-C-I-C-C-I Discussion The place for members and those interested in joining the Club.

What Happened ?

Old 01-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What Happened ?

Boy has this forum dropped to zero... Has the novelty of the Crossfire gone away, as well as the car ? No wonder we have ZIP for aftermarket performance parts, I can't even get the head honcho's from DC to give me the engine specs. for high profile SCCA Club Racing and I have spoken with all of them. Do they not take pride in their product and the support and promotion ? It seems like we're all being hustled into 7-11 to buy a slurpee with wheels these days.

What a waste of time and $$$ this little car has become... And the manufacturers are just selling pizza by the slice... Have fun, enjoy the car, gimme your money, SEE YA LATER !!!

It used to be that the mfgs. would rally around a new vehicle to support and promote it... Now they hide their head...

I have decided never to purchase another Chrysler product, nor will I campaign the Crossfire in SCCA racing since I can't even get the answers to my questions from DC...

I hope the HOT-AIR that the GM reps. are blowing about the Pontiac Solstice has a little bit more substance, Otherwise I'm taking delivery of the Lotus Exige I ordered and will never look back... It has a Japanese engine...

Last edited by HDDP; 01-25-2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What Happened ?

Oh Nooooooooo Say It Ain't Sooooooooo.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HDDP, give it some more time. The Crossfire is still relatively new, and my guess is the vast majority of the people who own them are not yet ready to tinker on them. When residuals drop to the point where the cars become more accessible for "projects", I think you'll see an increase in aftermarket parts. Even in the sport compact community, you'll notice that a low entry price is a key reason that older Civics are the cars of choice to modify. And, in the Mustang world, you'll notice that the vast majority of weekend projects are late fox body cars (as opposed to brand new ones). Many of the aftermarket companies that I've talked to are interested in the Crossfire market and see these types of cars as one way to diversify out of the shrinking sport compact market.

Getting nil support from DC on the other hand is a bad deal. But you've done a superb job modifying an obscure car for track duty. Challenge can be its own reward, and perhaps forging ahead (where no one has gone before) could be a lot more meaningful than following the crowd.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:05 AM
Banned

I think the Lotus is the best bet for the Track that's what it's built for! Try Lotus of South-Bay. Dave Sato tell him Dan sent you he'll discount!!! They have 40 units in stock now!!!

Old 01-22-2006, 12:59 PM

Oddly enough, last week this gal suggested I modify my CF, then she said, Naaa, it's already designed!

I have seen men, mostly women, say NICE CAR! as they are driving by me (by reading their lips! hehe). Some even say it to me when I get out of it, complete strangers of course. My wife asked me if I could stand to go without all the attention I get by owning it.

So I'm not sure what more I can do to it. I am toying with the idea of touching it with my air brush though.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by juddz
Getting nil support from DC on the other hand is a bad deal. But you've done a superb job modifying an obscure car for track duty. Challenge can be its own reward, and perhaps forging ahead (where no one has gone before) could be a lot more meaningful than following the crowd.
Sorry about the tyriad, I'm just a little miffed that DC still doesn't have the engineering specs. for the engine. How F'ing hard is it to get a copy of the MVAA from the files. Geeze !

With all due respect to DC, It's not like I've been talking to some secretary in the front office, I've been in touch with the "Chief Engineers" of the Crossfire. This isn't brain surgery, they have to have the information on file.

I've also asked them repeatedly for the pdf version of the Part# catalog. This is just getting a bit frustrating and taking all the fun out of the car...

Last edited by HDDP; 01-22-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:01 PM

Unfortunately, you are a "small fish" in a big corporate pond.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Root
I think the Lotus is the best bet for the Track that's what it's built for! Try Lotus of South-Bay. Dave Sato tell him Dan sent you he'll discount!!! They have 40 units in stock now!!!
Not the Elise, DAN... The Exige. It still hasn't been delivered to the states yet... I'm #68 on the waiting list...

Old 01-22-2006, 11:28 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HDDP
... The Exige. It still hasn't been delivered to the states yet... I'm #68 on the waiting list...
lotus's bumper and headlamp compliance waiver is due to expire at the end of 2007, so get the unmolested exige while you still can. only 300 are slated to be built (by hand) this year.

lucky you.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by andrew
lotus's bumper and headlamp compliance waiver is due to expire at the end of 2007, so get the unmolested exige while you still can. only 300 are slated to be built (by hand) this year.

lucky you.
Lucky me if it ever gets delivered... I put $2,500 to be on a waiting list back in Sept. They said 9 months (no pun) to deliver... I haven't heard squat...

