Canada Serving Canada.

E test fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: E test fiasco

HTML Code:
The loose heat shield over the cat was due to the salt interacting with the steel speed nut and the aluminum heat shield
The corrosion may have been exacerbated by the salt, but steel & aluminum in contact with each other is a bad combination and wiill cause the aluminum to corrode regardless. I once did marketing and territory development for Krown Rust Control, and we had a lot of success with the product on steel/aluminum applications. Krown is not actually an "oil spray" or coating, it's a chemical treatment that interacts with oxidation on steel. As such, it won't directly protect the aluminum from salt, but it will help in protecting it from the reaction caused by the steel screw being in contact with the aluminum.
I haven't been associated directly with Krown for a number years, but I do believe in their product. My Crossfire never sees snow, and hardly ever rain, but I still had it sprayed when I got it.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Ottawa John
HTML Code:
The loose heat shield over the cat was due to the salt interacting with the steel speed nut and the aluminum heat shield
The corrosion may have been exacerbated by the salt, but steel & aluminum in contact with each other is a bad combination and wiill cause the aluminum to corrode regardless. I once did marketing and territory development for Krown Rust Control, and we had a lot of success with the product on steel/aluminum applications. Krown is not actually an "oil spray" or coating, it's a chemical treatment that interacts with oxidation on steel. As such, it won't directly protect the aluminum from salt, but it will help in protecting it from the reaction caused by the steel screw being in contact with the aluminum.
I haven't been associated directly with Krown for a number years, but I do believe in their product. My Crossfire never sees snow, and hardly ever rain, but I still had it sprayed when I got it.
Steel and aluminum will corrode in combination with each other, but they need an electrolyte such as water or even a damp atmosphere. this will cause a rather slow rate of corrosion. Add salt to the environment and the action becomes very aggressive. I have used steel screws in aluminum with no problems but they were dry.

I have not used any underseal/undercoat for years, I think that the makers have pretty well got it under control and that the process is overpriced for what it does and it is a messy eyesore on a Garage Queen.

It probably is good for the buyer of my used cars but let them pay.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Forum Regular

g
HTML Code:
Steel and aluminum will corrode in combination with each  other, but they need an electrolyte such as water or even a damp  atmosphere. this will cause a rather slow rate of corrosion. Add salt to  the environment and the action becomes very aggressive. I have used  steel screws in aluminum with no problems but they were dry.

I have not used any underseal/undercoat for years, I think that the  makers have pretty well got it under control and that the process is  overpriced for what it does and it is a messy eyesore on a Garage Queen.;)
It probably is good for the buyer of my used cars but let them pay.:)
Big sigh. Really big SIGH. This is a common attitude that we were constantly butting up against. However, the work that we did in spraying municipal salt trucks, Ontario Hydro, city transit companies and buses among many private fleets would suggest that the benefits outweigh the long term cost of repairs of not having the vehicles protected.
If the manufacturers really had things under control, you wouldn't have had the problems that you do.
Keep in mind that Krown is not an underseal or undercoat - it is a chemical protection that interacts with the steel. Once applied and the excess "carrier" has run off, the product is essentially invisible. It will also help with the greening of electrical connections, etc.
Krown is relatively inexpensive, and if your vehicles were protected with it they would last longer and cost less to keep on the road. You would get more for them from the next buyer or see better value over a longer term. But I don't want to get into it with you. I've seen the results and live with them. The only thing that I can't argue against is a temporary mess after the application. You're right about that. And I'm not here to do a commercial for the product, either. But there are misconceptions about what corrosion protection is and can do, and you have hit on most of them.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:18 PM

Update
After the trials and tribulations of the ABS/ESP repair and the e test troubles I had to get the knocking sounds fixed from all four corners of the suspension. With that problem solved my wife told me last Friday the ABS/ESP light was on again. This time the problem lies in a passenger side speed sensor, OK no big surprise as this car is a piece of garbage.

I realized we needed a reliable car pretty soon. Which make? Chrysler - no way, GM - they just let people die - no way. Ford - nah. I had seen and liked a Hyundai Veloster and liked it but wanted four doors.

Today I went on my own to suss out a new car, I had researched Hyundai cars before on the net and thought they would be fine. My wife said any color, any car as long as it was reliable. I tried out a car and told the sales lady I would want a white one and came home with prices etc. When I got home I was told the 300 had acted oddly when put into gear while I was out. I could not get it to repeat and I did not find anything funny at all.

That was the final straw, back to the dealer. My wife tried a demo, liked it but suddenly did not like white with a black interior, she selected a bronze colored one that I had previously told the sales lady earlier would be my last choice in color, I rolled my eyes at the sales lady and she laughed. Deal done, Thursday all my problems will be behind me, as if.

Anyone want a reliable (would I lie to you?) 2007 Chrysler 300 cheap?

