Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Help with car audio.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with car audio.

I am at my wit's end. The original head unit was replaced with an aftermarket unit and worked fine for a few months and then sound stopped working all together. Fuses are all good. Replaced the head unit and bypassed the amp and it worked fine for a few weeks and now I am back at the same problem. Head unit powers on and everything appears to be working but I am not getting any sound from any speaker. If anyone can even point me in a direction I would be very grateful.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts
Default Re: Help with car audio.

What head unit did you use?

Old 07-08-2016, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
What head unit did you use?
Originally it was a blaupunkt that I replaced it with and now it is a pioneer. The same problem happened to the pioneer as the blaupunkt. Worked fine for a while then just stopped playing any sound whatsoever. The amp has been bypassed so all four speakers are just getting speaker level input. Thank you for replying. Also both head units were still receiving power at the time of the sound malfunction and the pioneer is still receiving power

Last edited by Caleb; 07-08-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Well, you are making me question your speaker wiring. Not that the speakers are "unhoooked" but that, perhaps, something is wired such that the output stage(s) in the head units are taking damage.

I've seen some people actually ground one side of the speaker, thinking "Everything needs a good ground", but in these systems, the speakers 'float' above ground.

OR..... you wired too many speaking in parallel.

OR..... You wired left and right together. (Saw one time where a guy put an extra speaker in and wired it between left and right and called it a 'Center Channel Woofer'.)

Old 07-08-2016, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Well, you are making me question your speaker wiring. Not that the speakers are "unhoooked" but that, perhaps, something is wired such that the output stage(s) in the head units are taking damage.

I've seen some people actually ground one side of the speaker, thinking "Everything needs a good ground", but in these systems, the speakers 'float' above ground.

OR..... you wired too many speaking in parallel.

OR..... You wired left and right together. (Saw one time where a guy put an extra speaker in and wired it between left and right and called it a 'Center Channel Woofer'.)
Okay so a new development I just took the faceplate off and put it back on and it seems to be working so I guess I can assume that it is a bad connection on the faceplate? Thank you so much for all of your help.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Administrator

At least this way, you didn't wire it wrong - just a typical "gotcha"...