Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.
View Poll Results: Are your windows tinted?
Yes
40.74%
No
59.26%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Window Tint

Old 08-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Window Tint

I've been wondering this for a while. Why is it that most of you guys don't have your window's tinted? Many of you have all the other upgrades like the illuminated door sills but you still haven't gotten your window's tinted? Don't you like being able to go down the road and pick your nose without anybody else being the wiser? (Ok I'm joking there). The protection to the interior alone is easily worth the cost, plus it just makes it look sleeker.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Window Tint

While I like the looks of tinted windows, it makes it darn near impossible to see out of after dusk and the internal reflection/glare compounds the problem even more. In a car where visibility is already limited, it just isn't practical for some of us. And the glass already has UV protection incorporated though admittedly not as much as with the tint. For the above reasons, it makes your comment arguable as to whether it is worth it or not. For me, it is not worth it.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In NY/NJ, you tint your window (front), you get a ticket. It is illegal. I got a ticket last year for tinted windows on a car I had for 10 years with tinted windows. I had to take them off. Hence, NO TINTED WINDOWS.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by porterhouse
In NY/NJ, you tint your window (front), you get a ticket. It is illegal. I got a ticket last year for tinted windows on a car I had for 10 years with tinted windows. I had to take them off. Hence, NO TINTED WINDOWS.
That blows, when you say front I'm assuming the driver and passenger door glass not the front windshield? Why did they make that law? and is it one of those laws thats only enforced in a blue moon?

Old 08-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
That blows, when you say front I'm assuming the driver and passenger door glass not the front windshield? Why did they make that law? and is it one of those laws thats only enforced in a blue moon?
I am in Philadelphia just over the bridge from NJ.
Tint on front side windows in NJ is a big no no but, then so is most stuff in jersey.
I have mine tinted illegally dark but I have had no problems.
My clear front markers are illegal too but oh well.
I have not been pulled over in my crossfire yet.
When I have been pulled over in other cars and police ask for license and registration, I hand them my drivers license, registration, insurance card, state inspection license, and Pa carry permit.
It seem to help me as I am upfront with them about the firearms and the state inspection license shows them I know more about car laws than they do anyway.
Oh, My windows are 15% and look great.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
Less than 30% is against the law in FL for front windows, less than 15% for back and rear.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:05 PM

35% here and no limit for the back is legal. But they don't enforce it.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by danimal
Less than 30% is against the law in FL for front windows, less than 15% for back and rear.
Which is a joke because how many people do you see riding around in cars that you know are against the law due to the dark tint? I see them all the time in the Tampa Bay area and would be scared to death to ride in half of them at night.

I love the minimal tint that came on my windows when I bought it. Sure, darker would keep the car cooler if I tinted them, but I have no desire...

Old 08-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Forum Regular

It is specifically against the law to tint driver and passenger windows because they want Police officers to be able to see if driver and/or passenger are pulling a weapon as an officer approaches the vehicle. I've had a Jeep GC that was a base model and didn't come with window tint and 4 Jeep GC's that came with the tint standard and although I like the look of the tinted cars the one w/out the tint was the far safer vehicle to drive and operate. No question about it.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Forum Regular

got mine 5% tint, and the law is for 35%, but cops don't mind anything about a car if its nice. its those damned ricer kids they pull over.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Forum Regular

All my cars are tinted, My mercedes has a limo tint on the rear and a light tint on the fronts, same on my crossfire. I have had the mercedes for 20 years and no tickets yet. I have been pulled over in the crossfire for not having a front plate.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by jp2005
got mine 5% tint, and the law is for 35%, but cops don't mind anything about a car if its nice, its those damned ricer kids they pull over
I'd love to know how you see out at night? LOL

I get to work at 5:45 in the morning and between morning migraine attacks and bright light having legal tint was a must and was done in the first month. People around here have a tendency to travel down the interstate with high beams on. Plus being this low to the ground puts the rear view mirrors right in line for those beams. Some low beams also look just as bright as High Beams (ie., trucks of any make). We have laws against this and I wish they would enforce them.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Forum Regular

arkansas here and tint is a ok. i bought my pacifica with almost blacked out tint from the dealer. i'll be upgrading the xf probably with some reflective bronze or dark gold color. i think the lexus looks great with the gold color tint.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As a person ages, their "night vision" diminishes. At 55, I'd have to say mine isn't what it used to be. I like the look of tinted windows from the outside though.
But if I was a police officer, I wouldn't relish the thought of walking up to unopened "tinted" window.
Besides, our cars are hard enough to see out of now. Why make it even harder, just for the sake of fashion.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Window Tint

Originally Posted by buggy4crossfires
It is specifically against the law to tint driver and passenger windows because they want Police officers to be able to see if driver and/or passenger are pulling a weapon as an officer approaches the vehicle. I've had a Jeep GC that was a base model and didn't come with window tint and 4 Jeep GC's that came with the tint standard and although I like the look of the tinted cars the one w/out the tint was the far safer vehicle to drive and operate. No question about it.
As Marc has stated. New York State/City Police (I am sure other states are using the same reasoning) want to be able see what's going on inside of vehicles. My windows are not tinted for safety reasons, I believe here in Virginia the limit is 30% and the front windshield and rear windshield cannot be tinted. Our cars have limited visibility, especially the Roadsters why would you want to compromise the situation more.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:58 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Untinted... I believe that all hot rods/muscle cars/sports cars should have maximum visibility at all times... but hey... that's just me.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:06 AM
Forum Regular

its funny this damn near splits the older and the younger crowd.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:03 AM

It really is interesting. Before I went to bed last night The Yes's were winning by one vote now its flipped. It is funny that the vote's flipped with the younger crowd. And for the limited visibility in the roadsters. You've always got an advantage over us coupe by putting the top down.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:23 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good! I'm in the younger crowd. I have legal tint at 50% here in Ohio. It doesn't effect night vision at all. In fact it reduces glare and improves night and day time driving. I love it!

Old 08-28-2006, 10:19 AM

I have 35% on all 5 windows, even though the law in IL is no tint on the front side windows.

The black cars with tint look so cool, not to mention the car stays much cooler on those hot summer days. With 35% I don't have a problem with night time driving either. If anything, its better because it helps with the blinding bright lights from behind, shinning in the mirrors.

Quick Reply: Window Tint