Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Kenood KDC-BT762HD or other black receivers

Old 10-08-2015, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kenwood KDC-BT762HD or other black receivers

I am planning to install a new stereo head unit in my roadster, and I have read many threads here in the forum. It seems that the silver Kenwood KMR-D562BT is the current popular choice, but I figure that if I am going to install something new, it should have as many features as possible. I have never owned an HD radio, and I think that I would probably enjoy it if I had one. For this reason, I am now focused on the black Kenwood KDC-BT762 HD.
Amazon.com: Kenwood Single DIN In-Dash Bluetooth Car Stereo Receiver: Electronics Amazon.com: Kenwood Single DIN In-Dash Bluetooth Car Stereo Receiver: Electronics

Has anyone installed one of these units in their Crossfire? I am interested in hearing reviews, and would like to see a photo of the installation, if possible. If anyone wants to post photos of other black head units in their Crossfire, I would be interested in seeing those, too.

I had an idea yesterday, which I am also considering. I went to Best Buy and purchased both the silver KMR-D562BT and the black KDC-BT762HD. I took the silver trim ring and popped it onto the black head unit, just to see if it fits. As I expected, it fits fine. I also think it might look ok when installed in the car. Has anyone done this? I can buy the silver trim ring from Kenwood for $5.17. Kenwood Accessory Store

Last edited by CharlieO; 10-09-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Kenwood KDC-BT762HD or other black receivers

Originally Posted by CharlieO
I had an idea yesterday, which I am also considering. I went to Best Buy and purchased both the silver KMR-D562BT and the black KDC-BT762HD. I took the silver trim ring and popped it onto the black head unit, just to see if it fits. As I expected, it fits fine. I also think it might look ok when installed in the car. Has anyone done this? I can buy the silver trim ring from Kenwood for $5.17. Kenwood Accessory Store
I was thinking of that as well, and I was thinking of trying the silver faceplate on a different functioned black radio. I really want HD Radio!

Old 10-09-2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
I was thinking of that as well, and I was thinking of trying the silver faceplate on a different functioned black radio. I really want HD Radio!
I was wondering if the faceplates on these two Kenwood head units are essentially the same, with the color and model name being the only difference. It would be a hassle for me to power up both of the units which I currently have, and put the silver faceplate on the black unit. Does anyone else want to go to Best Buy and buy both units, to see if the swap will work? The silver KMR-D562BT faceplate is only $100. It would be worth that much extra to have a silver head unit with HD radio.

Last edited by CharlieO; 10-09-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieO
... The silver KMR-D562BT faceplate is only $100...
I think I paid $109 for the whole radio from Amazon. I was thinking of taking my faceplate into a store with demo units and trying it on them.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:41 AM
Default Re: Kenood KDC-BT762HD or other black receivers

This made me curious. I noticed on the Kenwood silver trim listing, it's compatible with a KMRD765BT. Hmm. what's that model?
Amazon.com : kenwood KMRD765BT Marine CD Receiver with Bluetooth : Car Electronics Amazon.com : kenwood KMRD765BT Marine CD Receiver with Bluetooth : Car Electronics
Surprise - silver marine with HD radio for $200. So if the HD radio feature is really worth the $90 additional, a factory alternative is available.

Couldn't convince my son that the upcharge was worthy of impact on his wallet (as he mostly listens to music from the microSD chip in his phone), so he'll stay with the 562, but Ill keep this model in mind for my (future) Crossfire. Still trying to decide, manual roadster or SRT-6, which would be more daily driver fun...

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Kowmander; 01-14-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kowmander
This made me curious. I noticed on the Kenwood silver trim listing, it's compatible with a KMRD765BT. Hmm. what's that model? Amazon.com : kenwood KMRD765BT Marine CD Receiver with Bluetooth : Car Electronics
Surprise - silver marine with HD radio for $200. So if the HD radio feature is really worth the $90 additional, a factory alternative is available.

Couldn't convince my son that the upcharge was worthy of impact on his wallet (as he mostly listens to music from the microSD chip in his phone), so he'll stay with the 562, but Ill keep this model in mind for my (future) Crossfire. Still trying to decide, manual roadster or SRT-6, which would be more daily driver fun...

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but unfortunately the information in the Amazon listing is incorrect. The KMR-D765BT does not have HD radio. I had been waiting Kenwood to release their 2016 marine radios, because I suspected that they might add a model with HD. The model number initially made me think that it might have HD because it seems to be the logical marine equivalent of the car audio 762BT, but that definitely is not the case.

Here is the Kenwood USA web page which describes the KMR-D765BT in detail: KMR-D765BT | Marine | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | KENWOOD USA

As you can see, there is no mention of HD. Just to be certain that I had the correct information, I called Kenwood. They confirmed that this unit does not have HD.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:23 PM

I tip my hat to your able research, kind sir. The 765 appears to only add a rear USB (and $50+) over the 562. A pity they simply won't make what we want!

Last edited by Kowmander; 01-15-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kowmander
I tip my hat to your able research, kind sir. The 765 appears to only add a rear USB (and $50+) over the 562. A pity they simply won't make what we want!
I would love rear USB, but not buying another radio just for that. I also really want HD Radio.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

KMRD765BT adds FLAC file playback from usb !
Ive just bought one. i want to use it with the stock amp and speakers.