Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Factory Amp vs New Hardware

Old 04-23-2016, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Amp vs New Hardware

I'm thinking about replacing my factory infinity (no nav) system.. Or really I'm stressing myself out over every possible options.

I've been looking at new head units, and after a little reading on a Sony deck with a built in amp (sony mex-xb100bt) I noticed that I have a factory amp already in the car.

Anyone have any thoughts on the merits of disabling the factory amp and going with the amp on this new unit, or selecting something else and and sticking with the amp in the car already? Just looking for some pros and cons, this is my first DIY stereo replacement.

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2016, 03:08 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Factory Amp vs New Hardware

Use the factory amp with your new decks speaker level out.
you should install caps on the door speakers so they dont stress out trying to make low bass.
The factory subs are pretty good ,if they dont sound great ,the foam surrounds are shot. theres an easy fix. Do a search
It will sound good!

Old 04-23-2016, 08:57 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Well funny you should ask about this as I have personal experience both ways . . .

I just recently installed the Kenwood KMR-D562BT radio unit into BOTH of my SRT6 roadsters. That is a FANTASTIC head unit and I would highly recommend it. Just changing the head unit made a world of difference in the sound quality (and you won't need to do that resistor thing in the door speakers).

I bought radio units from this E-Bay seller . . . (Note this link takes you to a different model radio . . . a KMR D365BT) but this is the seller I bought from) . . .

Kenwood KMR D365BT Marine CD MP3 WMA Player Bluetooth SiriusXM Radio Ready New | eBay

Now on to your other questions . . . In my black SRT6 roadster I also replaced the OEM infinity amp and ALL of the speakers. I had this amp installed which fits in the OEM amp location . . .

It sounds really really great and I'm more than satisfied with the results. The ONLY negative issue is that I'm picking up some ignition "noise" through the sound system. That may actually be an "installation" issue and not an issue with the hardware. Need to look into that further.

On my SSB roadster I left the OEM Infinity AMP installed AND the OEM door speakers but had to replace the subwoofers because they were shot (the foam around the speakers had deteriorated).

My conclusion is that the factory OEM Infinity head unit is really a POS and should be replaced. The OEM Infinity AMP, however, is more than satisfactory if you put in a new head unit and the difference is night and day even with the factory OEM amp and factory speakers. If your OEM speakers are still in good shape I wouldn't bother replacing them. Just putting in that Kenwood head unit will provide GREAT results and you should end up happy. Start with that Kenwood head unit and move on to speakers and amp only if you need to . . .

Best regards,
Bob Davis (Red Dog)

Last edited by RED DOG; 04-24-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:20 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by RED DOG
My conclusion is that the factory OEM Infinity head unit is really a POS and should be replaced. The OEM Infinity AMP, however, is more than satisfactory if you put in a new head unit and the difference is night and day even with the factory OEM amp and factory speakers. If your OEM speakers are still in good shape I wouldn't bother replacing them. Just putting in that Kenwood head unit will provide GREAT results and you should end up happy. Start with that Kenwood head unit and move on to speakers and amp only if you need to . . .

Best regards,
Bob Davis (Red Dog)
I think Bob is right here. I've heard that some of aftermarket amps don't have the noise suppression the factory amp has, and as Bob has said, the equalization available in the new head units lets you set up how the speakers are driven.

Many have said that taking a lot of the bass out of the front speakers and emphasizing bass in the rear speakers sounds good - and as Bob said, this means no capcitors needed in the doors. (I would point out that adding the caps to any limited car is real easy. Base/SE models not so easy as the connections are different in the doors.)

Old 05-04-2016, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I decided on a Kenwood deck
(Kenwood KDC-X998 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com)

So I've got it installed and I've run across a new adventure... seems I'm only getting a faint crackle out of the rear speakers. I plugged in the old stereo just to learn that the rears aren't working with it either.. just a little bass thump and crackle. Thoughts anyone? Blown amp?

Old 05-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

More than likely the subs have disintegrated, common problem at 10+ years old.

BTW, that head unit has 4 volt pre-amp outs, should be OK to drive the Infinity amplifier without having to use the speaker out wires.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:08 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

When you installed your new amp, did you run new power wire?
Alot of amp installation interface problems is the run the power wire the same location as the rca, running in different places and keeping the power wire away from any input wires is best, if still problems than a noise filter put in line should help get ride of the annoying wine.

I have my new amp delivered today, thought I would ask here before I tore into anything.
Has anyone found a good spot to run power wire through the passenger firewall, I am mounting my new amp behind the passenger seat, plan on running the power wire through passenger firewall, passenger kick panel and back, My rca and remote wire are already ran through console and ready, just need to run power wire, 4 ga.
Have a pair of audiobahn amd60h 6.5, low frequencies down to 30 hz and very small air space needed in a box .15 cu foot.

Just qurious if anyone has dug into passenger firewall, TY
Speedy

Old 09-10-2016, 12:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ground loop isolator
Would get rid of excess noise, just remembered the name.