Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

New Custom Grille Available Soon

Old 08-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Custom Grille Available Soon

Hey everyone,
I just want to inform everyone that I am working with a local fabricator to create a custom mesh grille ala' CTS-V/ S-Type R. The fabricator will start work on my Crossfire on Tuesday. Looking closely at some of the threads about previous grilles, I have a few goals in mind that I have explained to the fabricator:

1. Make the grille look tasteful, not overkill.
2. Have the grill curve slightly to match the curve of the factory grille.
3. Have the grille come out slightly like the factory grille to prevent a large "lip" from being exposed.
4. Create a factory fit that would allow the grille to be put on and removed as easily as the factory grille.

Estimated price right now is anywhere from $425 - $500 plus shipping charges.
This grille should be complete by August 26th, so hopefully I will have pictures up by then. If anyone is interested in gathering a group-purchase, please let me know by either a pm or simply posting on this thread. More details about the grille will be mentioned on Tuesday when I bring the car over to the fabricator.

Last edited by golfdude; 08-11-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Custom Grille Available Soon

Upper only or upper and lower grilles? What kind of materials are you using? Looking forward to your report on Tuesday. Thanks for taking this initiative.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:44 PM

Upper grilles for now only. The specifics on the materials to be used and so forth will be discussed on Tuesday. I told the fabricator that I wanted the mesh to look like those found on the CTS-V and S-Type R. In actuality, I forgot about the lower grills. But they will be mentioned to the fabricator as well.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:45 PM

For comparison, here is the CTS-V grille:

Old 08-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Forum Regular

Yes, that is what I wanted all along also. I hope it takes you less time than the CTD guys. (did they fall off the edge of the earth?)

I would be very interested in this also.

Old 08-12-2006, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by knowit
Yes, that is what I wanted all along also. I hope it takes you less time than the CTD guys. (did they fall off the edge of the earth?)

I would be very interested in this also.
I wanted this style of grille all along too! I told the fabricator I NEED it by the weekend of August 26th! Hopefully he delivers on his promise.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:19 AM
Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

The Hawtness!

Old 08-14-2006, 12:18 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Keep me posted as well.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:32 AM

Let me know how this goes!

Old 08-15-2006, 10:53 AM

i'm down for this too. sign me up.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:54 PM

Count me in...can't wait to see how it turns out.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Default Update:

All righty, so, the fabricator told me the material to be used will be a stainless steel mesh, chromed. From there three options have been offered to tackle the problem of exposed components behind the grille:

1. Put a black, punched metal/mesh behind the chrome mesh in order to cover up the components (I chose this for now).

2. Paint components behind mesh black such as the radiator and metal piece in the middle of the grille.

3. Don't do anything at all (later today or tomorrow I will take a picture of what the Crossfire looks w/o the grille).

The fabricator also mentioned there were going to be ribs, but he mentioned that they are not going to be visible. I told him they better not be visible, b/c that's not the look that I am going for.

As for the lower grilles, the fabricator said it would cost an additional $400. But, I personally am not going to go for the lower grilles right now. We concluded that if the upper portion looks nice, and someone would like a bottom piece. We will deal with it later (maybe I will let the fabricator borrow my lower grilles to take measurements for anyone who wants it done to the lowers also).

Lastly, let's all cross our fingers to have this done on the 26th. I am leaving that day for college. The fabricator says it MAY be done, depending on the chrome people's timeliness. If it is not complete in time, the grille will be shipped. If this is the case I will have to have pictures done on a later date (if I don't take the car, pics will come sooner).

For now, my factory grille is with him. He told me to call him in a week. I can't wait...

Last edited by golfdude; 08-15-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:27 PM

Here are pics, as promised, of what it looks like behind the grille:

Old 08-17-2006, 01:46 PM

So, I gave everyone an update above. Does anyone have any thoughts, opinions, suggestions to tell me? I welcome all ideas. Like I said earlier, I have chosen to go with the black metal stuff behind the chrome mesh for now in order to "hide" the insides of this beast! If it doesn't work well, we will try other things.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:05 AM

The black mesh behind the chrome sounds cool. Won't restrict air flow, huh? Will look forward to pictures when you get grille installed. Not to bust your bubble BUT when the fab said MAYBE, I wouldn't expect your car to be ready in time. He's already coming up with excuses about the chrome person. I may be wrong and I hope I am.

Good Luck.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:31 AM

Well, all we can do now is sit and wait. I'm not in control of anything. And any form of mesh grille would seem to improve airflow...just look at how restrictive the stock grille is!

Old 08-18-2006, 02:45 AM

Again for comparison, here is the grille from the brand-new XKR convertible.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Thumbs down Update #2

So, I stopped by the shop to see what was going on. Thy didn't start any fabrication. Yesterday the fabricator did some drawings. Today I made sure there were going to be no ribs or anything to be seen on the mesh, but the fabricator thought I wanted the factory grille with mesh inbetween the ribs in chrome. BIG MISTAKE!!

So, there will definitely be a delay. Sorry everyone.

Basically, the fabricator wants to put some sort of rib as a reinforcement or else if a big bug or chip hits the grille, it's gonna dent, which none of us want.

Looking at a CTS-V, I noticed NO reinforcements and it is made out of PLASTIC. Our grille is going to be made out of stainless steel mesh. Any ideas?

Lastly, the fabricator said he will create some more designs tonight, and if he can make a grille that is structurally sound, we will decide from there if it will be a go or not. Tomorrow I'm stopping by again to check-out these drawings. If not, I'll keep on searching for someone to make this grille!

Old 08-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Default Re: Update #2

Also see: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=11633 in the Exterior & Lighting section for some other suggestions.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:41 PM

Thanks maxxm for the link...we will see what we can do.

Quick Reply: New Custom Grille Available Soon