Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Help Needed from Audio Gurus

Old 12-14-2016, 02:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help Needed from Audio Gurus

I have two questions for the audio gurus on the forum.

Question 1 is about the stock Infinity (no navigation) stereo in my 2004 Crossfire: Does the head unit / receiver or the power amplifier filter the audio frequencies for the subwoofers behind the seats?

I assume that the head unit filters the signals for the subwoofers, but am not sure and cannot find any info that clarifies this point. I did find a diagram in the Service Manual on page 8W-47-3 that clearly shows two separate connections between the radio and the amplifier, one for the front (door) speakers and another for the rear (subwoofer) speakers.

Having recently replaced my head unit with a Kenwood (Notes on Replacing Stock Infinity with a Kenwood) I am trying to understand how to connect the Kenwood’s RCA speaker outputs. The options are: Front & Rear or Front & Subwoofer. Also, the Kenwood provides a number of audio controls for the subwoofer that would allow me to fiddle its filtering, though I doubt that I will.

Question 2: If I replace the stock subwoofers with new speakers should the new ones be run full frequency or as subwoofers?

Since it appears that after 13 years my subwoofers are shot I am considering replacing them rather than repairing them as others have. (Still need to confirm that the foam is shot, but there is a lack of sound and air pressure.)

Thanks for any advice.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:28 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Help Needed from Audio Gurus

Originally Posted by BobG
I have two questions for the audio gurus on the forum.

Question 1 is about the stock Infinity (no navigation) stereo in my 2004 Crossfire: Does the head unit / receiver or the power amplifier filter the audio frequencies for the subwoofers behind the seats?

I assume that the head unit filters the signals for the subwoofers, but am not sure and cannot find any info that clarifies this point. I did find a diagram in the Service Manual on page 8W-47-3 that clearly shows two separate connections between the radio and the amplifier, one for the front (door) speakers and another for the rear (subwoofer) speakers.

Having recently replaced my head unit with a Kenwood (Notes on Replacing Stock Infinity with a Kenwood) I am trying to understand how to connect the Kenwood’s RCA speaker outputs. The options are: Front & Rear or Front & Subwoofer. Also, the Kenwood provides a number of audio controls for the subwoofer that would allow me to fiddle its filtering, though I doubt that I will.

Question 2: If I replace the stock subwoofers with new speakers should the new ones be run full frequency or as subwoofers?

Since it appears that after 13 years my subwoofers are shot I am considering replacing them rather than repairing them as others have. (Still need to confirm that the foam is shot, but there is a lack of sound and air pressure.)

Thanks for any advice.
Why not add this question to the thread you have noted in this thread? As it helps keep all the relevant info together and easier to read.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Why not add this question to the thread you have noted in this thread? As it helps keep all the relevant info together and easier to read.
I was 30-70 on that decision, as I considered these questions being applicable to other replacement receivers and speakers.

That said, I get your point and will copy them to that thread.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:04 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by BobG
I was 30-70 on that decision, as I considered these questions being applicable to other replacement receivers and speakers.

That said, I get your point and will copy them to that thread.
That is a good move, it really only applies to you at the moment as it is your problem that needs to be solved.
When you have the answers you can write it all up and then it will apply to other set ups like yours.