Car Shows The place to discuss car shows and tips and tricks for winning them...

You never know

Old 08-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You never know

Decided to take the Roadster to the local Quaker Steak Sunday Cruise-in to end the weekend. Went there two weeks ago, drove right in no one said a thing. Tonight I pull in and there 's an older lady there and she says my call doesn't qualify, I ask why not She says it not old enough, I point to a Mustang and say it older than that car. She then says it's not high performance enough. I point to 2 Honda Si's and say it's higher performance than those cars. At that point I think she just gave up and let me in. After i parked I looked to my left and saw this.

Last edited by xjken; 08-24-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:39 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Default Re: You never know

Originally Posted by xjken
Decided to take the Roadster to the local Quaker Steak Sunday Cruise-in to end the weekend. Went there two weeks ago, drove right in no one said a thing. Tonight I pull in and there 's an older lady there and she says my call doesn't qualify, I ask why not She says it not old enough, I point to a Mustang and say it older than that car. She then says it's not high performance enough. I point to 2 Honda Si's and say it's higher performance than those cars. At that point I think she just gave up and let me in. After i parked I looked to my left and saw this.

Ha ha.
If you ever go back again....ask her if she got her new eyeglasses yet!!

Old 08-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Forum Regular

Weather permitting I'm going back next week. She let me in this week, see if she ties to turn me away again. The pic of my Crossfire was from the car show I went to Sunday morning, I mistakenly loaded it instead of the ratted out Chevelle she apparently deemed "Qualified"

Old 08-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by xjken
Weather permitting I'm going back next week. She let me in this week, see if she ties to turn me away again. The pic of my Crossfire was from the car show I went to Sunday morning, I mistakenly loaded it instead of the ratted out Chevelle she apparently deemed "Qualified"
Rat Rod's are IN these days, I hardly do a car show where there is not a new one I haven't seen before.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd just ask to see a copy of the rules. One cruise I go to Saturday night is pre-1972 only (Friday is later). Often there is an exception for "special interest or exotic". Best is to show up with 3 or 4 others in line.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Forum Regular

I actually like Rat Rods, have actually thought about building one on more than one occasion. The Chevelle was not at all what I would consider a Rat Rod, it appeared to be all original car that someone rather poorly tried to restify and gave up and put a for sale sign on. As far as rules, the only thing I see posted says "Classics and High Performance" vehicles welcome. As Chryslers Halo car from '04-'08 I think the car qualifies. I think it's nothing more than someone not knowing anything about our cars, I was hoping to talk to the woman before I left but, she seemed pretty busy while I was there. Quaker Steak has another restaurant on the other side of town that I have attended with no problem, except it's 25 miles from my house where as this one is 3.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's interesting, a few years ago basically the same thing happened to us at a local Quaker Steak.

Went to pull in the show car side of the parking lot and some young guy stopped me, and said the restraurant parking was in back. I gave him a blank look, and said I was there for the car show.
He said it was for classics , sports, and special interest cars.
I motioned to all the NEW Mustangs, Vettes, BMW's. and Camaros parked just inside the entrance, and gave him a questionable look, and the guy just shrugged his shoulders and let us in.
I guess he thought I was driving a Chrysler "K" car.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:35 PM

Chevelle Rat Rod maybe. Four door no way.

ps Real sports cars have scoops - for the brakes.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
Chevelle Rat Rod maybe. Four door no way.

ps
Really cool cars have ice cream scoops.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my CLK AMG Black Series to a local show last spring...that was open to all cars. The fat guy minding the entrance told me........."This show is for performance cars, not everyday drivers, sir." He was standing in front of a bunch of Challengers from the local Mopar Club and was wearing one of their shirts.

I told him I'd be happy to kick any one of those SRT 8 Challengers' asses and asked if he'd like to arrange a demonstration with the loser's having to going home.

Fortunately for him (and for the Challengers, presumably, another guy who actually knew something about cars stepped in and told the fat guy 'That's a Benz race car..........better let him in.'

I didn't see the fat guy anymore that day........

