Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Switchbacks & Shorelines

Bump. Come one, come all!

Old 06-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Forum Regular

Suzanne & I took a trial run around the route last week and had a great time. Great roads, blue skies, green grass and shimmering lakes and rivers. It’s going to be fun!!
The name doesn’t lie - there are plenty of switchbacks and shorelines, but it’s where there are both at the same time that it’s really fun. The best shoreline will be at our motel, The Sands on Golden Lake. Remember that there are spa services here, but you need to book them in advance if you want them. Sands on Golden Lake
For those coming in early on Saturday and for the locals who want to come, we’ll meet at The Rare Restaurant Welcome to RARE Restaurant & Bar in Kanata - RARE Restaurant & Bar at 7:30 p.m. for refreshments. If you haven’t yet had supper, they have a good bar menu as well. Please let me know your plans.
Sunday the tour formally begins. We’ll meet at Baker’s Bean BakersBean.com - Bakers Bean Village Cafe where the brew is built better. at 9 a.m. for breakfast, and be on the road by 10. A pit stop in Almonte, if necessary, and a for sure stop in Calabogie – just for washroom & coffee, though. It’s not lunch time yet. The roads out of Almonte gradually begin to rise and fall with a few curves thrown in for good measure, and even more so to Calabogie. This is a favourite run for local bikers. After Calabogie we get into some great curves as we run alongside Black Donald Lake. From here we’re heading over to The Pine Valley Restaurant in Griffith. Standard fast food fare, but they’re doing what they can to accommodate the bunch of us - our own patio service if the weather is co-operating.
A short stretch on Hwys 41 and 28, and we get into some great backroads. We’ll run through Foymount – just to say we’ve been there. This is the highest point in Ontario, and home to an abandoned and somewhat burned out military communications base. The Country Connection Magazine Story: Foymount We’ll also pass by Brudenell – everybody does. There’s not much there anymore – it’s one of Ontario’s ghost towns.
By the late 1860s, Brudenell had three hotels with taverns, blacksmiths, carpenters, shoemakers, a racetrack, a school and a Roman Catholic church. Brudenell was on the stage line to nearby Eganville, Rockingham and Combermere, and had plenty of offerings for travellers stopping along the way. Its main industries seem to have been gambling, drinking, and sex - not necessarily in that order. The arrival of Jim and Mike Costello from Ireland in the early 1870s did absolutely nothing to enhance Brudenell's unsavoury reputation. It was under their watch that Brudenell became known as the most notorious 'sin-bucket' along the Opeongo.” For more information, see Brudenell Ontario
It’s all downhill from here as we wind our way through more switchbacks, through Killaloe, and around to the Sands Motel with enough time for a refreshment or two and maybe a refreshing dip in Golden Lake before dinner in the Sands dining room overlooking the lake.
Monday for breakfast and at 9 a.m. we’ll be on the road again. Down through Eganville and on to the Bonnechere Caves Bonnechere Caves and at the Fourth Chute Waterfalls of Ontario: Fourth Chute This stop will take an hour or more – but there’s no rush. We’ll make our way through some more twisty roads, past Calabogie again, and end up at the Neat Café for lunch. Home | Neat Food
A short run of about an hour and we’re back and finished the tour. What a weekend!
Tuesday is Canada Day. If you’re staying, the Parliament Hill activities are like no other.
We’re looking forward to seeing everyone –
John & Sue

Last edited by Ottawa John; 06-15-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:25 PM

Sounds like a fun run unfortunately we will be on the other side of Ont
Enjoy and don't forget to keep us posted!

Old 06-20-2014, 05:12 PM
Forum Regular

Bump for participant update

Old 06-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks John and Sue for this well put together day 1 cruise. The weather was as good as it gets and the friendly association was just wonderful!

Attached Thumbnails Switchbacks & Shorelines-pano_20140629_101152.jpg  
Old 07-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another great S.O.C.O. event for the record book!
John & Sue always put together a nice tour with interesting sights and more. Thank You!
It was nice meeting new introductions as the S.O.C.O. group appears to continually grow.
Looking forward to future events....

(Forgot to mention a thanks to Mario for checking a number of RCM's on the Sunday night. Mario pulled them out and Paul provided the soldering iron. Their we were, drinks in hand as Mario removed a number of modules, took a look and deemed which ones needed soldering. Mine and one other looked solid and didn't require any attention while others looked suspicious and deemed worthy of Paul's soldering skills!)

Last edited by user 8202; 07-01-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks Tony, but it's you guys who make the extra effort to travel that make these events the success that they are. We really appreciate that. Well, you guys and singing restauranteurs.
I'll get more pictures and video together some time in the future.

Attached Thumbnails Switchbacks & Shorelines-pine-valley-1.jpg  
Old 07-05-2014, 08:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Gayle and I had a great time meeting and cruising with all of you! Glad Mario and I could assist in the RCM re-soldering. I should be able to get my videos to John by the end of the week so he can add his and share with the group. I will have the RCM video edited soon and posted here also. Don't forget to join us on Facebook at "Crossfire Owners" were we have appx 1000 members across the world sharing their stories and cars

Paul & Gayle

Old 07-12-2014, 12:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks from me too, John and Sue, for having organized a fun trip. As always, a chance to meet friends and to make new ones - the day(s) did not disappoint in any aspect. Potential RCM problem averted as well... Now, I have to think focus on that sticky ignition switch issue. It has happened to me twice in two weeks now. I think I have a big problem looming here.

Regardless, it was a great time. Norm and I are going to try to put our planning skills together for a run through the Collingwood and Muskoka lakes area. Not sure when, but we did a trial run of a possible route and Norm enjoyed it. We'll keep you posted!

Thanks to everyone again for your commraderie!

Attached Thumbnails Switchbacks & Shorelines-john-xfire-port-perry-photo-july-2014.jpg  
Old 07-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks John. Suzanne & I really enjoyed the weekend too. We'll find a way to get the sticky ignition fixes done at a GTG as well.
The Muskoka/Collingwood cruise sounds like a good idea. Keep us posted.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be nice to be able to wedge in an extra cruise this summer. If the situation permits, we will be able to fix your lock cylinder next time we meet John

Old 07-12-2014, 02:52 PM

Hope to be able to join you this time....