Canada Serving Canada.

Speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts
Angry Speeding ticket

I got a speeding ticket the other day, $50+ for 15k/h over the limit. I was not going that fast and the cop wanted to give out a ticket.
As usual his first words were "How are you today Sir" to which I replied "Obviously not too well".
Originally he said I was doing 98 in a 60k/h zone. Trouble was a Mustang came up behind me fast, real fast and disappeared by turning right before the cop broke cover and pulled me over for going through a speed trap a ways back. I think he at first thought I was the high speed merchant, but looking at the stunned old sod in the car, that would be me of course, he must have had second thoughts and clarified it with the cop with the radar gun back down the road. Not wanted to let a easy buck pass he hit me with the 15 over ticket. He had the nerve to tell me that he was reducing the ticket from 38 over to 15 over, like I was born yesterday and was still wet behind the f 'ing ears. He knew he was wrong but as is usual could not say he was wrong.
I will at least lodge a complaint at his station.
I have not had a ticket for 20 plus years.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:41 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts
Default Re: Speeding ticket

You have never impressed me as the type that would knowingly do more than 5 over.

Anyway, over here, I don't THINK an officer can write you up for what ANOTHER officer sees. I THINK that is how it works.
THis all sounds screwy to me.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:07 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Umm.. I don't think the airplane has to land and write you up... could be wrong..

And I know for a fact.. you run the toll gate.. they just radio the 5 cars waiting around the bend where I get on the turnpike.. Observation only here on this one.."Looks" like a service van sitting off the side of the gate....

Old 09-19-2013, 12:23 AM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Ah, but do they write you up on what the Pilot says, or does the plane simply tip off ground units to what they see?

You could be right...

Old 09-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed trap Mark. I an sure you have seen them. One LEO laying over the hood, both hands on the radar gun shooting you as you round the turn. Then 5 or 6 chase cars around the next curve gathering up the kills like good hunting dogs. Very efficent set up, and one where they kill your rabbit and you.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not know that SPEEDY GONZALES was English?????. Lorne

Old 09-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I got a speeding ticket the other day, $50+ for 15k/h over the limit. I was not going that fast and the cop wanted to give out a ticket.
As usual his first words were "How are you today Sir" to which I replied "Obviously not too well".
Originally he said I was doing 98 in a 60k/h zone. Trouble was a Mustang came up behind me fast, real fast and disappeared by turning right before the cop broke cover and pulled me over for going through a speed trap a ways back. I think he at first thought I was the high speed merchant, but looking at the stunned old sod in the car, that would be me of course, he must have had second thoughts and clarified it with the cop with the radar gun back down the road. Not wanted to let a easy buck pass he hit me with the 15 over ticket. He had the nerve to tell me that he was reducing the ticket from 38 over to 15 over, like I was born yesterday and was still wet behind the f 'ing ears. He knew he was wrong but as is usual could not say he was wrong.
I will at least lodge a complaint at his station.
I have not had a ticket for 20 plus years.
You need to fight the ticket. I am pretty sure they wont even show up for just 15 over. Please do fight.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

YES PLEASE FIGHT IT!!!

From here on in though.... Dash cam time!

I personally cant trust anyone to be honest anymore, so i dont go anywhere without my trusty dashcam on.
Its hard evidence for when things take a turn for the worst, especialy in todays sue / ticket happy society.
A high rez model with GPS is a must, but they usualy pay for themselves for even one 'Event"

I find it absurd that police have the power to give out these BS style tickets, with not a care in the world, and helping drive the price of rediclious insurance up even more for people who arnt a "hazard" to society.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:08 PM

Btw also get Waze app on mobile. I started using it couple of days back and its amazing. Waze has been bought by Google and basically looks like Google Map but you can see Waze users on map and users can mark police + speed traps for other users to know their locations. Also like construction and car stopped on the side can be marked by any user. Very nice app.

For your ticket you might need to do a little bit of homework. Search online and you will find details. This include requesting proof against you prior to court date. There are things the police officer has to do before he can use the radar gun.(write everything you remember from that day and use whatever you can against them). Little homework will go a long way. Also I heard if you change the court date to something other than what is given then there are more chances of cop not showing on the date as they have specific day set for just court hearings. For this you have to notify the court a week before and someone else has to go in and hand the letter over to the court if am not wrong. Letter should state that you are going out of town for work or something else.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry for your loss 180. I just retired but what would an ole' deputy know about radar, lidar, vascar, etc? Especially 1 that last patrolled the halls of a medical facility. But I will tell you this. Unless the shooter was behind you, the Mustang didn't trip his gun. The leading car is what they will see, If lidar, then they can narrow their target even more. I believe you when you stated you weren't going that fast as you would certainly know that difference, but you must prove the other guy was or they tracked the wrong guy. That is sometimes hard to do. But not impossible. Speed traps is something I never participated in nor ever cared to do. Too many chances for errors. Planes can be used, and using 1 car to target while others write is commonly done here in the states and is legal. I hope you win, but it won't be easy.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:16 PM

they are now using drones with imbedded logic at total recall. no chance of a reprieve in court. pay the ticket and slow down. that is the design.... Soon GPS will do your driving. NO speeding....safer.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by arado
they are now using drones with imbedded logic at total recall. no chance of a reprieve in court. pay the ticket and slow down. that is the design.... Soon GPS will do your driving. NO speeding....safer.
what would be the use of sports car then? Sport cars at highway should be limited to 130km and normal cars 110. Simple you pay more to get a sport car so u can speed or do like Germany make autobahn no limit at all. Much safer that way

Old 09-19-2013, 08:22 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

they are now using drones with imbedded logic at total recall..

Ah Gary......thanks I needed that. Hardest I laughed all day. Keep em coming. LMFAO

Old 09-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Go too fast and you'll have a air to ground missile up your a$$.
If I get too many tickets the wife will be doing my driving, forget about GPS.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:42 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Go too fast and you'll have a air to ground missile up your a$$.
If I get too many tickets the wife will be doing my driving, forget about GPS.
Last time I was passing through Caledon East there was a two way trap set up as I was heading south on Airport heading into town where it drops to 60 then 50.
One of the Caledon OPP's has a reputation up here of even giving tickets to other cops from other regions. ......brotherhood means nothing apparently.