Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Foglights on a Base Crossfire

Old 08-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foglights on a Base Crossfire

Just got my foglights in, and came up with a question. The mechanical part of the installation is super easy, but since the base comes with no foglights, DC also left out any wiring.

To keep things as tidy and oem looking as possible, I need to find a source for the plug that fits into the back of the foglight assembly. Since the light bulb itself is a Sylvania unit made in the USA, I thought someone might know a source for the plugs. Ideas?

BTW, the housing itself is marked "Made in Slovenia". So, along with German assembly and Polish wheels we have Slovenian lights! What a car!

hp

Old 08-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Foglights on a Base Crossfire

Check the wiring harness very carefully and see if the fog light connectors aren't just folded back and taped into the harness.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:21 PM

I'll check again as I could have missed them, but I didn't see any wires in the vicinity of the opening for the fog light. I'm certain this has been done many times before. I can't be the only base owner that thinks his car needs the foglights. A search of the forum archives came up empty.

hp

Old 08-14-2006, 07:04 PM

Try another detailed search. I do remember someone wrote a detailed information on installation of fog lights on a base coupe on this forum. I believe it is about couple of months ago. Good luck.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:06 PM

Here you go.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...7348&highlight

Old 08-15-2006, 11:43 AM

Hey, Porterhouse, thanks for the link.

Reading through it, seems DC has made a unique harness for the few Xfires that come in base trim. OK, the lights are a few bucks, but come on, how much could a few inches of wire and a couple of connectors cost?

If that thread is correct, and there is no wiring, anyone have any leads on finding a plug for the foglight?

Henry

Old 08-16-2006, 12:16 AM

When I did it about 2 years ago, I just made my own harness and connectors. Ok, I am an engineer, but it really wasn't that difficult. I have had no problems since I did the install. I just used off the shelf connectors, wire, and electrical tape. Works like a dream!

Jason

Old 08-16-2006, 08:31 AM

Did you find a specific "standard" connector made for the 9006 bulb? If so, please tell me where you found one as I am still shooting blanks.

I do not like generic off the shelf connectors - I thoroughly despise crimp connectors, and really don't like electrical tape. Call us old fashioned, but we still use solder and heat shrink tubing. Aircraft switches from an aircraft salvage yard are a great source of high quality electrical components. Too many years of fooling around with race cars has taught many lessons.

What I am looking for is the specific connector that plugs into the back of the foglight - like what other cars came with these bulbs so I can whack off the pigtail to the light? Haven't found a xfire yet in a junkyard.

Cheers,

Henry

Old 08-16-2006, 10:03 PM

HP,
I added fogs to my base a few months back. Well, I mounted them but haven't finished wiring them yet. However, the connectors you are looking for I bought from Susquehanna Motorsports, Fleetwood, PA. 1-610-944-3233. They are Item # CP9006CFP. They are the 9006/HB4 Connector w/12 Ga. pigtails. Mine plugged in perfectly to the back of the foglight assemblies.They cost $6.25 ea.You can see them at http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Connectors.asp.
Please do me a favor and let me know how you make out with the rest of the wiring.
Chad

Old 08-17-2006, 12:06 PM

Chad,

Great - that's the info I was looking for. I noticed from your picture that the connector has the water proofing grommets which is what I expected from the correct connector.

Will be glad to update on how my wiring was done - at this point I still plan to make the switch independent of the main switch (unless I can figure out an alternative) as I plan to use the foglights as DRL's. Really seems silly of DC not to put wiring for foglights on the base models.

Right now I am waiting on my Xfire to get out of the body shop where it is having its SRT6 nose painted and put on - doing the nose thing, foglights, and body painted grill w/chrome inserts so it should have a different look when I am finished.

Thanks again for the lead.

hp