Canada Serving Canada.

Southern Ontario Crossfire Owners (S.O.C.O.)

Old 08-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Southern Ontario Crossfire Owners (S.O.C.O.)

HTML Code:
Yes, I see 3 more members from the Ottawa area. I could start a new thread under "eastern Ontario". What is involved in registering?

I bought the car june 11th from a lad in Brantford, on. The car needed some attention. It was summer driven only as well. First thing I did was balancing the tires. Second, adjust the windows to stop the wind noise. Also, the rear hatch latch was improperly adjusted, only latching in the first position. Third, I did an oil change. Sure has a neat oil filter arrangement. The darn thing swallowed just about 8L of oil. I am not using synthetic, not sure if that's ok? I reset the maintenance reminder but I am tempted to do another oil change before that 11000km comes around. What do you think?

To register, just submit a request to Sparkie on this thread asking to be added to the list.
Sounds like you you know your way around cars a bit, what with the adjustments that you've done, etc. I'm a little concerned about the oil, though. I believe the only recommended oil from Chrysler/Mercedes is Mobil 1 0W40 synthetic. I'd be tempted to flush the system & get the proper oil in there now. Do a search on the forum about oil - there will be a lot written about oil & filters. I haven't looked into it myself, it's just something I didn't mess with. The factory says "do this", and I did it.

Last edited by Ottawa John; 08-21-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Cool re: Southern Ontario Crossfire Owners (S.O.C.O.)

Originally Posted by turbomar
Yes, I see 3 more members from the Ottawa area. I could start a new thread under "eastern Ontario". What is involved in registering?

I bought the car june 11th from a lad in Brantford, on. The car needed some attention. It was summer driven only as well. First thing I did was balancing the tires. Second, adjust the windows to stop the wind noise. Also, the rear hatch latch was improperly adjusted, only latching in the first position. Third, I did an oil change. Sure has a neat oil filter arrangement. The darn thing swallowed just about 8L of oil. I am not using synthetic, not sure if that's ok? I reset the maintenance reminder but I am tempted to do another oil change before that 11000km comes around. What do you think?

Just last week, an american couple approached me while parking at a local restaurant. They had recently purchased an 05 blue roadster. We had a 15 min chat about our cars. We both agreed that the roadster is the better looking car. I have seen a cream colored roadster in my area a few times. What's the story behind your Roadster?

Turbomar

I have to butt in here, although I am not from Eastern Ontario;
I would definitely be putting synthetic back in that engine..........recommended oil from the manufacturer and anyone you may talk to, if that is what it came with from the factory. Mobile 1 0-50 I believe is the recommendation but that might be hard to find, so you may have to compromise there and go a little lighter weight..........but definitely 'synthetic'.

BTW, I disagree with your two owner assessment..............the Coupe is far better styling! LOL!

Old 08-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Forum Regular

PHP Code:
I have to butt in herealthough I am not from Eastern Ontario
I dunno - Port Perry isn't exactly the center of the universe, either. LOL -
In previous jobs that I had it was looked after as part of an Eastern Ontario territory. A nice little place, not really close to anything.
Coupes are nice. Roadsters are nicer. Yellow ones are the best.

"What's the story behind your Roadster?"
I bought it for my wife last year - it's exactly what I wanted. I used to ride motorcycles but it didn't work out too well - plus, my wife never really got into taking trips on it, etc. So after a lengthy recuperation I wanted something better for the two of us to enjoy. I started reviewing different convertibles available and came across what seemed to be remarkable value in these cars - especially in the U.S. market. Much cheaper than here. Yellow is her favourite colour, so I started searching for a good value and found this one in Detroit. We negotiated by email, came to an agreement, and we drove down to cement the deal. One of the best I've ever made, I think. It's definitely my (her) all time favourite car.

Now, go change that oil.

Last edited by Ottawa John; 08-21-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Forum Regular

Hey TURBOPAR -
Here's a link that I came across in another part of the forum. It'll help with a lot of service related items, including different specs.
Crossfire Repair Manuals

Old 08-21-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ottawa John
PHP Code:
I have to butt in herealthough I am not from Eastern Ontario
I dunno - Port Perry isn't exactly the center of the universe, either. LOL -
In previous jobs that I had it was looked after as part of an Eastern Ontario territory. A nice little place, not really close to anything.
Coupes are nice. Roadsters are nicer. Yellow ones are the best.
Not sure when that was but now it seems so close to Oshawa, Whitby and Toronto that it surely is considered Southern Ontario; where Eastern Ontario begins, I'm not sure, maybe Belleville or Kingston East............East of the 'lakehead' possibly!???

Anyways, as you can see by the pics, I can go both ways.........Coupe or Convertible and yellow is my favourite colour...............too bad a yellow Coupe wasn't available in '04.
But the SSB Coupe is nice too!

Attached Thumbnails Southern Ontario Crossfire Owners (S.O.C.O.)-corvette-2008.jpg   Southern Ontario Crossfire Owners (S.O.C.O.)-corvette-canada-day.jpg   Southern Ontario Crossfire Owners (S.O.C.O.)-img038.jpg  
Old 08-21-2011, 01:36 PM

Hey TURBOPAR -
Here's a link that I came across in another part of the forum. It'll help with a lot of service related items, including different specs.
Crossfire Repair Manuals

I think that 5.5L engine oil is way off the mark...............you can put 8L in and possibly still not show enough on the dipstick.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Forum Regular

PHP Code:
I think that 5.5L engine oil is way off the mark...............you can put 8L in and possibly still not show enough on the dipstick
That's right - the correct amount is 8L. That's addressed elsewhere on a thread, too. But the key is the correct oil.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Forum Regular

HTML Code:
But the SSB Coupe is nice too!
It certainly is. I really can't find much wrong with any of them.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile re: Southern Ontario Crossfire Owners (S.O.C.O.)

