Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Ignorance isn't only at Chrysler...

Old 09-02-2006, 06:59 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Ignorance isn't only at Chrysler...

Yesterday I was out looking to get an oil filter, and of course, none of the Chrysler dealers I stopped at had any in stock. So I swing by a Mercedes-Benz dealership and ask the parts man for an oil filter for an '00 SLK320. While he's looking up the parts, I casually mention that it's really for an '04 Crossfire but that the engine/drivetrain is really an '00 SLK. The parts guy that's helping me says, "Wow, that's pretty cool." His buddy pokes his head around the corner and says not true, the Crossfire has a MB chassis, but has a Chrysler engine.

me: WTF...
him: Yep, It has an MB chassis and transmission, but the engine's a Chrysler. That oil filter won't work.
me: Care to step outside? I'll show you.
him: Sure, I'll prove it to you.
me: (pops the hood)
him: Holy $#!*#@, it an SLK320!
me:

The added bonus is that the prices they charged me for the parts was very reasonable. $20 for the filter (non-fleece), $1 for the drain plug crush washer, and $5.75/quart for the Mobil-1 0W40.

Speaking of oil, the parts guy told me that MB is now suggesting the use of 5W40 in all the non-AMG 3.2L engines. Can anyone confirm this?

Extra bonus: I asked them if the service dept would change my oil next time and they said "Sure, why not!" So guess where I'm going next time?

Old 09-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ignorance isn't only at Chrysler...

Originally Posted by bobs
him: Yep, It has an MB chassis and transmission, but the engine's a Chrysler. That oil filter won't work.
I thought you were going to fight him.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Forum Regular

me: (pops the hood)
him: Holy $#!*#@, it an SLK320!
me:

The added bonus is that the prices they charged me for the parts was very reasonable. $20 for the filter (non-fleece), $1 for the drain plug crush washer, and $5.75/quart for the Mobil-1 0W40.

Speaking of oil, the parts guy told me that MB is now suggesting the use of 5W40 in all the non-AMG 3.2L engines. Can anyone confirm this?

Extra bonus: I asked them if the service dept would change my oil next time and they said "Sure, why not!" So guess where I'm going next time?
Sounds like your local MB dealer doesn't know much about a Crossfire.

The price you paid for the old paper filter is way too high and they were supposedly recalled by MB and Chrysler for the newer fleece filters. When Chrysler dealers sold them they were in the $9.50 range. The newer fleece filters are selling for $18.50 at the MB and Chrysler dealerships in my area, so you got no deal at the MB parts counter on the paper filter.

You can buy Mobil 1 0W/40 at Wally's for $4.95 and take your own with you when you get it changed. It may sound cheap when walking in with your own oil, but hey... why give them your hard earned money if you don't have to? They are already charging you labor rates way higher than the tech gets that does the work, why pay extra for their over priced oil?

As for the oil grade, that has been tossed around here several times. Until such time as Chrysler comes out and changes the "recommended" oil type and grade, I think I'm safe in saying most people here have opted to stay with Mobil 1 synthetic 0W/40.

To me it seems your local MB knows nothing about the Crossfire, is charging way too much for an obsolete filter, and wants to put in the wrong grade of oil. What are they going to charge you for the oil change? I'm sure their labor charge is higher than Chrysler's.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ben, I thought $20 was pretty reasonable for the filter considering the Chrysler dealer quoted me $60, and at least the MB dealer had them in stock. Regarding the oil, I don't entirely disagree with you on the viscosity, but it makes sense to me. The extra thickness would keep things quieter at startup. As far as cost goes, it's worth the extra $.80 a quart for not having to deal with the big box store. Labor rates for the oil change will probably be higher, but in this case you get what you pay for. You wanna save money? Take your car to Jiffy Lube.

As far as them knowing a lot about the Crossfire, they're not really supposed to now, are they? It's a Chrysler, not an MB. Sheesh...

Old 09-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The parts guy that's helping me says, "Wow, that's pretty cool." His buddy pokes his head around the corner and says not true, the Crossfire has a MB chassis, but has a Chrysler engine.

you're going to let these make oil recommendations for you?? they didn't even know what engine you had!

Old 09-02-2006, 12:39 PM

After hearing about how inept most Chrysler Mech's are concerning the Xfire, other than the fact the MB Mech did not know which engine the Xfire had, when he realized it was the same engine as the MB, he said that MB was now recommending 5X30 for that particular engine. With the rep the Chrysler guys have, I think if I had a MB dealer around, I would probably go them also. The body is Chrysler's, the rest of the car is MB, and I would rather have someone working on my engine that is familiar with it.

Old 09-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bobs: great story, I guess it doesn't take a well informed person to work in a MB service dept. either !!! I'll bet most of us on this forum could run the service dept. for the Crossfire better than the "paid professionals".

As far as your oil question. About two years ago I had a very in depth conversation with the owner of Metric Motors in So. Cal., the largest remanufacturer of MB engines in the US. He said that most internal failures of the 3.2L were caused from oiling issues, that's why we have a 8.5 qt fill level.

He recommended, because I live in a hot/warm climate, to run straight 40W and change the filter every 2,000 miles and change the oil every 4,000 miles. This was before I turned the car into a track car. Now I run 50W and change it after every track event.

He also recommended adding one qt of Marvel Mystery Oil to the engine a day before you plan on changing the oil and then drive the car around for the day. This will cut all the sludge and build-up and allow it to flow out with the oil change.

Last edited by HDDP; 09-02-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Regarding the oil, I don't entirely disagree with you on the viscosity, but it makes sense to me. The extra thickness would keep things quieter at startup.
Actually the extra viscosity is going to help lube the engine when the temps rise internally. It would be prudent to run a thinner oil during colder temps and thicker during warmer... it's tough for the oil pump to circulate that thick oil when it's cold. That's why you hear the valve ticks at beginning of start-up and then they fade away...

I don't know where you live, but perhaps you should run 40w during the summer months and the multi-viscosity 0-40 during the winter...

Just my humble semi-educated opinion.

Old 09-02-2006, 03:01 PM

this is too good to be true! i won lunch one day betting that i had a mercedes engine... i was going to be a jerk and order something expensive, but i didn't.