Crossfire Awards and Trophies Post a photo of an award or trophy won with your Crossfire

Won a couple this summer

Old 10-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Won a couple this summer

I did not buy the Crossfire to be a show car but, that does not mean I can't take it shows. I entered the car in 6 shows this summer and won two awards a Top 20 and a 2nd place in a late model class. It's always fun to win but, my brother and I have been doing this together with numerous cars for 32 years now. This year the Crossfire became the eighth different car that I have shown and won an award with over the years. With the exception of the Daytona and now the Crossfire the others have been daily drivers. I was hoping to get to one more show this weekend but, it looks like heavy rain tonight and tomorrow.

The biggest change we have seen in that time is the number of new cars that enter now a days. When I bought my Daytona Turbo Z I started taking it to any show that allowed it. Back then a lot of shows would not allow anything built after 1972 or so. While I sometime get tired of all the late model Stangs I think it's great that most shows allow newer cars today. I never understood how the age of your car determined the passion someone had for cars or the hobby in general.

103_0992_zpsfea2e246.jpg

Last edited by xjken; 10-05-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Won a couple this summer

Good for you. It is nice to get the recognition for your pride and joy. I went to about 14 shows with at least one more to go. This one should be interesting, it's at a Federal Prison and it's called Cars to the Bars. I had a pretty successful year at the shows as far as trophies but I would have had just as much enjoyment if I hadn't won a thing. I always see some great cars, meet some nice people and learn something new that will help at future shows. It's awesome that you have been doing this for that many years and won awards with 8 different cars. Keep up the good work.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Forum Regular

Thank You sir, in the three years prior to this year I may have done 4 or 5 shows combined. With the wife back in school she has been working weekends to get her clinical hours so I have been going to shows again. I went to about twice as many cruise-ins as shows, I like the fact they are in the evenings and you can stay a couple hours, see some cool cars, talk to some other car nuts and not have to worry how perfect your car looks.

A car show at a prison sounds very interesting.

Last edited by xjken; 10-05-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by xjken
Thank You sir, in the three years prior to this year I may have done 4 or 5 shows combined. With the wife back in school she has been working weekends to get her clinical hours so I have been going to shows again. I went to about twice as many cruise-ins as shows, I like the fact they are in the evenings and you can stay a couple hours, see some cool cars, talk to some other car nuts and not have to worry how perfect your car looks.

A car show at a prison sounds very interesting.
Yeah, I really don't know what to expect. As I understand it, this is where Jimmy Hoffa was incarcerated. I drive my car during the week, then pick out a show for the weekend, weather permitting but I may have to look at the cruise-ins, haven't been to any of those. Besides, the shows are getting expensive, $10-$15 for entry then another $20 for food and drink.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Forum Regular

My wife is not a fan of shows because they usually last from 10 am till as late as 5 pm and to be honest it's the 1 pm till 4 or 5 pm that just seems to take forever. I did that a lot back in the mid to late 80's usually going to 15 or 20 shows a season. I did ten shows this summer which like I said is way more than I have done in recent years. These days I show up about 15 minutes before registration closes usually noon. Even then you are talking 4 or 5 hours in the sun and heat.

One of our favorite shows each year is put on by the small city of Montgomery Ohio, it's a show with awards, door prizes and food, but it takes place from 2 pm till 6 pm like a cruise-in. We showed up about 3:45. It cost $10.00 but it was very enjoyable with over 100 vehicles and a live band.

The wife actually likes the cruise-ins, they are usually free and we usually pick a cruise were there are restaurants within walking distance. Park the car, go eat a nice dinner and then walk around checking out everybody else ride and hit the road. Two maybe three hours at the most plus a nice summer evening roadster drive to top it off. Here's a pic from Montgomery show a couple weeks ago.

IMG_2525_zpsaa48585c.jpg

Last edited by xjken; 10-06-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:39 AM

That sounds good. You're right about the long days in the sun, so I found a small 61/2 by 61/2 pop up canopy that slides right in my passenger side. I don't need the seat as I'm divorced but I am looking for a navigator to fill it, then I'll have to find a way to stow it in the trunk. Along with my car care bag, folding chair and my display board and tripod. It's a good thing it has a huge trunk.LOL