Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

New look for less

Old 07-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New look for less

Chrysler seems to be grafting the Crossfire grill to other more mundane offerings. Looking at all the posts on how to make the Crossfire grill look different, I decided to try something. How to make it look different for not much money...fast!

Here are the ingredients:
1 can of Dupli-Color Vinyl and fabric spray, black. cost $5.99
1 pkg Style Guard chrome wheel molding 3/8" x 18' $9.99

Here's the recipe:
Remove grill (undo four bolts on top, tip grill slightly forward and release tabs).

Wash grill with a good strong dishwashing detergent, rinse and dry well.

Carefully remove the three silver bars from the grill. These bars are fitted into the front edge of the three horizontal bars. Carefully pry them loose as to not damage them or the grill (who knows, you might want to put them back some time). Set them aside.

Shake Dupli-Color paint can and carefully spray grill. Let set, repeat etc.
Put on about 5 light coats. The finish will have a similar sheen as the original nondescript gray, but now it is black.

While the grill is drying, take the roll of body molding and using the three silver trim bars as a template cut three new chrome "bars" (they are different lengths). Make sure to cut them slightly long (it is easy to trim some off, but you have to start over if they are too short). When the chrome "bars" are cut to length, again use the factory silver bars as a template to trim the angle ends.

When the grill is dry, peel the backing from the new chrome "bars" and using the channel on the front of the grill bars, lightly press the chrome strips in place. When you are certain they are good and straight, press down on them firmly to secure them.

Replace grill in car (make sure to line up the tabs on the bottom) and refasten the four bolts on top...

The black looks much richer (especially on a black Crossfire) and the chrome bars add some bling that was missing with the silver ones.

Total cost $15.98. Total time 1 hour.

Here are some thumbnails:

Unfortunately the pics don't really show the difference. It give the Crossfire a fresher look and chrome and black contrast is better than the gray and silver.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New look for less

you get a A+ for creative thinking on this one. awesome work ! little money spent... effect achieved !

Old 07-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way to be creative! I really like the look on the car. I may have to try that for myself.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Forum Regular

I cut the chrome three times and its still to short!

Old 07-27-2006, 08:18 PM

I cut one short...if you cut it about an inch longer, and fix it to the grill and trim it after it has been applied, it will fit perfect.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:50 PM

here is another angle.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Forum Regular

Awesome mod!!! I almost think I might like it better than my total chrome grill from CTD. Very nice touch. Not sure how it would look on other colors, but it rocks on black.
Kudos.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by knowit
Awesome mod!!! I almost think I might like it better than my total chrome grill from CTD. Very nice touch. Not sure how it would look on other colors, but it rocks on black.
Kudos.
I'll second (or third or fourth) that comment. Super job; well thought through.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:24 PM

Two Thumbs Up!!
This will be my next project.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Damn son, that is pretty bad azz. What is the type of trim you used, what brand?

Is it the chrome door trim? I'm going to try this tonight. I think that will look good on a white car. We'll see.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:24 AM

Please post pix of this, too, if possible. Really curious to see how it looks on a white car.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very cool -- i had usually removed the grille and sprayed it with Stoner plastic trim shine when i wash/wax the car. i think this looks like a much more permanent solution.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Forum Regular

Looks awesome! I have a black coupe also and I have never liked the dark grey grill color. One question, is there a reason why you used duplicolor fabric paint? Is that better for this type of material? And have you washed your car since installing the chrome "bars" to see if they stick securely? Just a thought. Again, great job!

Old 07-28-2006, 12:32 PM

Mayaman,

I bought it at Auto Zone. The brand is StyleGuard stock # T3605C CHROME. 3/8" x 18' WHEEL MOLDING ROUND CHROME.

It isn't really round, it just has a rounded surface with a peel and stick adhesive on the back.

The factory silver trim actually has a larger surface, so the chrome replacement creates a slightly finer line. Looks much better than stock.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

SRT SIX,

Looking at the side pic, the chrome lines really stand out. It's almost as if the black isn't there. I think it looks awesome!!

On the aesthetic side the lines of your mod naturally flows up to the Chrysler wings ... excellent effect, planned or unplanned.

I think the black IS the color, even for us Alabaster owners. I might try to photoshop my front end as black and alabaster.

Best yet ... the price tag.

adoni

Old 07-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Re: New look for less

I read the post this morning and did the upgrade this afternoon. I'm hear to tell ya it's the best ten bucks i've spent in a long time. I never really like the looks of the silver grill next to the chrysler chrome wing emblem on the front and had a hard time bringing myself to shell out $200.00 for the german made grill. It looks 100% better with the chrome grill. It only took about an hour to do the whole thing. I did not paint my grill black only because I have a dark gray roadster. I read this forum about everyday, someone is always coming up with good ideas and solutions to problems!

Old 07-28-2006, 08:19 PM

Looks good, you beat me to it... I've been wanting to paint the grey part black since I brought the car home, just kept putting it off.

I'm going to find time to do it now after seeing it done, but I'm going to re-use the stock silver trim on my black SRT.

I can never seem to understand why people would want to bling up there sports cars that have silver trim everywhere else, like the wheels, door handles, a-pillars, side strakes and so on.
To each there own I guess, if you like that's all that matters anyway.

Last edited by Eracer76; 07-28-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:26 PM

I got a few PM about not being able to locate the chrome molding. The company that makes them is Cowles Products http://www.cowlesproducts.com in New Haven, CT.

The T3605C is made exclusively for AutoZone. S37630 is made for Pep Boys. Here on the West Coast AutoZone charged $9.99 and Pep Boys $14.99. I dropped by Pep Boys and they also have S37740 which is 1/4" half round vs the 3/8" of the S37630/T3605C. I think the 3/8" looks better on the grill.

Interestingly the 1/4" product shows it used on grills, tail lights, door panels and interior trim. I did not see this before I tried my dod. But, I am going to try some layouts inside with the leftovers. Look for pics in a new post.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:34 PM

I thought about putting the silver bits back on. But the heavy "wing" on the front is chrome and quite honestly I have always thought the silver did not look that good against it.

To my surprise, the chrome strip(s) make the grill look better. The slightly thinner appearance makes them look wider and as if they are floating.

I think it also gets away from the generic front end look that Chrysler is now proliferating.

Now matter which you choose, you still have your own affordable exotic.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:44 PM

I just went out and picked up my supplies and did this great mod in about 45 min. Huge difference in looks. Great idea!! I'll post some pics later.

-Josh