Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Finally got my official car cover. What are the dangers to the car of using a cover?

Old 07-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Finally got my official car cover. What are the dangers to the car of using a cover?

I plan on using the cover while at work. I'm usually there ten hours a day and sun is brutal. So when I get there at 7 am I'll put it on and then take it off when I go home at 5:30 or 6 pm.

My question is what is the danger to the paint from a car cover? Will the paint or headlamps haze? Is the factory car cover made to breath?

Also when I get home I'll put the cover back on to keep bird crap and other tree born stuff off of it. Will this hurt the paint?

Sorry for the stupid question.

Thanks

Old 07-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Finally got my official car cover. What are the dangers to the car of using a cover?

1st you will get tired of the cover really quick. Plus everyone asking you why do you cover up your car ? (this is annoying). 2nd I use to use a budget brand car cover because it was breathable, and only cost me $20 bucks at wallyworld. This doesn't really answer your question but I hope it helps a lil.

Old 07-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Finally got my official car cover. What are the dangers to the car of using a co

My concern using the cover (I use my old PT cover which fits this car) has always been the micro dirt on the car and the cover moving over it when you put it on and take it off. I would think its scratching the clear coat.
I only use mine if the car has just been washed and I'm putting it away to go away. I'd be real careful putting it on a dirty car if at all.
They are a PIA when they get wet and you need to go somewhere. I'm lucky I have a garage at home, as for work the car has to get a little dirty so I have something to do on Saturday morning so I don't ever cover it at work.
Like someone else said you'll probably get pretty tired of that.

Pat

Old 07-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Re: Finally got my official car cover. What are the dangers to the car of using a cover?

Originally Posted by MAYAman
I plan on using the cover while at work. I'm usually there ten hours a day and sun is brutal. So when I get there at 7 am I'll put it on and then take it off when I go home at 5:30 or 6 pm.

My question is what is the danger to the paint from a car cover? Will the paint or headlamps haze? Is the factory car cover made to breath?

Also when I get home I'll put the cover back on to keep bird crap and other tree born stuff off of it. Will this hurt the paint?

Sorry for the stupid question.

Thanks
Actually, good questions. There hasn't been much talk regarding covers in the forum.

I believe the Chrysler cover is made of Weathershield which is one of the better all-around covers (check to see if you do indeed have Weathershield material). It is also softer than most covers so it shouldn't scratch the finish. However, as already mentioned you don't want to place any cover on top of your car if it already dirty/dusty. Covercraft lists the breathability of Weathershield fabric as "good". The headlamp hazing issue is caused by UV exposure so if anything the cover will slow down the process.

http://www.covercraft.com/Fabric%20Guide%20OUT.pdf

If you plan to use the cover at work each day make sure you also use it routinely at night or whenever the car is parked for long periods to prevent any dust accumulation. As already mentioned, this might get to be tiresome after a while, but you do have to be mindful not to put the cover on the car while any potentially abrasive particles have settled onto the finish.

I have a Stormshield (seems to have recently been discontinued - I hope it wasn't because of some defect) cover for my Crossfire from Coverking. I put it on the Crossfire the evening after I wash it. However, it may stay covered for several days or even longer than a week before it comes off again. Then if I drive it to work the cover stays off until I wash it again (usually just a few days.) I don't typically carry the cover around in the boot (as our UK pals like to call it). So far it seems to work well, but it is difficult to put on when the wind blows. You will have the same issue with the lightweight Weathershield cover. Another thing to consider is fastening the cover on the car at all times. Lightweight covers tend to blow off the car in the lightest wind. You don't want your cover rolling across the parking lot picking up sand or gravel. A locking cable or even bungy cords will keep the cover on snugly. If the cover is moving around a lot the chances you will be more likely to scratch the paint. Unfortunately, it's also a pain trying to reach for the end of the cable while on your knees looking under the car. You'll also need to make arrangements to carry your wet cover home with you in the event it rains (a plastic trash bag works.) But then once you drive your wet car home, you really do need to wash it again before using the cover because you will pick up a layer of road film. Hope this helps.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Finally got my official car cover. What are the dangers to the car of using a cover?

I use car covers a lot. I'm very big into detailing and up keep.

Another responder already mentioned a lot of good things. A car cover has saved me so many times it's not even funny. A car cover has saved me from hail damage on a Mustang GT convertible I have as a secondary car.
Neighbors and local dealers suffered massive hail damage and the Mustang had 1 noticeable ding and 2 very shallow dings. Other cars in the area look like they where hit with machine gun fire.

Don't buy the cheap kind. Make sure it's a soft thick material and it should fit snug on your car. You don't want it flapping around and rubbing too much and only use it if your car is clean.

Benefits...

Keeps car cooler.
No de-icing in the winter (ice collects on cover but you just roll it off).
Less washing.
Protects against bird poop.
Less likely to get stolen or vandalized (visual barrier).

What I do is roll it off from front to back and store it in the trunk or hatch. Rolling it on and off makes it real easy. Wash the cover while it's on the car.

So long as you don't choose a stiff cheap cover and make sure it's the right size for your car you should do fine. Benefits more than justify the costs.

