Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Issue with OEM radio sound cutting out . . .

Old 07-11-2015, 05:21 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Re: Issue with OEM radio sound cutting out . . .

Originally Posted by Ian69
Have just checked and can feel a flow of out of the pipe and here the fan running
It is a gentle flow not a blast
Is this sufficient to cool it?

Should be IF the car A/C fan isn't on (you could be feeling the air exhausting out the end where it exits the car). If it is blowing with the car A/C fan off then it is blowing enough. So, something may be causing a thermal shutdown, is there any dirt/sand/debris around the amp? If not, is there a bad impedance mismatch on the output to the speakers (ohm the coils from the plug at the amp going to the speakers not the amp side, the values/pinouts are somewhere in the service manual available for download). Is there any specs for how much current the amp draws? Can you measure that value to compare it?

Old 07-11-2015, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

GG is right, this sounds to me (and I've worked in electronics since 1984 and currently work for JVCKenwood) like you have either a bad amp (It happens) or you have a bad load on the amp - is there ANY chance that you have one or more speakers not working or VERY low volume (this would indicate that maybe one side of the line feeding those speakers is coming electrically close to ground or the voice coil of one speaker has a shorted turn).

I'm sorry, but it may be hard to get to the bottom of this one! I actually have a spare OEM amp here I could send you, it was pulled from a car and given to me but I am going to go all JVC with my system (since I can get free stuff from our marketing department).

You could swap the amp, if THIS amp does the same thing, then you have a speaker/wiring issue. If this amp works fine, then just throw yours away!!!

That's as good as I can do.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe set the balance to either full left or right, and see if it fails, then set it the other side and see if it fails,
my guesses
if never fails when only on 1 side then it is a current/heat issue with amp
if fails on both sides, still probably amp or amp wiring (or maybe a sub, are the dual voice coils used as l/r in each one?)
if fails only on one side, that at least narrows it down to ½ the wiring or speakers.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had similar problems as reported on this thread -- radio working but intermittent sound. Tip: if you are searching ebay for a replacement amp search for a Jeep Infinity Amp as they used the same amp as the Crossfire in older Jeep models. Only difference are the mounting brackets which can be changed easily. Crossfire Infinity Amps on ebay run $300 and I picked up a Jeep Infinity Amp for $65.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gregm
Had similar problems as reported on this thread -- radio working but intermittent sound. Tip: if you are searching ebay for a replacement amp search for a Jeep Infinity Amp as they used the same amp as the Crossfire in older Jeep models. Only difference are the mounting brackets which can be changed easily. Crossfire Infinity Amps on ebay run $300 and I picked up a Jeep Infinity Amp for $65.
Excellent info, which Jeep, and what years?

Old 08-24-2015, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a link that should help
Infinity Amplifier Jeep Grand Cherokee 99 02 WJ | eBay

Old 08-24-2015, 03:50 PM

Great, now I need to look up where they hide them, maybe under the back seat? I might have a manual for the Grand Cherokee.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

interesting when looking up the p/n on the ebay auction.. notice the "fits" section..

AMPLIFIER. Power Amplifier. Radio made by Chrysler. #56038407AG

Old 08-24-2015, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
interesting when looking up the p/n on the ebay auction.. notice the "fits" section..

AMPLIFIER. Audio. Speakers, Amplifier, and Related Items for 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE. #05189332AA
Geez,
You Save$ 412.50 (22%)

Old 08-24-2015, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata

I would not be surprised if they are all interchangeable with main differences being brackets and power. great info, thanks!

Old 08-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

You can buy an entire totaled Crossfire with a good amplifier at auction for less than that !
Your Price $ 1462.50

Old 08-30-2015, 03:02 PM

I went to a u-pull-it junkyard today and saw 3 of these in Jeep Grand Cherokees.
First one I saw, I grabbed, it was from a 1999 and then I found another in a 1999, then a 2002. I only took the one from the 2002, and a length of harness so I have spare plugs and wires to mess with.
The part numbers I saw were
On the 1999s, 56038407AD & 36670
On the 2002 56038407AF & 36670C

If someone else has a need for one of these, I could grab one if they are still there next time I go.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:40 PM

Well looks like I may be able to rain on everyone's parade. I Just tried the amp in my car, and no sound, and it is a different size. It is noticeably longer. I will check it out more later today/tomorrow, and take comparison pictures.
The shape is similar, but swapped end for end, and the brackets are different. The connectors are the same and plug right in. I got 2 of these, so if I happen to have a dead one, I will try both.

Old 09-30-2023, 02:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know this is an old thread but did it work using the jeep amp for the crossfire amp?

Old 09-30-2023, 03:21 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by mariontr
I know this is an old thread but did it work using the jeep amp for the crossfire amp?
His last login was 7-31-2023 so you might get a reply, but from what I gather, it is not actually the same amp. Same manufacturer but not same model.

And with a little re-wiring, the new JVC and Kenwood (as well as others) amps are easily adapted to our cars; and their prices are attractive. One need only get the manual to our car out and compare to the diagrams that come with the new amp and off you go. There are three threads in the top of this part of the form ("STicky Threads") that give additional help in upgrading the system to four channels.

It is really not that hard and the new stuff on the market is really good, if you stay away from the super-cheap products.

Old 09-30-2023, 03:38 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

If you decide you want an OEM Crossfire amp, I have several available. $100.00 delivered to your door anywhere CONUS. You can email me at RedDogNumber1@aol.com.

Old 10-02-2023, 09:11 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pizzaguy and Red Dog, thanks for the response. Red Dog I may take you up on your offer, I'll email you separately. The only problem that I have encountered since the wet carpet after drain got plugged is the rear speakers no longer play, front works fine.

Old 10-02-2023, 05:20 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

pizzaguy and Red Dog, thanks for the response. Red Dog I may take you up on your offer, I'll email you separately. The only problem that I have encountered since the wet carpet after drain got plugged is the rear speakers no longer play, front works fine.
So your gutter drain(s) underneath the windshield cowl were clogged and water poured into the passenger side footwell flooding out the amplifier. Water and electronics to not get along well.

I have at least five OEM amlifiers available. When you email me please include photo of your OEM amplifier showing the part number . . . So I can match it up with one that I have . . .