Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Rear wing spoiler motor

Old 10-15-2016, 09:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wing spoiler motor

I'll start at the end - the motor has continuity between the two sides. I'll add that it is on the bench.

Hopefully someone here has trouble shot a rear spoiler.

The beginning: I bought it on eBay and tested it out by hooking it up to the spoiler's motor with a battery. It sort of grunted. I switched the wires and it went up and down just fine.

Today I hooked up the motor portion of a 12 spade switch along with an inline fuse. It also grunted, but blew the fuse. I hooked up a basic on/off/on switch to the motor, but as soon as I connected the ground wire, it grunted again. But I didn't have the switch to on. Thus finding that there is continuity between the two 'sides'.

Should I assume it is new motor time? Or is there a quick fix (yeah, sure)? I assume the motor is sealed...for my protection.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:13 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: Rear wing spoiler motor

Originally Posted by BibaResto
I'll start at the end - the motor has continuity between the two sides. I'll add that it is on the bench.

The beginning: I bought it on eBay and tested it out by hooking it up to the spoiler's motor with a battery. It sort of grunted. I switched the wires and it went up and down just fine.

Today I hooked up the motor portion of a 12 spade switch along with an inline fuse. It also grunted, but blew the fuse. I hooked up a basic on/off/on switch to the motor, but as soon as I connected the ground wire, it grunted again. But I didn't have the switch to on. Thus finding that there is continuity between the two 'sides'.

Should I assume it is new motor time? Or is there a quick fix (yeah, sure)? I assume the motor is sealed...for my protection.

Way too much unknown here. I do know if you blew a fuse, you are guessing and the wiring/motor may have suffered. Barring that (since I do not know exactly what wires you hooked up when it 'grunted') if you hooked up those two wires with the limit switches 'downline' in the circuit, you also may have damaged the limit switch contacts (or not, again do not know exactly how you hooked up the motor/spoiler assembly when you 'blew' the fuse). I do not have experience with the spoiler assembly but know that the whole assembly has limit switches as a minimum. Good luck with the project you are trying to get working!

Old 10-16-2016, 07:30 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

No clue what you are saying. What "IT" did you buy on eBay and then test by hooking it up to the motor?

Old 12-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wing spoiler motor

Belated reply. Hopefully my terms are at least 'fairly' correct. I'll add that my various trials to have the spoiler raised/lowered by various means has failed.

Very Long Shot (VLS): Since the PCM has been, ummm, hacked to increase the engine's output, why couldn't the spoiler control's 'information' in the BCM be lifted from a Ltd or Base XF and installed in the SRT6's BCM? (whew).

Yes, the 'control' program along with the electronics/sensors would need to be installed. Is it possible it 'might' be a stand alone? Im assuming they planned from the beginning to install an analog spoiler in the SRT6.

Okay, so my terminology is no doubt way off, but perhaps you at least get what I'm suggesting.

I'm sure if it could work, finding someone to put/pull it all together is something else again.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:56 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Belated reply. Hopefully my terms are at least 'fairly' correct. I'll add that my various trials to have the spoiler raised/lowered by various means has failed.

Very Long Shot (VLS): Since the PCM has been, ummm, hacked to increase the engine's output, why couldn't the spoiler control's 'information' in the BCM be lifted from a Ltd or Base XF and installed in the SRT6's BCM? (whew).

Yes, the 'control' program along with the electronics/sensors would need to be installed. Is it possible it 'might' be a stand alone? Im assuming they planned from the beginning to install an analog spoiler in the SRT6.

Okay, so my terminology is no doubt way off, but perhaps you at least get what I'm suggesting.

I'm sure if it could work, finding someone to put/pull it all together is something else again.
FUBU has fitted an NA spoiler to his SRT, how it works I have no idea, ask him for tips.