Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Washer Fluid tank -- help needed

Old 08-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washer Fluid tank -- help needed

Hi, all! I just purchased a barely used '04 SSB/auto model for $21k. Only 10k miles on it and it looks like new. How did I do?

In any case, I went to use the windshield washer mist and found that it was dry. So I hop over to Walmart and buy a gallon of washer fluid. I pop the hood, start pouring it in, and noticed that it is just running out the bottom of the car!

I'm guessing that the tank or hose is disconnected for whatever reason. However, I noticed that the tank must be housed inside the fender well because it's definitely not in the engine compartment.

Rather than take the car to a dealer for warranty work, I figured I would ask here if someone has suggestions on how to quickly fix this. Do I have to remove the lining of the wheel well to access the parts? While I could easily do this, I don't have much time lately for anything (really busy with stuff)... so if it'll take more than 15 minutes or so to fix, I'll just drop it off at the dealer.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 08-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Washer Fluid tank -- help needed

~ actually that is normal... the overflow tub drains out of the bottom of the passenger fender area.

no way of telling if it is full, until it overflows. poor design imo.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:51 AM

Hmmm... it's still not misting the windshield, though. Maybe the motor is bad or a fuse is blown. Does that fuse power anything else?

Old 08-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CurDog
Does that fuse power anything else?
~ it is fuse #16 (located under the hood near drivers windshield area) and "only" powers the washer fluid motor/pump.

i would just check the fuse and if that's not it... then you are probably correct... a bad washer motor/pump.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:18 PM

I had the same experience the first time I went to use my washers. I could only get them to work when the wipers were actually turned on. It turned out I wasn't pushing in the stalk past the point of 1st resistance to activate the washer system.

"The washer system is activated by pressing inward on the multifunction switch lever whenever the ignition switch is
turned to the ACC or the ON/RUN position. The multifunction switch lever must be pressed past the point of resistance
for at least 0.5 seconds to get the wiper system to cycle."

Old 08-22-2006, 12:42 PM

Thanks to both of you... I'll try some stuff out and see how it goes.

I'll also have to change the oil with synthetic. Turns out the used car dealer changed it but only used conventional.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple things I'd like to point out.

1) avoid the blue stuff you get from WalMart and similar products. The dyes in the cheaper stuff can actually solidify and block the strainers in the tank.

2) if the fluid is running out on the ground, you probably need the Chrysler part equivalent to Mercedes 010-997-11-81 (less than $5) which is a grommet that seals the washer pump to the tank. It's a fairly common item on the MB cars and I imagine it's the same thing on ours. I simply haven't needed to look at mine yet.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone replaced the tank? I am sure that mine has cracked or the hose has split(sloppy winter storage). I have no fluid at the nozzels and even a small amount of water will cascade from the rocker pannel. I searched the data base and found a picture of the tank during the installation of Lambo doors, however the right wing had been removed! Even though its a Crossfire access to the tank must be easier than removing part of the body

Old 06-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Location: Finger lakes region of central New york south of Rochester

Not only will it overflow if you add washer fluid while the system already has washer fluid in it but the owner's handbook recommends to add washer fluid when you notice that it's empty. Do you have an owner's handbook? It's a very good investment if you don't; i.e. what weight of synthetic motor oil did you put in? Chrysler/Mercedes recommends 0w-40 or 5w-40 full synthetic; not 5w-30 or 10w-30. I have a toll free number at work where you can order a handbook & have it sent to your address. I'll get the number tomorrow & then post it then. The toll free number for ordering an owner's handbook from Chrysler is (800)890-4038. They will send it to your address with no middle man (read, "dealer") involved!

Last edited by RAMPANT328; 06-17-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 456 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandgrounder
Has anyone replaced the tank? I am sure that mine has cracked or the hose has split(sloppy winter storage). I have no fluid at the nozzles and even a small amount of water will cascade from the rocker panel. I searched the data base and found a picture of the tank during the installation of Lambo doors, however the right wing had been removed! Even though its a Crossfire access to the tank must be easier than removing part of the body
So are you saying the tank will not hold any fluid or that fluid spills out when adding washer fluid to the tank ??

Old 06-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May sound silly but the switch for the mist/washer fluid has 2 positions. Push in lightly and the wipers swipe once (mist), you have to push in the switch an extra amount, position 2, to turn the pump on.

Worth a shot before taking things apart.

WOW is this thread OLD

Last edited by 70GT6; 06-15-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Forum Regular

Yes this an old thread, I am using the search engine as opposed to starting a new thread I have been "playing " with the wipers al day and I still cant get fluid, but can hear the pump(as can my buddy). Tomorrow I will run a fine copper mouse down the lines to see if that cleans any blockages, failing that its time for a colenoscopy

Old 06-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
So are you saying the tank will not hold any fluid or that fluid spills out when adding washer fluid to the tank ??
Yes, to both, none comming out of the nozzels, pump whining, blades swishing,and the rocker pannel awash with (now) water I have to have a crack in the tank,I didnt drain prior to storage "DUH," or I have a blockage @ the pump .I think the access to the pump and tank is what I am trying to get to with this post. That being said my info light is not indicating I need to add fluid

Old 06-20-2008, 07:43 AM
Forum Regular

Solved/ Repaired. I got some fine tubing and duct tape, and used compressed air to blow from the nozzels back to the tank, ,washers work fine now! I suspect something(grit,) was in the line and is still in the tank, but now I have a quick fix if it happens again

Old 06-20-2008, 09:44 AM

Great. Actually, the overflow idea isn't that bad. It's great for cleaning. Just stick a garden hose into the wiper fluid inlet and let the water push out the grit/junk. Just don't leave it in there, squirt it all out, then replace with washer fluid and purge the washer fluid line until washer fluid comes out.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sonoronos
Great. Actually, the overflow idea isn't that bad. It's great for cleaning. Just stick a garden hose into the wiper fluid inlet and let the water push out the grit/junk. Just don't leave it in there, squirt it all out, then replace with washer fluid and purge the washer fluid line until washer fluid comes out.
Great idea I'll give that a try after the weekend. I have a topsider and I will use that to drain the tank, prior to winter storage

Old 07-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Forum Regular