Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Condensation on the inside of windshield

Old 07-31-2006, 09:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Condensation on the inside of windshield

Like everyone else in the country its hot as hell here in the metro Detroit area. The past couple days while having the A/C on the windshield has been getting condensation build up and I don't know. This is the first car I've ever owned that does this and on a somewhat related note, when I got to top off my tank today, my glasses fogged up immediately after getting out of the Crossfire, crazy! Any help here guys would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Condensation on the inside of windshield

LOL. My family considers me radioactive in the morning. When I get up in the morning my body exhausts so much heat you can feel it just standing next to me. When I get in my car in the fall/winter/spring all my window's fog up. It's actually rather funny.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:42 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aero Blue
Like everyone else in the country its hot as hell here in the metro Detroit area. The past couple days while having the A/C on the windshield has been getting condensation build up and I don't know. This is the first car I've ever owned that does this and on a somewhat related note, when I got to top off my tank today, my glasses fogged up immediately after getting out of the Crossfire, crazy! Any help here guys would be greatly appreciated.
Yeah I have the same problem on hot days, but it doesn't condense on the inside of the window. It's condensing on the outside. I guess the glass gets so cold, water vapor just collects where the defrost vent is, how weird.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:03 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

mine does the same when it is sooo hot out. sometimes i need to hit the wipers to remove it (exterior condensation). mainly happens when the car is sitting still and the a/c is on (w/ high humidity). i tend to leave my car running while parked... if i am running into a clients house for a quick pick up or drop off of paperwork, etc. i hate getting back into a hot car.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing here. Condensation on the outside of windshield and bugs all over the front end. Tis the season.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:17 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritzauf
Same thing here. Condensation on the outside of windshield and bugs all over the front end. Tis the season.
~ white cars & bugs don't mix.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aero Blue
was the condensation on the inside or outside of your windshield? if on the outside it's simply because your windshield was chilled by close proximity to the vents to the point that humid outside air in contact with the windshield reached its saturation point and condensed. if the condensation was on the inside of your windshield it could be that at a high fan speed the high volume of air being drawn into your car wasn't sufficiently dehumidified and is coming out of the vents as a mist which adheres to the inside of the glass. i think that running the ac in recirculation mode would cure the issue.

more importantly, was the condensation on the inside, the outside, or on both sides of your glasses? last time my glasses fogged up really bad i couldn't tell if i was tipping in dollar bills or twenties.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:16 PM
Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Put the AC to your feet and face, not the windshield. No condensation, that's what I do.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Forum Regular
Arrow Re: Condensation on the inside of windshield

Originally Posted by MAYAman
Put the AC to your feet and face, not the windshield. No condensation, that's what I do.
The HVAC set up has always confused me a bit. I've switched it before and couldn't tell the difference between the settings as far as where it coming out.

BTW, the condensation is on the outside, silly me!

Old 08-01-2006, 08:58 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could also try turning the temperature up a bit. The HVAC in the Crossfire is pretty efficient so you don't have to set it on mega-freeze to cool the car off. I leave mine set on the white dot midway between hot and cold and I have never had a problem with condensation.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MAYAman
Exactly MAYA...that's what I found (by mistake) I had the Vent selector set to the defrost mode (12 o'clock) with the ac running. If you put the selector to vent down (at your feet) it will reduce or eliminate the fogging.

Also, I'm going to buy some RainX (interior) to coat the windows when the weather changes in the fall. This will also help with "fogging" issues. NOTE: this is not the same as regular RainX, which you use on the exterior side of the windows.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sennaspirit
Exactly MAYA...that's what I found (by mistake) I had the Vent selector set to the defrost mode (12 o'clock) with the ac running. If you put the selector to vent down (at your feet) it will reduce or eliminate the fogging.

Also, I'm going to buy some RainX (interior) to coat the windows when the weather changes in the fall. This will also help with "fogging" issues. NOTE: this is not the same as regular RainX, which you use on the exterior side of the windows.
I use the face selection because cold air sinks. By pointing the vents upward if creates a circular flow and cools the upper portion where the hot air is anyway.

On the getting out and glasses fogging ... that's nothing new. Where I work they keep the A/C so cold I leave the office to go to the shop ... instant fog.

It's also a good thing when getting in the hot car to use the recirc and get the hot air out of the car, it aids the cooling and the interior isn't hot for long.