Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

How-To: Install an Aftermarket Stereo

Old 12-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post How-To: Install an Aftermarket Stereo

I've been poking around the forums for a couple of weeks and I was able to piece together what I needed to do, but I never found a step-by-step guide on how to do everything. Since I'm an auditor I figured I'd do my best at giving a detailed explanation.

Tools/Items Needed:

1. Wiring Harness: Scosche VW01B
  2. Antenna Adapter: Male or Female ended Euro Adapter. I went to a local shop and found it cheaper.
  3. Wire stripper and crimp caps: Crutchfield has a good deal.
  4. Stock stereo removal keys: Crutchfield has a multi-tool for $10 or CarDomain has single key version for $4.
If you're new to Crutchfield. You can use the code: pt8dp-h92ij-qce2d and get $20 off of your purchase. Yes this is a referral thing they do which gives me cash off my next purchase, but it is helping you out as well by getting you all this stuff for a lot less than you would normally pay. You have the option to use it or not.

Remove the Stock Stereo:
  1. Insert the keys into the slots at the bottom of the stereo with the notches facing inward. The Crutchfield keys had to be inserted all the way to latch. You should hear a click for each key.
  2. Pull the unit out and disconnect the harness and antenna.
  3. On each side of the stereo you'll see the latch that the key is attached to. Use a screwdriver and press down on the latch until it clicks and releases the key. (See Picture)
Splice and Attach the Harness:
  1. When splicing the Scosche harness to the aftermarket harness that comes with your new headunit remember that you can do this inside.
  2. Match the colors of each wire and crimp them together with the crimp caps. Do this for all the wires EXCEPT the Red, Yellow, and Blue wires. The constant and switched power wires are flipped, so you will need to connect the Red wire of the Scosche harness to the Yellow wire of the aftermarket one and the Yellow wire of the Scosche harness to the Red wire of the aftermarket harness. The Blue antenna wire on the Scosche unit is actually the remote wire. Attach the Blue-White wire from the aftermarket harness to the Blue wire on the Scosche harness. (See Picture) It is usually recommended that you use the RCA Pre-Outs in the back of your aftermarket unit so that you do not blow out your speakers. However, I have yet to have any problems. I haven't seen any posts with problems from this either.
  3. Now is a good time to run the wires for a Line-In connection to an iPod or any other device (See below)

4. Insert the metal sleeve that comes with your aftermarket single DIN headunit into the slot in the car. In the top of the sleeve are two metal fins that can be pushed up to lock the sleeve in place. The fins at the bottom will not fold down.

5. Plug each end of the finished harness into the car and headunit
  6. Plug each end of the antenna adapter into the car and headunit.
  7. Test the headunit.
  8. Slide the new headunit in and enjoy!

Line-In Hookups:
  1. Open your glovebox and look towards the bottom left seam. You will see a small hole that conveniently goes into the space behind the stereo. If you have hands small enough to reach into the stereo hole you can feel for this.
  2. The hole is not big enough to run any RCA or Line-In connectors through, but it is big enough for the wires. If you remove the screws around the glovebox (See Picture) you will be able to move the casing enough to be able to fit a connection through the hole.
  3. There is also an open seam running back to the floor mat of the passenger side (See Picture). Any wires put through the hole can be run along this seam and under the floor mat. I used this to run a Line-In over to the center console to my iPod. If you cut a piece of one of those sticky pads the size of the top of your "cup-holder" you have a nice place for an iPod.
I hope this helps everyone out. This is really not that hard of an install, and it is definitely not worth $135 like I've seen some people say they've spent. Take an hour on a Saturday and do it yourself. You can use the extra cash on more toys.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Radio.jpg (51.1 KB, 3989 views)
Wires.jpg (82.9 KB, 4897 views)
Glovebox.jpg (61.2 KB, 3808 views)
Floormat.jpg (68.2 KB, 3578 views)
Finished.jpg (52.8 KB, 4157 views)
The following users liked this post:
Tpt1st (08-31-2022)
Old 12-31-2005, 04:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How-To: Install an Aftermarket Stereo

Nice job and a great DYI article!!!

Old 12-31-2005, 10:24 PM

nice instructions...what head unit did you install?

Old 01-01-2006, 10:05 PM

It's a JVC KD-LH3100. I had it laying around, and after the frustrations of not having an iPod hookup, I decided to put it in. The Silver was a spot on match with the console. The unit also lets you choose whatever color you want the display to be when you have the lights either on or off. Right now I have it set to a red that matches the dash for the day and a green that matches the console lights at night.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

A good how to, I couldn't have explained it better myself.
The factory amp is high input so just use the front speaker wires from the head unit, no problems at all.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:36 AM

First, I would have to say this seems like a nice forum.

I have a 2004 Autostick. I am installing an Alpine 9835. I found out about the powered wire switch. I also have been working with connecting the remote directly to the constant. (Anyone seen problems with this) Also I have been having issues with the fade. It seems that even though I put it to rear, it still plays out of the lower door speakers. Also I have noticed that there is only 1 wire going to each speaker. Is there a certain order of positive and negative I should be using. Thanks for all the help.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by NanoSfere
First, I would have to say this seems like a nice forum.

