Canada Serving Canada.

Switchbacks & Shorelines

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switchbacks & Shorelines

Who’s in for a nice Eastern Ontario cruise the July long weekend? This will be a good one – great roads with twists, turns, hills & gullies – Switchbacks & Shorelines!
The plan is to meet up in Richmond (Ottawa) on Saturday June the 28th at your leisure. A relaxing evening of refreshments and dinner at a location TBD and an overnight stay in the hotel/motel of your choice. Recommendations can be made, if you wish. On Sunday the cruise formally begins with breakfast at everyone’s favourite coffee and breakfast sandwich spot in Richmond – Baker’s Bean http://www.bakersbean.com
From there we’ll head up through the Bonnechere and Madawaska River Valleys on what is known as The Switchback and Shorelines tour http://www.ottawavalley.travel/Valley_Explore/Drive/Driving_Tour_Guide/Switchbacks_and_Shorelines.html If we pushed a little we could easily do this run in a day, but hey – why push things? After all, it’s a long weekend. So let’s break it in half with a nice stay at The Golden Sands Motel. But this is much more than a motel – it has great rooms, a beach, terrific restaurant, and for anyone in need of a little pampering, full spa facilities. Check it out - http://www.sandsongoldenlake.com/index.php
A leisurely start to the day on Monday (more spa treatments first to soothe those aching heads?) will bring us back to the second half of the Switchback and Shorelines tour. The evening is ours, and leaves Tuesday for those needing to travel. Or, stay on an extra day or two and enjoy Canada’s birthday in the Capital. If you haven’t experienced Canada Day in the capital, it will be something to remember. There’s nothing like it!
Who’s in? Let me know, and make your reservations at the Golden Sands and mention the Crossfire Club. Keep in mind this is a long weekend – things will undoubtedly fill up fast. Spa treatments and facilities must also be booked in advance.

Looking forward to meeting up –
John

Who's in?
John & Sue - Booked at Golden Sands
Tony - Booked at Golden Sands & Holiday Inn Kanata
Lorne & Elaine - Booked at Golden Sands & Comfort Inn
Mario -
Booked at Golden Sands
Paul & Gayle Diguer - Sunday only
Hal & CFO Johnson - Booked at Rideau Heights Motel
Norm Allaire - Booked at Golden Sands
Glenn & Sandra McCormack -
Booked at Golden Sands - meeting Sunday night
John Greer aka "Pit Marshall"? - Booked at Golden Sands

Last edited by Ottawa John; 06-26-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Update
Old 03-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Swichbacks & Shorelines

We are in John. I start my Vacation on the Monday, so that works out great!

Old 03-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Switchbacks & Shorelines

Ohhhh - we're gonna have fun! Have you called the Sands for your reservation? Do you need any suggestions for Richmond area lodging?

Old 03-23-2014, 01:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Were in as well John! I havent been in that territory for the longest time.

Sorry for the delayed reply

Old 03-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Forum Regular

That's great Mario. We're looking forward to seeing you again.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:03 AM
Forum Regular

Are you coming on the Switchbacks & Shorelines tour? If you’re coming and we haven’t already been in touch, or if you’re considering coming and need to book in advance, here are some accommodations recommendations:
We’ll be at the Golden Sands on Sunday evening June 29th., and other places to consider for the other nights are:
Days Inn - Ottawa West 350 Moodie Drive, Nepean, ON K2H 8G3 CA Phone 613) 599-7767
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites : Ottawa Kanata 101 Kanata Avenue Kanata, ON , Canada Hotel Reservations : 1 877 660 8550
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Ottawa West 578 TERRY FOX DRIVE, Kanata, Kanata (ON), Phone 613) 599-7767
Monterey Inn, 2259 Prince of Wales Drive Ottawa, On www.monterey.ca 1-800-565-1311
TLC B&B Richmond 103 Fowler St. Box 846 Richmond, Ontario www.TLC-BandB.ca (613) 838-5890
Bradley’s Place B&B 1883 Main Street Stittsville, Ontario www.bradleysplacebandb.com(613) 836-2623
Tall Pines B&B 1835 1835 Main St, Stittsville, ON www.tallpinesottawa.ca(613) 836-4206