Old 08-25-2014, 05:26 PM
Forum Regular

I have no problem with late model cars in shows or cruise-ins. The first summer I owned my Turbo Z ('87) I took it to three car shows which back then nobody did. I still have a problem to this day with shows or cruise-in that have a 'cut off year, but it's their show and if they want to turn down perfectly good money for their cause that's their business. Half the late models at Quaker Steak yesterday were show cars but, the other half had faded paint and primered or different colored body parts. I take offense to the idea that every Mustang, Corvette or Camaro is automatically "Qualified" (her words) regardless of it's condition. Heaven knows how many other nice cars they turned away, maybe that's why the lot was half full. Found out right before I left that MONDAY is Mustang night and TUESDAY is Corvette night which makes me wonder why they also let them take so many spaces at the SUNDAY cruise. By the way +fireamx, had I been driving a "K" car the age alone would have qualified me.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
ps
Really cool cars have ice cream scoops.
I actually saw a rat rod several years ago that had ice cream scoops welded to the doors for rear view mirrors. I am sure I took a pic I will have to search my files. They looked similar to these with little mirrors in the scoop area.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

Old 08-26-2014, 09:09 PM

Hey Padgett here's a suggestion. Why not go on line and tell the owner's of nearly every Ferrari built in the 50's and 60's, every 427 Cobra owner, and every 1967-427 Corvette owner that. Let me know how it works out for ya.

FYI....the 1970 AMX did infact have front disc brake "cooling" scoops in the front bumper. (good call)
I guess all us "Crossfire" owners need to trash our fog lights and install some brake cooling tubes before the next Dragon.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/445856431833051072/

Last edited by +fireamx; 08-26-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:13 PM

That was a joke son.
ps I used to have a 63 vette FI coupe that had these giant drum brakes with little fans in them...

Old 08-27-2014, 08:38 PM

That was a joke son.
ps I used to have a 63 vette FI coupe that had these giant drum brakes with little fans in them...
Well "Dad" are you making reference to "finned" brake drums?

buick finned brake drums | eBay

Old 08-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Well "Dad" are you making reference to "finned" brake drums?

buick finned brake drums | eBay
Is that 70 yours? Certainly the best of the AMX's. I had one with factory side pipes and ram air for its first seven years.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by MiamiTVR
Is that 70 yours? Certainly the best of the AMX's. I had one with factory side pipes and ram air for its first seven years.

Yep TVR, that's my 69 that I purchased brand new when I was 19. That photo was taken by Muscle Car magazine at a Muscle Car Showdown I attended about 10 years ago (or more).
As you can see, I liked the 70's "Scoop" so much, I put it on that car too.
It's really interesting how many Crossfire owners I've heard from who once owned an AMX in a past life.
I know of a couple people who still own one today.
Did I understand you correctly, were you an actual "original" owner of a 70 X?

Old 08-29-2014, 08:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The only new car I have owned was a 1970 Lime Green C-striped AMX with black leather, no power steering, no a/c , vacuum operated wipers, close ratio 4 speed, factory side pipes, ram air, and factory rear deck lid luggage carrier. I bought my wife a 1968 1/2 Gold on Black with sport pack and all the luxury options. Great cars worth more today than then.

The first time I saw a Crossfire I thought it looked like what I expect a 2004 AMX would have looked like. Your scoop is perfect.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:17 PM
Forum Regular

I bought a rough '73 AMX in the early 1980's that I redid, won my very first car show award with that car. A factory purple car that I had repainted the original color, of course that was the body style that competed with the Mustangs and Camaros of the day. I had the car for about five years when someone offered me more than I had in the car so I sold it to an AMC collector. Last I heard he had about 15 AMC's.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:35 PM
Forum Regular

Not quite the same as the original AMX's but, in the early 80's I bought a well worn purple '73 Javelin AMX. I completely redid the car including keeping the original factory color, won my first car show award with that car. Kept it for about 5 years until a AMC collector offered more than I had in the car and I sold it. Last I heard he had about 15 cars.

Mine looked exactly like this one except this owner looks to have run the hood T stripe up on the roof.
http://www.americanpartsdepot.com/im...tt%20Thaut.JPG

Last edited by xjken; 08-29-2014 at 11:42 PM.