Hey TURBOPAR -
Crossfire Repair Manuals
Thanks Ottawa John for the link. Will do an oil change next weekend!

Man, it rained like 3" today, the pool skimmer is overflowing here!

another question... When I lock the car, I dont see an LED blinking anywhere. Are these car supposed to have an alarm LED?

Here is an interesting story: 3 weeks ago, I paid a visit to the Brockville dealership. The only person qualified to work on the crossfire was the service manager. He told me that they had only ever serviced 2 crossfires and had only sold 1. Because of the one sale, they were obligated to purchase a tool box with all the crossfire specialty tools worth $35 000. I believe a Crossfire in 2004 retailed for aprox $49000. Do the math... I think small dealerships dont like crossfires!

Old 08-21-2011, 07:40 PM

another question... When I lock the car, I dont see an LED blinking anywhere. Are these car supposed to have an alarm LED?
Someone may correct me if I'm wrong................yes, there is a flashing red light when the car is locked and alarmed properly; I believe it is down on the centre stack, possibly on the button that controls the 'anti-towing'.

I may be wrong on where the light is but about 100% positive that it exists.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Forum Regular

HTML Code:
When I lock the car, I dont see an LED blinking anywhere
I don't think mine does either. Now I'll have to check into that in the morning. It's a good question to put in the general forum for everyone else to weigh in on.
Regarding the tools costs at the dealership - could it be an exaggeration? $35K sounds like a lot for an already fully equipped shop. Lots of forum members go to a Mercedes dealership because that's essentially what these cars are and their mechanics know what they're doing on them. Lots also do the maintenance themselves, too. This forum is great for info on that stuff, including many part #'s crossovers.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:04 PM

HTML Code:
When I lock the car, I dont see an LED blinking anywhere
I don't think mine does either. Now I'll have to check into that in the morning. It's a good question to put in the general forum for everyone else to weigh in on.
Regarding the tools costs at the dealership - could it be an exaggeration? $35K sounds like a lot for an already fully equipped shop. Lots of forum members go to a Mercedes dealership because that's essentially what these cars are and their mechanics know what they're doing on them. Lots also do the maintenance themselves, too. This forum is great for info on that stuff, including many part #'s crossovers.

Just to clarify something..............when you use your key fob to lock or unlock the Xfire,
you will not hear a chirp. The tail lights will flash on and off and you can hear the locks go up or down but that is it. It would have been nice to hear a 'chirp' but it doesn't happen.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by mbepic
Someone may correct me if I'm wrong................yes, there is a flashing red light when the car is locked and alarmed properly; I believe it is down on the centre stack, possibly on the button that controls the 'anti-towing'.

I may be wrong on where the light is but about 100% positive that it exists.
You are totally correct, the LED that shows the system is set is on the Anti-towing Protection switch and it blinks.

As for the cost of the Crossfire Tool chest, $35,000 does seem extreme. The sum mentioned more often is around $7,500, but I am sure the training for the technician did not come cheaply.

The newer siren does incorporate the chirp feature and it costs around $170. Not a cheap chirp by any standards. https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/audio-video-electronics/23022-factory-alarm-chirp-solved-read.html
The cheap chirp can be done at home and that solution costs about $5, the method to do this is covered in a thread here on the forum. https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...lert-tone.html

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-21-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up re: Southern Ontario Crossfire Owners (S.O.C.O.)

yes, I spotted that LED now. It's so small. I can hardly see it, even at night because my windows are tinted.

I'm thinking of installing an alternating blue/red LED in the dome light housing. It would be cool looking at night, reflecting on the center council.

Turbomar

Old 08-23-2011, 06:29 AM

yes, I spotted that LED now. It's so small. I can hardly see it, even at night because my windows are tinted.

I'm thinking of installing an alternating blue/red LED in the dome light housing. It would be cool looking at night, reflecting on the center council.

Turbomar

Ya, sorta like the Saturday Night Fever disco lighting from the early 80's!

Old 08-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

SOUTHERN ONTARIO CROSSFIRE OWNERS (S.O.C.O.) Registry

Get this thread back on track. Start another thread if you few just want to gab off topic

Old 08-27-2011, 10:53 AM

RonGarant, Essex

Old 08-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaner
SOUTHERN ONTARIO CROSSFIRE OWNERS (S.O.C.O.) Registry

Get this thread back on track. Start another thread if you few just want to gab off topic
Ooooooooooooh!

Post#98
[quote-Beaner]Lorne... If you want to leave that Challenger at my place, I would make some room for it! I would say leave the crossfire at home again and take the challenger if I were you, but come over and visit us![/quote]

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-27-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Ooooooooooooh!

Post#98
but post #99 was back on track... not 20 posts later

Old 08-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

I thought you were in TO for the weekend?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Southern Ontario Crossfire Owners (S.O.C.O.)