Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Article on Chrysler's plans through '08

Old 08-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Article on Chrysler's plans through '08

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60807008/1111

Old 08-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Article on Chrysler's plans through '08

From the article:

Chrysler Crossfire

The Mercedes-Benz SLK-based Crossfire convertible and coupe have been a learning experience for Chrysler. The Crossfire will be sold as a 2007 model and then dropped, sources say.

The Crossfire was always a niche car. But Chrysler overestimated the size of the niche, leaving lots of Crossfires unsold. In fact, a 2006 model was not offered in the United States because of the high inventory of unsold 2005 models. The car is built by Karmann in Osnabrueck, Germany.
Its finally in writing - no more after 2007...
And they finally admit that our car has been a learning experience! DUH!

Old 08-10-2006, 01:11 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sharonaln67
From the article:

Its finally in writing - no more after 2007...
And they finally admit that our car has been a learning experience! DUH!
That is the kind of thing that pizzs me off with Chrysler... sell me a car for 30k and then tell me it was a "Learning experience for them." Guess what? It was for me also... hooah

Old 08-10-2006, 03:45 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To me this isn't necessarily bad news. There are many similarities between the Crossfire and the Prowler. Both had short production runs, both skipped one year of production, both are very stylish cars, and both sold in low volumes. The Prowler may not have achieved any great collector's status but also it hasn't depreciated greatly. The Prowler still goes for $27K to over $50K depending on year and condition. I really don't see why our cars will be any different.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We will have to wait and see if the Crossfire does attain collector status, I think it will. However I think that is some time off. If I had to guess, the SRT models will be the most coveted mainly because of rarity. An earlier post indicated production of just over 2K coupes and less than 1K roadsters out of a total of nearly 40K units in the US.

I don't think Chrysler "admitted" that the Crossfire was a learning experience. I think those were the words and opinion of the author. Was it a learning experience for Chrysler, of course it was. But the lesson learned was NOT to overestimate a niche market as the article stated.

BTW Daimler Chrysler's halo performance car will also skip a years production..."Dodge will continue the 2006 Viper SRT-10 convertible and coupe until the re-engineered and restyled 2008 model is ready. A 2007 model will not be produced..."

Old 08-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Idaho
To me this isn't necessarily bad news. There are many similarities between the Crossfire and the Prowler. Both had short production runs, both skipped one year of production, both are very stylish cars, and both sold in low volumes. The Prowler may not have achieved any great collector's status but also it hasn't depreciated greatly. The Prowler still goes for $27K to over $50K depending on year and condition. I really don't see why our cars will be any different.
there are definitely some similarities - boat tail design, bigger rear tires than front, etc. i think prowler had at least some influence on the Crossfire as it also did on the PT Cruiser. but i'd have to disagree with the issue of collectibles. the fact that Prowlers have maintained their value and there are just 11,000 of them secures their future as a collectible. also, the Prowler had a technologically advanced design. for example, it incorporated lots of lightweight aluminum. the crossfire is essentially a rebranded SLK with a unique retro looking sheet metal covering so it doesn't garner much attention as being innovative. chances are that after 2007 there will be around 75K or more Crossfires in existence, which is still a low production run though definitely not rare. i'm not saying that Crossfires won't become collectibles but it is just hard to imagine any new cars except for expensive, very limited production cars as really having much in the way of collectibles these days. but maybe in 2030 the cars we are driving today if kept in great condition will be worth their MSRP, not counting inflation of course. i do agree that the srt will have more collectible value.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FirebaseD
That is the kind of thing that pizzs me off with Chrysler... sell me a car for 30k and then tell me it was a "Learning experience for them." Guess what? It was for me also... hooah
Sharon, I can truly understand your frustration with the run around you've gotten on your car issues. I certainly hope this new dealership is able to get to the root of your transmission problems and you're gong to feel safe and sound in your roadster.

I also am not too disappointed driving a car that is, to most, unique and different. I see so many Miatas, Boxters, etc. on the road, and given my personality, I love it that my car stands out. I do hope that Chrysler continues to train technicians to work on our cars and to stand behind the product.

When i've chatted with some of the sales people on the Chrysler lots, they seem to have a negative attitude about the car. It might be due to the lack of marketing for this car and the fact that they are now selling at great discounts. Heck, some of my best purchases have been from the "sale" table...You should see my golf clubs. I've NEVER paid the full price for a golf club that I can get for at least a third off of retail...

Just some thoughts on my end...When do you get your car back???