I have a 2004 Autostick. I am installing an Alpine 9835. I found out about the powered wire switch. I also have been working with connecting the remote directly to the constant. (Anyone seen problems with this) Also I have been having issues with the fade. It seems that even though I put it to rear, it still plays out of the lower door speakers. Also I have noticed that there is only 1 wire going to each speaker. Is there a certain order of positive and negative I should be using. Thanks for all the help.
Check this forum and scroll down to peter_k.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ead.php?t=9057

Old 03-09-2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by KyleBrantner

Thanks, now all I have to do is figure out the time correction/x over/eq settings on my alpine unit.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by KyleBrantner

Andrew; can you make this link to the wiring diagram a sticky named "factory stereo wiring diagram" I find it very useful.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by mattpolantz
I've been poking around the forums for a couple of weeks and I was able to piece together what I needed to do, but I never found a step-by-step guide on how to do everything. Since I'm an auditor I figured I'd do my best at giving a detailed explanation.

Tools/Items Needed:

1. Wiring Harness: Scosche VW01B
  2. Antenna Adapter: Male or Female ended Euro Adapter. I went to a local shop and found it cheaper.
  3. Wire stripper and crimp caps: Crutchfield has a good deal.
  4. Stock stereo removal keys: Crutchfield has a multi-tool for $10 or CarDomain has single key version for $4.
If you're new to Crutchfield. You can use the code: pt8dp-h92ij-qce2d and get $20 off of your purchase. Yes this is a referral thing they do which gives me cash off my next purchase, but it is helping you out as well by getting you all this stuff for a lot less than you would normally pay. You have the option to use it or not.

Remove the Stock Stereo:
  1. Insert the keys into the slots at the bottom of the stereo with the notches facing inward. The Crutchfield keys had to be inserted all the way to latch. You should hear a click for each key.
  2. Pull the unit out and disconnect the harness and antenna.
  3. On each side of the stereo you'll see the latch that the key is attached to. Use a screwdriver and press down on the latch until it clicks and releases the key. (See Picture)
Splice and Attach the Harness:
  1. When splicing the Scosche harness to the aftermarket harness that comes with your new headunit remember that you can do this inside.
  2. Match the colors of each wire and crimp them together with the crimp caps. Do this for all the wires EXCEPT the Red, Yellow, and Blue wires. The constant and switched power wires are flipped, so you will need to connect the Red wire of the Scosche harness to the Yellow wire of the aftermarket one and the Yellow wire of the Scosche harness to the Red wire of the aftermarket harness. The Blue antenna wire on the Scosche unit is actually the remote wire. Attach the Blue-White wire from the aftermarket harness to the Blue wire on the Scosche harness. (See Picture) It is usually recommended that you use the RCA Pre-Outs in the back of your aftermarket unit so that you do not blow out your speakers. However, I have yet to have any problems. I haven't seen any posts with problems from this either.
  3. Now is a good time to run the wires for a Line-In connection to an iPod or any other device (See below)

4. Insert the metal sleeve that comes with your aftermarket single DIN headunit into the slot in the car. In the top of the sleeve are two metal fins that can be pushed up to lock the sleeve in place. The fins at the bottom will not fold down.

5. Plug each end of the finished harness into the car and headunit
  6. Plug each end of the antenna adapter into the car and headunit.
  7. Test the headunit.
  8. Slide the new headunit in and enjoy!

Line-In Hookups:
  1. Open your glovebox and look towards the bottom left seam. You will see a small hole that conveniently goes into the space behind the stereo. If you have hands small enough to reach into the stereo hole you can feel for this.
  2. The hole is not big enough to run any RCA or Line-In connectors through, but it is big enough for the wires. If you remove the screws around the glovebox (See Picture) you will be able to move the casing enough to be able to fit a connection through the hole.
  3. There is also an open seam running back to the floor mat of the passenger side (See Picture). Any wires put through the hole can be run along this seam and under the floor mat. I used this to run a Line-In over to the center console to my iPod. If you cut a piece of one of those sticky pads the size of the top of your "cup-holder" you have a nice place for an iPod.
I hope this helps everyone out. This is really not that hard of an install, and it is definitely not worth $135 like I've seen some people say they've spent. Take an hour on a Saturday and do it yourself. You can use the extra cash on more toys.
Great Write Up!!! Two Questions.

1)Which antenna adapter do you use? I see that you put two different options or does it not matter which one?
2)What wire do you hook up to the stock amp so you can utilize the two stock subwoofers? Where is the amp located and what wire do you hook up to which wire on the harness?

Thanks,

Gary

Old 06-26-2007, 05:16 PM

I'm going to have to go off of memory for this since I have since sold my Crossfire. I've found that motorcycles don't fit very well in the back.

1) The antenna adapter you buy depends on the stereo that you plan to install. The one I put in used a male adapter. Some people may need the female.

2) Don't worry about which wires go to the amp. Hook everything up according to the color code I provided. The "subwoofers" are actually rear speakers with decent base ability. Everything runs through the amp. Don't worry about using your preouts for this, you won't blow the amp.

