Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

confused...

Old 08-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confused...

I am really trying to become a crossfire owner...
The first one I drove and that I am/was trying to own is a brand new 2004 6 spd... I was looking at jeeps and my wife noticed the writing on the windshield that said $10,000 off, that piqued my interest! After i was able to get a bank to finance all but $5,000 (but I need 100%)! I started looking at other dealers on-line... found an '05 limited for the same price not too far away!!! It seems like a no-brainier but which should be the better buy?
Do I start to hammer the dealer with the '04 or do I see if the bank will go the extra $5k for a year newer car?
Why should the '04 and the '05 be the same price?
Not really expecting any answers here...just venting!

Old 08-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: confused...

Originally Posted by dbyrd3130
I am really trying to become a crossfire owner...
The first one I drove and that I am/was trying to own is a brand new 2004 6 spd... I was looking at jeeps and my wife noticed the writing on the windshield that said $10,000 off, that piqued my interest! After i was able to get a bank to finance all but $5,000 (but I need 100%!) I started looking at other dealers on-line... found an '05 limited for the same price not too far away!!! It seems like a no-brainier but which should be the better buy?
Do I start to hammer the dealer with the '04 or do I see if the bank will go the extra $5k for a year newer car?
Why should the '04 and the '05 be the same price?
Not really expecting any answers here...just venting!
I went for the '04 hoping that since that is the first year/edition it will be worth more later. Look at my pictures: http://www.freewebs.com/pbsuperti/

Old 08-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Forum Regular

I would go for the '05 model. From what I gather here more of the kinks had been worked out of them by '05. I bought a red '05 Limited Coupe the first of May and I've had no trouble with the car. I enjoy driving it everyday.

As everyone here will agree the Crossfire is a real blast to drive. It is also a very pleasant, quite highway car and boulevard cruiser. They're also not may around.

I tend to get a constant 21 mpg in city and 27 on long trips. Those numbers include having a little fun with the car at the same time. You gotta let loose of the reins occasionally.

I have had my share of bad luck with the tires. The Michelins are incredible tires driving. No quibble there. I have had to replace two since I bought the car. One back tire on the way home from the dealer. A piece of sharp metal in the road cut a V in the sidewall. Just two weeks ago I got a big screw in a front tire. It was too close to the sidewall and could not be repaired.

I recommend that you go to a Michelin dealer and see if they will sell you a road hazard warranty on the tires. I have spent $600 and change on tires alone since May.

Last edited by Midlife; 08-26-2006 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go with the '05. The '04 I drove road rougher and there was more road noise. Just an opinion though. Also the '05 feels like its got a little more power.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:18 PM

Before putting down any money, look at this forum very closely. Things to look at are:

1. Service by the dealers.

2. Back-up by DC

3. Cost of routine care: Gas, oil changes, tires, etc.

4. Aftermarket parts/options.

My wife and I bought her '04 in November 2004. It's been a good car but in a lot of ways, I wish that we'd bought some other brand. I'm not impressed by DC. I don't like $85 oil changes and I don't like having to use 91 octane gas.

It does handle very well and looks good, but it has not held its value.

John

Old 08-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I would go for the '05 for the reasons stated above and the better resell value. You're also more likely to have problems with an '04 that has been sitting on the dealer's lot this long... (Flat spotted tires, rusty rotors, battery...) mind you some of the '05s may have the same issues, my sat for 18 months...
One thing for sure you'll be getting a lot of car at DC's expense...If you don't mind saying what exactly are they asking for the '05 Limited? Based on what I have seen out in SE Michigan, mid $24k to low $25k without NAV and before tax and registration fees.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JCM298
My wife and I bought her '04 in November 2004. It's been a good car but in a lot of ways, I wish that we'd bought some other brand. I'm not impressed by DC. I don't like $85 oil changes and I don't like having to use 91 octane gas.

It does handle very well and looks good, but it has not held its value.

John
My .02 for what it's worth:

- DC service... I agree, it has not been the best and may be even worse now that the Crossfire is now officially their red herring.

- $85 oil changes... not really all that bad if you take into consideration the oil change intervals are 7,000 miles on the Crossfire, which is more than twice as long as other cars using regular oil. That comes to $42.50 (less if you buy your own oil and take it to the dealership) for an oil change.

- 91 octane fuel... on average it is only .20 cents more a gallon than regular. Figure a 15 gallon fill up x .20 is not that much more than regular, even at today's high prices.

- Holding it's value... true, it hasn't held it's value, but the Crossfire has only lost a little more than most American cars which also do not hold their value well when compared with most European and Japanese cars. Of course there are a few exceptions. But then again, at today's rock bottom prices for a new '04 or '05, you are getting a whole lot of car for your $$$. First year buyers are really the only ones that took it in the shorts paying MSRP of $33,000 to $35,000.