Old 01-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Banned

Call Dave Sato anyway they will have them! For the extra bucks they want, I'd take the Cayman though or ZO6. You could at least drive them home from the track!!!

Old 01-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Honorary -C-I-C-C-I Member
Thumbs up Re: What Happened ?

DAN...You have done it AGAIN!!!

CHANGED THE SUBJECT!!!

Lets get BACK to the original...I agree about DCz obvious lack of interest in the Crossfire. I have written a dozen letters to a dozen different folks requesting acknowledgement of XFI and its intentions.
I have only asked for recognition and I have received NADA!
I talked to a man at the MOPAR Nats last year and he assured me that through him the info would reach "THE RIGHT PERSON"...again NADA.

But I'm not giving up. I like my XF...man I even bought a second one!!

Keep Smilin' - JD

Old 02-01-2006, 03:22 PM

I looked at the Lotus because you sparked my interest. I mean no disrespect, but that is the most horrible looking car I have ever seen.

I know you were just vented- but the Crossfire is much more attractive and has its own unique body lines.

That being said- I am not into racing- showing- or even touring, but I am into a car that grabs peoples attention and makes me proud to own- that car is the Crossfire for me.

Best of luck and as you blow by me in your Lotus- I will be waving and smiling...

Old 02-01-2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by GodofWar
I looked at the Lotus because you sparked my interest. I mean no disrespect, but that is the most horrible looking car I have ever seen.

I know you were just vented- but the Crossfire is much more attractive and has its own unique body lines.

That being said- I am not into racing- showing- or even touring, but I am into a car that grabs peoples attention and makes me proud to own- that car is the Crossfire for me.

Best of luck and as you blow by me in your Lotus- I will be waving and smiling...
I know, ain't it the butt ugliest thing you've ever seen ?... LOL but what the heck it will be a track car...

Old 02-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Smile Re: What Happened ?

Originally Posted by HDDP
I know, ain't it the butt ugliest thing you've ever seen ?... LOL but what the heck it will be a track car...
A $100,000.00 track car...

And what do you do for a living?

Old 02-01-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by GodofWar
A $100,000.00 track car...

And what do you do for a living?
It's not $100k... Only $54,000 and I'm a cameraman in Hollywood and love racing...

Old 02-07-2006, 05:12 AM
Banned

I posted this in another thread - but I will in this one also... My Crossfire was recently picked up by three different sponsors and in speaking with the larger of the three whom works with many other aftermarket companies they told me that they have received ALOT of requests on the Crossfire - they stated that in speaking with other aftermarket manufacturers it has just been a matter of testing and tuning and that the aftermarket in the Crossfire is ready to blow up within 3-4 months from now... Everything from body kits, to turbo kits, to supercharger kits, etc... Is all about ready to hit the market... Be patient!!! This is a very unique car - and with it really having quite a few changes from the SLK it's quite a confusing one... Very few people know what they're doing with this car and it's still quite new on the market - these things take time!!! The 350Z is on its last year (fifth, I believe) and they are still coming out with new products and perfecting the turbo kits... The Infiniti G35 coupe is an even better example of something in the realm of the Crossfire that has taken some time to produce an aftermarket and is near it's cut off date and now just starting to flourish (the new model comes out in '07). Aftermarket manufacturers will take on just about anything... I saw a '95 Plymouth BREEZE with a body kit the other day... wtf??? But take the Prowler for example - even more rare than the Cross, and it still has quite the aftermarket on it... You just need to know where to look...

Old 10-11-2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by afws04
the aftermarket in the Crossfire is ready to blow up within 3-4 months from now...
3-4 months from February was 4-5 months ago. So...where's all the stuff? You said we just need to know where to look, so, where?

Old 10-11-2006, 11:46 PM

Why? What happened?

We need a Cross-Up. Now that I work from home, I've put less than 3,000 miles on in over a year, and most of that was a couple trips to Kitty Hawk.

By the way, put in the K&N's, and just bought the cargo cover. Gotta figure out how to install that thing, the instructions SUCK.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by David Burns
just bought the cargo cover. Gotta figure out how to install that thing, the instructions SUCK.
They really do...

Quick Reply: What Happened ?