Cheers,
Matt

Old 06-26-2007, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by mattpolantz
I'm going to have to go off of memory for this since I have since sold my Crossfire. I've found that motorcycles don't fit very well in the back.

1) The antenna adapter you buy depends on the stereo that you plan to install. The one I put in used a male adapter. Some people may need the female.

2) Don't worry about which wires go to the amp. Hook everything up according to the color code I provided. The "subwoofers" are actually rear speakers with decent base ability. Everything runs through the amp. Don't worry about using your preouts for this, you won't blow the amp.

Cheers,
Matt
HAHAHA that is sweet what kind of Bike???

1)I have the pioneer Avic n-1 head unit. Do you know where I would find out which one I need?
2)I was told by crutchfield that I would need to run a wire to the amp to utilize the stock subs...so you are saying I just hook up the wires the way you have listed with the harness I bought and the speakers/subs will work fine?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-26-2007, 06:55 PM

I picked up a Ducati Multistrada. I figured the maintenance costs of a German vehicle were too low, so I decided to go Italian. She has the best looking a** of any bike I've seen, but has a butter face...much like many of the women in my life.

1) I can't find a shot of the back of the N-1 for where you hook up the antenna. It's pretty obvious if you compare how the two of them fit together. You insert the male adapter into a hole in the new unit. The female adapter is on the receiving end of things.

2) Just hook up everything like I pictured. You don't need to mess with the amp at all. When I was done hooking everything up the bass hit hard enough to rattle my side mirrors a good bit, which the stock head unit could barely do. That should be enough bass for you. If it isn't then you need a lot more hardware than the head unit.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:03 PM

Quite sadly, the time has come for me to turn in my Crossfire. The 39 month lease is at an end. My question now is, when removing my aftermarket stereo, what is the best way to remove the metal sleeve from the dash??? I'm guessing I'll just have to bend the hell out of it to get it out but if someone knows a better way please let me know.

Coincidently, I will soon be selling a Pioneer Premier DEH-960MP with the line-out adapter for an MP3 player. Naturally, will come pre-wired for a Crossfire so installation shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. The only thing missing MIGHT be the metal sleeve depending on the answers I get to my above question. PM me if you're interested.

http://www.cbrstereo.com/browseprodu...DEH-960MP.html

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ndfrspeed2
Quite sadly, the time has come for me to turn in my Crossfire. The 39 month lease is at an end. My question now is, when removing my aftermarket stereo, what is the best way to remove the metal sleeve from the dash??? I'm guessing I'll just have to bend the hell out of it to get it out but if someone knows a better way please let me know.

Coincidently, I will soon be selling a Pioneer Premier DEH-960MP with the line-out adapter for an MP3 player. Naturally, will come pre-wired for a Crossfire so installation shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. The only thing missing MIGHT be the metal sleeve depending on the answers I get to my above question. PM me if you're interested.

http://www.cbrstereo.com/browseprodu...DEH-960MP.html

Thanks!
Just remove the stereo and take a mini flat head and gently bend the tabs on the sleeve back towards the original position. You should be able to remove the sleeve. How much do you want for the stereo?

Old 07-29-2007, 01:26 PM

I'd like to install a JVC KD-NX5000 in my 2005 Crossfire, but have been told there are no harnesses available to handle the fiber optic amp cable. How does your installation get around this problem? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:05 PM

Two Questions guys.

1) I ordered the Euro Antenna Adapter (Euro female to Motorola male) and it will not connect into the antenna on the crossfires end. Any suggestions?

2) It also looks like I need a dash kit in order to put my Avic n-1 in the place of the old radio. It looks like it will just go right in. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Old 08-14-2007, 03:29 AM

WOW! I see some people still remember my post...LOL.

As far as the dash kit is concerned, you don't need one. The opening in our vehicles is a standard 1-din... As far as the wiring to the factory amp is concerned, you only need to do that if you want two things...

A) Maximum sound quality... RCA-Level outputs on any deck are much cleaner than the MOSFET IC chip used for the speaker outputs...

B) You want to be able to control the subwoofer level...

If you need any other information, Infinity on our forum has some really good insight, insider information for us.

Hope that helps...

Old 08-20-2007, 05:02 PM

Is the Scosche harness the only one that will work, or is that just the brand that Crutchfield sells?

While I'm waiting for some other parts to come in, I picked up the harness from my local shop and they gave me a different brand (but they pulled the model number off Crutchfield right in front of me). They also had a version with RCA outs to the factory amp, but I told them I'd take the non-RCA because that is what the link in this thread provided.

Does it sound like I'll be kosher here?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:53 PM

Any brand will work, doesn't have to be Scosche... Can be Metra, Best Kits, etc...

If you do a search, I posted up on using RCA's and splicing in at the factory amp in order to get subwoofer control and better sound Q from the fronts.

The RCA harness that they showed you, won't have any real benefit over speaker level other than some better sound quality... BUT you need to have a deck with a high Volt Pre-out (like 4 Volts and up) to properly get the same volume out of the amp...

Quick Reply: How-To: Install an Aftermarket Stereo