On vacation at my Mom's in New Mexico it was snowing and in the morning everyone's windshields where iced over. Several people where de-icing and all I had to do was look at them and sigh then just roll off my cover and I'm ready to go. No ice.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:50 PM
Default Re: Finally got my official car cover. What are the dangers to the car of using a co

Thanks guys, I'm the type of person who doesn't care what other people say. That's why all my cars look showroom and theirs look like absolute crap. I also park all the way at the back of the lot by myself, to many morons just swing their doors open. The labor is no big deal to me.

I bought the official cover from chrysler for the crossfire and noticed how soft it is inside. It says crossfire on the back and has the flying wings on the front.

Thanks for the great information.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by patpur
My concern using the cover (I use my old PT cover which fits this car) has always been the micro dirt on the car and the cover moving over it when you put it on and take it off. I would think its scratching the clear coat.
I only use mine if the car has just been washed and I'm putting it away to go away. I'd be real careful putting it on a dirty car if at all.
They are a PIA when they get wet and you need to go somewhere. I'm lucky I have a garage at home, as for work the car has to get a little dirty so I have something to do on Saturday morning so I don't ever cover it at work.
Like someone else said you'll probably get pretty tired of that.

Pat
excellent info. ONLY use a car cover on a car you’ve recently cleaned that same day. constant putting on and taking off is going to scratch your paint real quick. just imagine wiping your dirty car down with a dry towel... ouch.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:11 PM

I love my cover, but I hate it when it's bright and sunny outside when you put it on and then when you go to leave you find it's pouring down rain. While everyone else runs to their car and quickly gets in. You'll be busy getting drenched while you roll up a soaked car cover and try to stuff it in the bag.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:47 PM

good point; never thought of that. maya is this a sun-only queen or do you drive it everyday?

Old 07-31-2006, 04:07 PM

Believe it or not I drive the Porsche every day when I can. She is a 1990 Cabrio with only 30,000 miles but she does have 30k on her.

I want my Xfire to say under 20k for at least three years. I already got 12,500 on her in 1 year and 3 months. Gotta cut back. LOL

Old 07-31-2006, 09:01 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MAYAman thats a really nice cover, saw one a while ago. I have the top of the line Covercraft which I bought several years ago for my PT Cruiser, Its a bit big for the Crossfire but it works. It also has a really soft underside . Just be careful how you use it and you should be fine. Does yours have a cable lock? Might be a good idea to invest in one if it doesn't.

Pat

Old 07-31-2006, 11:21 PM

The cable lock sadly was missing.

Do they sell that separate?

Old 07-31-2006, 11:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, they're usually sold separately, and you can buy one at any auto parts store. generally they incorporate a steel cable with a big loop on one end that won't fit through the grommet (or whatever they call the round holes at the bottom of the cover) and a smaller loop at the other end to which you run through the other hole and affix your lock. the cables are coated in plastic. since the crossfire's painted rocker panels extend well under the car i am hesitant to use the cable because it will rub against the finish. if you get a locking cable consider fabricating something to insulate the rocker panel from the cable.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:41 PM

I've had my X-fire for just under a year. Broke 1,000 miles last week (I think it's 1,009 miles now) Obviously not my daily driver and has never been driven in the rain or snow. However, having the luck of owning several toys, I have run out of indoor storage space. Therefore, the X-fire stays parked outside with a California Car Cover "Superweave". It's the best cover I've ever owned. It can rain all day, I can lift a corner of the cover and watch the water roll off. It is about 99 percent waterproof, very, very lightweight and breathable. I've had the X-fire parked for 3 weeks straight, numerous rains/storms etc., take the cover off and it looks like I just washed it. It also fits like a glove, nothing sloppy or baggy.

I NEVER put the cover on without a pre-wash, either a full wash after a drive, or at least a California Car Cover Duster pass and a "final inspection" wipe after just sitting. Yes, the key is to have NO dust particles under the cover. It acts just like sandpaper.

Of Course, I don't take the cover off too often, so it's not too big of a hassle. As mentioned before, if you roll from front to back, then fold and do the same everytime, taking off and putting on is a breeze. Also, I have washed it 2-3 times at home in my home machine without a hitch.

As far as keeping the cover on, I do use a cover cable and lock. I also use the built in "loops" where I tied a string from one side that gets clipped with a plastic clip to the other side. As an added wind proof measure, I bought cheap plastic tarp clips that I added another string that goes across left to right under the front end. I have never had a problem with wind.

According to California Cover's webpage..."Now available in 8 new colors. Choose from black, bright blue, sky blue, green, grey, red, taupe and yellow. You can also mix-and-match any two fabric colors to customize your cover, with the top panel in one color and the side panels in the second color. Superweave features a variety of benefits, including unsurpassed moisture and pollutant/dust protection. Additionally, it's exceptionally breathable, allowing moisture and heat to escape. Considered to be one of our top-of-the-line car cover fabrics. It is the only material that can be washed and dried in your home machines. It features a limited four-year warranty."

PS, for what it is worth, after Griots Garage multi-step paint cleaning/wax, using the cover, my X-fire always looks SPOTLESS when I uncover it. I do not believe I will suffer any sun fade, headlight fogging or UV damage to the interior or rubber parts. That makes the hassle worth it to me.