It’s a long weekend & rooms will fill up. Even if you’re not sure about coming, you can book your rooms now and cancel later if need be.
Please let me know your thoughts -
Thanks
John

Old 04-16-2014, 02:08 PM
Banned

It’s a long weekend & rooms will fill up. Even if you’re not sure about coming, you can book your rooms now and cancel later if need be.
Please let me know your thoughts -
Just to echo John's comments.....
Gaia and I have booked the Sunday night at the Golden Sands, but when booking the Sat and Mon nights at the Days Inn, Bells Corner, they were sold out! No problem, got a room for both nights just down the road at the Holiday Inn Express. Used my government discount which brought the price down lower then CAA discount.
Like John says.....book NOW.....you can always cancel.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just booked a room at the Golden Sands. I just realized this cruise is just 9 weeks away!

Looking forward to seeing all of you!

Cheers!

Mario

Old 04-22-2014, 06:56 PM
Forum Regular

That's great, Mario. We're looking forward to seeing everyone as well. 9 weeks, huh? It will go by fast!

Old 04-30-2014, 03:09 PM

Can't believe I am missing this....Keep me posted on the next one...

Old 04-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cjmz888
How about joining us on the weekend of May 17th/18th?
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tg-cruise.html

Old 04-30-2014, 04:42 PM
Forum Regular

This will be the next one. First we're doing the Waterfall tour in SW Ontario, then there will be this one next. Unless you count the Fleetwood Cruise in London, then that will be the next one - in June. And there's the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit in August if you want to really plan ahead.

Last edited by Ottawa John; 04-30-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by tonygg
How about joining us on the weekend of May 17th/18th?
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tg-cruise.html
Thanks but I am on the other side of Ont that weekend...

Old 04-30-2014, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ottawa John
This will be the next one. First we're doing the Waterfall tour in SW Ontario, then there will be this one next. Unless you count the Fleetwood Cruise in London, then that will be the next one - in June. And there's the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit in August if you want to really plan ahead.
Hey John, send me the dates. Thanks!
Long weekend is a little hard for me to getaway from family. Should get another Xfire so we can all go

Old 04-30-2014, 06:50 PM
Forum Regular

Hey Chris - The dates of upcoming GTG's are in the Canada section of the forum - look for Caledon barbecue by 180, & another is largest outdoor car show. That's two that I know that are there. Plus there's Chris Ridings' Waterfall tour and the one for the Switchbacks that you already know of. Just review that section of the forum for those that have already been planned, and watch for new ones.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:59 PM

Hey Chris - The dates of upcoming GTG's are in the Canada section of the forum - look for Caledon barbecue by 180, & another is largest outdoor car show. That's two that I know that are there. Plus there's Chris Ridings' Waterfall tour and the one for the Switchbacks that you already know of. Just review that section of the forum for those that have already been planned, and watch for new ones.
Thanks John
I will try to make it to at least one of them. Are you doing the Prince Edward county area tour this year?

Old 05-14-2014, 10:10 AM
Forum Regular

I will try to make it to at least one of them. Are you doing the Prince Edward county area tour this year?
We'll be looking forward to meeting up. There are no immediate plans for a tour of the county this year that I'm aware of, but you never know. We could also put something together for a days' run up through Jones Falls, Newboro, Westport, etc. That's nice traveling through there, too.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We could also put something together for a days' run up through Jones Falls, Newboro, Westport, etc. That's nice traveling through there, too.
I had to cancel out on that tour last year. If you do another through the same area I'd be interested.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:15 PM
Forum Regular

If you do another through the same area I'd be interested.
OK - it's a little early yet and summer is filling up, but if it's going to happen I'll start a new thread.

Last edited by Ottawa John; 05-23-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:15 PM

We'll be looking forward to meeting up. There are no immediate plans for a tour of the county this year that I'm aware of, but you never know. We could also put something together for a days' run up through Jones Falls, Newboro, Westport, etc. That's nice traveling through there, too.
Sounds like a good plan, let me know. I will be in Burridge Lake sometime this summer, skip and a hop for me.

Quick Reply: Switchbacks & Shorelines