Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Help accessing speaker

Old 07-21-2006, 06:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help accessing speaker

I have noticed recently that my left speaker is squeaking especially when the bass is max. Never happened before. What is the easiest and neatest way of accessing the speaker and attached wires without damaging the chrome surround or the rest of the door panel?

Please help!!

Old 07-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help accessing speaker

To get to the speaker, you need to remove the door panel. I think you have to remove the speaker grille from behind the panel if i remember correctly. To remove the door panel, you have to remove the metal plate in the corner of the door using a very, very small torx bit. next, split the door handle in half where the line is using a plastic wedge on the bottom in the middle, this reveals 2 screws. then remove the SRS cover to reveal another screw. that should be all you need to do to get the panel off. Using a panel puller (local auto parts store) pry the lower corner from the door. You will hear a series of loud pops as the panel clips detach from the door. Once the lower section is free, lift upward, remove the door handle cable, disconnect all harnesses and you are good to go. Put it back on in the reverse order. Before you do all of this, I would try to figure out exactly what is making the noise. put pressure on the panel around and on the areas making noise, and if it continues to rattle, than I would say its time for new speakers.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:03 PM

I would disconnect the battery too. From other posts I've read about this you have to disconnect the battery and let the car sit for a bit so the system can discharge...something like that...prevents the airbag in the door from going off in your face.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:45 PM

You do not have to disconnect the battery. The doors airbag does not come off with the door panel, it stays on the door and you don't even need to touch it.

I would do as BlackCrossFire said and put pressure on the door in areas around the speaker, tweeter, and handle...these door panels are terrible when it comes to squeaks and rattles with that aluminum looking trim pieces. It could very well be a squeak or rattle of the door that your hearing and not the speaker itself.

If you have to remove the door panel...
to add to BlackCrossFire's post, there is also a screw behind the trim piece around the tweeter/door opener, be careful removing this piece, it could break pretty easy if you don't know what your doing.

Last edited by Eracer76; 07-21-2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are right, there is a screw behind that thing, and yes, be very careful removing the panel. it is a very flimsy plastic.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:41 AM

Thanks for all your replies. I really do appreciate it. I will keep in touch as to what happens when I open up the door. Let you know if I get smacked in the head with the air bag as well...