Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Pulled the fuse for the alarm - will this be a problem

Old 03-18-2017, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled the fuse for the alarm - will this be a problem

The coupe's been having intermittent, nuisance-y electrical issues. But yesterday the alarm went off while I was driving it, then stopped. Got it home, shut the engine off, and 10 minutes later the alarm went off again. I pulled the battery cables for the night. Read through the forum, and I see that it's happened to folks before, for a variety of expensive reasons.

This morning I pulled the fuse for the alarm, then replaced the battery cables. Success.

Question: will I have any problems running without the fuse? There are a few items tied to that fuse (interior overhead light, a few others), but not critical. Any problems or issues if I just run w/out the fuse?

Old 03-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Re: Pulled the fuse for the alarm - will this be a problem

Originally Posted by WingMan
The coupe's been having intermittent, nuisance-y electrical issues. But yesterday the alarm went off while I was driving it, then stopped. Got it home, shut the engine off, and 10 minutes later the alarm went off again. I pulled the battery cables for the night. Read through the forum, and I see that it's happened to folks before, for a variety of expensive reasons.

This morning I pulled the fuse for the alarm, then replaced the battery cables. Success.

Question: will I have any problems running without the fuse? There are a few items tied to that fuse (interior overhead light, a few others), but not critical. Any problems or issues if I just run w/out the fuse?

Check for water in the lower rear (under the foam blocks) at the locking module (right side).

Old 03-20-2017, 12:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do one of several things. Remove the siren (located under the cowl), remove the siren and replace it with a new one, or remove the siren and replace the internal batteries. There is a very excellent PDF on how to do this on this site. The internal batteries have leaked due to age onto the circuit board in the siren and this is causing shorts.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:13 PM

Thank you both!

I've seen the pdf for removing the cowl/siren, and will likely go this route. In the meantime I'm driving without the fuse, and there are no unexpected negative consequences. I was afraid that the alarm system might be tied in with the ignition, but that's proven to be not the case.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:09 PM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

The coupe's been having intermittent, nuisance-y electrical issues.

I say again, due to this comment, I suggest you check if water has intruded into the right rear of the rear under the foam. It is a recurring problem when water intrudes into the modules located there from a couple of documented sources. IT DOES NOT HURT TO CHECK/ELIMINATE this common problem.

Thank you both!

I've seen the pdf for removing the cowl/siren, and will likely go this route. In the meantime I'm driving without the fuse, and there are no unexpected negative consequences. I was afraid that the alarm system might be tied in with the ignition, but that's proven to be not the case.

Regarding the siren, if corroded batteries are your issues, you can either unplug it and lose that alarm function OR try the 'cricket-on-crack' battery (internal to the siren) .pdf to repair the siren corroded batteries (unless the whole board is corroded throughout). Good luck Wingman, on whatever you choose!

Old 03-20-2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I say again, due to this comment, I suggest you check if water has intruded into the right rear of the rear under the foam. It is a recurring problem when water intrudes into the modules located there from a couple of documented sources. IT DOES NOT HURT TO CHECK/ELIMINATE this common problem.
Thank you, GG! I'll look into this as well.