A couple of other things you may want to consider that will cost more:

- MB parts are more expensive than most American and Japanese cars.

- Buying new tires can be expensive, depending what brand you buy. Goodyear F-1 Eagles are in the $950 range while the OEM Michelin PS2's will run just over $1,200.

All in all, the Crossfire at today's price is a real bargin...

Last edited by ben47; 08-27-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dbyrd3130
After i was able to get a bank to finance all but $5,000 (but I need 100%)!
I don't like to say it... but you probably shouldn't be buying a Crossfire. The bank is essentially telling you the same thing. If you put nothing down and then for some reason you have to sell, where are you going to get the money to pay off the debt since you will be upside down for much of the loan term? Also, you have to consider the typically more expensive repairs and maintenance you get with a sports car. And so far, the Crossfire has depreciated at a faster rate than many owners would have liked which is probably a major reason the bank wants the $5K down payment.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rob M
The bank is essentially telling you the same thing. If you put nothing down and then for some reason you have to sell, where are you going to get the money to pay off the debt since you will be upside down for much of the loan term?
You are probably correct. But i don't think i have ever been in a positive equity situation...ever? I often follow my heart instead of my head in all of my purchases. I am a Buell owner as well. (That may say something about me)!

Old 08-27-2006, 02:53 PM

I can see you have read the above posts, both negative and positive. And, you are right, buying a car is an emotional thing, that is why the dealer wants you in the car before you leave the dealership.

My .02...go for the 05. I have had mine since Jan 05 ( A little over 18,000 miles to date). I drive it every day to work, about 55-60 miles round trip, now that I have found a nice twisty back road, I can avoid I-35. It's further, but more fun!

I have experienced zero problems with the car. It is just as tight as the day I picked it up. The paint is flawless, not a peel or run on it. As for maintenance...it has a 7/70 powertrain warranty, and an extended bumper to bumper 7/100 warranty. Have the dealer toss in an extended warranty, at no cost. If he wants to sell the car, he will. And, I am betting he wants to sell it.

Oil changes. I bring my own oil and the dealer charges me $18.50 for filter, and a total cost of $24.95 for the change (minus the oil). you can also ask them to include free oil changes as part of the deal. Several people on this forum had them included, from what I have read in the past. And, Our Jeep dealer throws them in for the life of the car.

Long story short...deals are out there. The dealers want to move the "unit" and you can ask for anything you want. All they can do is say no, and then you tell them, no problem, and walk out. Bet you don't hit the front door.

If you are buying the car for a long term investment, forget it, buy a Honda Accord. If you want a fun, enjoyable drive and don't care about resale value (and, who knows, it may actually improve as years pass) buy the XFire. You only live once...

Enjoy!

Old 08-27-2006, 04:12 PM

WOW... I think all that can be said has been!!!

Good luck with your decision!

Old 08-27-2006, 06:33 PM

Honestly I'm not sure what price your at but you should be able to find a fully loaded Limited brand new for somewhere around 20-24k. Unless your looking at a roadster then they appear around 25-30k.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:14 PM

DC must be given them away in Tennessee. The lowest for a new '05 Limited Coupe I have seen in MI is high 24k and 29k for a SRT in CA. Base Coupes are around $19k.

Last edited by MI1XFIRE; 08-27-2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:18 PM

I thought they were going for 20-25k in MI. Hell the SRT's are going for 29k there.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:35 PM

Yep the SRT is a much better buy. There is one here in San Diego going for 29K with only 230 miles. In Mi. the lowest SRT I have found was $29,900... Still a good buy at that price.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Forum Regular

my car is for sale... why not get it, its a steal at $20,995...tinted windows, benz engine cover, flow master exhaust, chrome grille, chrome window surround, chrome plated wheels *there's only like 2 of us with the chrome plated wheels*, i'll even give you a top sider *for changing your own oil, you don't have to go under the car*, 23,500 miles...i bet they want at least $25k for the new ones, so that solves your $5,000 dollar issue.

more pics and info:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=11679

Old 08-27-2006, 09:38 PM

Thank you all for your input...I have been thinking this through all weekend (a rainy one),
and checking in every once in a while for whatever was written...it seems to be a particularly good and helpful forum!
It would seem that the '05 is the choice...Alabaster with the red/grey interior. 6 speed (of course). The price seems fair...will check with the bank on Monday and hopefully, middle of this week, I can become an "official" member?
I will ask them to do an oil change prior to pick-up as i am sure the counter is expired...

JP...a tempting offer for your car...but i cannot buy used. It's just me!