Old 05-20-2014, 08:39 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,
You probably just want to find a good home for it at this point. It just so happens that I'm looking for a larger bodied car for our Fall "DERBY". I'll take good car of it.....I promise.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Dave,
You probably just want to find a good home for it at this point. It just so happens that I'm looking for a larger bodied car for our Fall "DERBY". I'll take good car of it.....I promise.
Too good for a Rock 'em Sock 'em derby, but only just.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:03 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had researched Hyundai cars before on the net and thought they would be fine
Hyundai make great cars....I'm sure you will be happy for many years to come....I would have thought you would have traded in the 300 just to take it off your hands...

Old 05-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Can't go wrong with a good ole Alabama made Hyundai ........

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hy...6ed08c5ef98842

or

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hy...6ed08c5ef98842

Last edited by ala_xfire; 05-21-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Just what I want, a Monday car slapped together by some good old red neck boys hung over from moon shine.
Out of the frying pan into the BBQ coals.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:41 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by tonygg

Hyundai make great cars....I'm sure you will be happy for many years to come....I would have thought you would have traded in the 300 just to take it off your hands...

I too was wondering why you didn't take the easy way out and flog it ?

ps I have an old Heddon bamboo flyfishing rod in my closet screaming "trade me for the 300.....trade me for the 300" j/k

Old 05-21-2014, 10:44 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

pss..........I know its too late.............but if you bought the car from Orangeville Hyundai (I know the GM VERY well.)

Old 05-21-2014, 11:18 PM

I too was wondering why you didn't take the easy way out and flog it ?

ps I have an old Heddon bamboo flyfishing rod in my closet screaming "trade me for the 300.....trade me for the 300" j/k
I like to keep my car deals clean, no confusion over what you are paying for the new car. The 300 should sell fast enough as is in the Auto Trader.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:22 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I like to keep my car deals clean, no confusion over what you are paying for the new car. The 300 should sell fast enough as is in the Auto Trader.

Okay so there's no point in me upping the anti to include a 15 and 17 yr old?

All joking aside, I'm not looking for another car.......driveway is full of liability already. And I've never been to the fall fair. BUT I do have a fly rod with your name on it.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:34 PM

Okay so there's no point in me upping the anti to include a 15 and 17 yr old?

All joking aside, I'm not looking for another car.......driveway is full of liability already. And I've never been to the fall fair. BUT I do have a fly rod with your name on it.
Oooohh!
PM me with a price and we should be golden.
I got it at Bolton Hyundai.

A bronze colored Hyundai showed up in the drive yesterday, it even has a navigation unit in it with up to date maps, no more 'Off Road' excursions for us.

Took me an hour to program the garage door opener, I finally did what the instructions said rather than what I thought they said. It took all of 30 seconds when I did what the instructions said.

As a result of my actions I erased the code from the other two cars and a remote mounted outside the garage. Dumba$$ that I am.
They were all re-programed in three minutes when I knew how.
The lesson learned - read the instructions all the way through and do what they say.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-23-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:37 AM
Forum Regular
Location: Colborne Ontario, Orlando FL. (winter) Haliburton Ont. (summer)

Well after new rcm and new battery it was time for the etest. took it in on friday and held my breath. Passed with flying colors. **** it is almost July and the car is now back ont the road.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:37 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

I too am in the midst of an etest fiasco. My car failed today based on "Not Ready" status. Cost me $30 and now I have to go back on Friday after driving the car more. Fridays test will be another $20

Old 09-09-2014, 11:51 PM

I too am in the midst of an etest fiasco. My car failed today based on "Not Ready" status. Cost me $30 and now I have to go back on Friday after driving the car more. Fridays test will be another $20
A trip down the 410 at a steady 100 kph to Queen Street and back up Dixie Road was good for me.
My code reader told me when it was fine.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:50 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
A trip down the 410 at a steady 100 kph to Queen Street and back up Dixie Road was good for me.
My code reader told me when it was fine
My Crossfires passed the new emissions test first time, np. Who are the losers now?

Old 09-10-2014, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
My Crossfires passed the new emissions test first time, np. Who are the losers now?
The 300 failed because of two new sensors being fitted and the garage that did it checked the codes it to see if it would pass and their scanner said what particular part of the test it would fail. Twice they did that for free until the 410 trip satisfied all the requirements. The Crossfire passed the first time, I knew it would need some miles on it to pass the test, having disconnected the battery for some work. So I did the 410 trip again. it passed 1st time but it cost me the price of a temporary tag.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:52 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

I had found a tutorial here on the forum of "How to disconnect the negative cable" so I did that several times for practice before the test.. (F'ing troll loser).

Actually, I had not driven the car for the last two months and I hooked the battery back up and drove it into the GTA and back on Saturday night 200km, 30km spin on Sunday and another 15km on Monday before dropping the car off in the evening. Still not enough readiness to pass? This etest "not ready" cash grab is unbelievable. Tomorrow I'm going to Guelph, Woodstock, Ingersoll then taking it back in for the retest.

Quick Reply: E test fiasco