Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

T-Tops, What do you think?

Old 09-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Tops, What do you think?

I have a black on black SRT-6 and have been debating about 90% no, 10% yes about getting custom T-Tops...What do you think?

The no's for me are:
  • Collector value of the car drops.
  • It might leak
  • Structural integrity
Any thoughts?

Old 09-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Default Re: T-Tops, What do you think?

I want to do the same thing; I would worry about the collector facto.
I'm just hoping mine won't depreciate faster then I can make payments.

Let me now if you find someone who can do it.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cuse
I have a black on black SRT-6 and have been debating about 90% no, 10% yes about getting custom T-Tops...What do you think?

The no's for me are:
  • Collector value of the car drops.
  • It might leak
  • Structural integrity
Any thoughts?
Apparently people already think our cars have t-tops. I've been asked twice how my car looks "without the t-tops in". I think t-tops would definitely give our cars some red-neck factor.

Perhaps there is a way to have a completely removable top and add some subframe connectors to the car to add a little more integrity.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Forum Regular

T-tops would be a good way to preserve the center spine and create a more open atmosphere in the cabin. I wouldn't worry too much about the collector car value. I really don't believe that the Crossfire will ever draw the big dollars that the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's are bringing in. I say, go for it!

Kevin

Old 09-09-2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by kjmurphy
T-tops would be a good way to preserve the center spine and create a more open atmosphere in the cabin. I wouldn't worry too much about the collector car value. I really don't believe that the Crossfire will ever draw the big dollars that the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's are bringing in. I say, go for it!

Kevin
that's for sure. it never evereverever will. people who think it will are crazy, they sold like 40,000 of them. there is nothing special about the car.
the parts are all old, i just don't see what makes people think its going to be a collectors item.

Old 09-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

T top sounds good. I would be concerned about the structural integrity though. Might be very costly.

I wouldn't worry about the future value. Most collectibles drawing top dollar are not pure. The majority have some customization.

As far as collectibility in the future, I think that in 10 - 15 years you might get what you originally paid if the car is kept well. I am referring to the SRTs. While there were 40K Crossfires sold, the SRTs were from only one year (2005) and appx 2K coupes and 900 roadsters.

Figuring on normal attrition rates (wrecked or junked), in 10-15 years there should be considerably fewer around. The styling is classic and quite close to the concept. A true affordable exotic.

Last edited by SRT SIX; 09-09-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:08 PM

I agree with Jeff, this would add a red-neck factor, but if you want a Trans-Fire go for it!

Old 09-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Forum Regular

the crossfire srt or non is or never will be an exotic (i do understand that some people think it is). the firepower wouldn't be an exotic either only about half the people that i know even consider the viper an exotic...so when i read the srt6 was an exotic i truly laughed -- saying in 10-15 years the crossfire will maintain value is also very funny. a brand new srt6 can be had for 30k, stickers at 50k, what makes you think the value of this car will stabilize as the car begins to look dated.

the car is not rare, they will be making srt6s again in 2007 it was not a one year run, even if it was, i don't believe it will ever be a collectible except maybe 60 or so years from now, when fossil fuels are no longer.

p.s. -- no disrespect to srt six.

as far as the t-tops, they would look great if they sat flush, but don't count on many if any at all body shops doing it, unless for quite a bit of $$$.

Last edited by jp2005; 09-09-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:40 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The topic of T-Tops for the Crossfire has been brought up before. At the time I mentioned the problem of storage, after I went out and measured how much of the roof section would actually have to be removed for the opening to look right.
Now everytime I think of our coupes with a T-top, Fords Mustang II comes to mind. That's when I decide it's just as well it's only a concept.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by jp2005
the crossfire srt or non is or never will be an exotic (i do understand that some people think it is). the firepower wouldn't be an exotic either only about half the people that i know even consider the viper an exotic...so when i read the srt6 was an exotic i truly laughed -- saying in 10-15 years the crossfire will maintain value is also very funny. a brand new srt6 can be had for 30k, stickers at 50k, what makes you think the value of this car will stabilize as the car begins to look dated.

the car is not rare, they will be making srt6s again in 2007 it was not a one year run, even if it was, i don't believe it will ever be a collectible except maybe 60 or so years from now, when fossil fuels are no longer.

p.s. -- no disrespect to srt six.

as far as the t-tops, they would look great if they sat flush, but don't count on many if any at all body shops doing it, unless for quite a bit of $$$.
Would it be correct to say to be an exotic for you, it must be Italian?

Old 09-10-2006, 05:17 AM

The SRT six has been discontinued for 2007, it will not be offered according to an earlier thread,and article from DC.

What is the definition of "Exotic" is it rarity? Or price? Or origin?

I do not have a good enough crystal ball to predict the resale of the Crossfire in the future. I do know that there are a lot of cars out there that sell for 4 to 5 times what they where worth after restoring to original condition, such as a '63 split window coup corvette, or a 1969 Camaro SS, not to mention a '64 Mustang.

No lets talk about out of style, all the new cars coming out our copying some of the original designs only a little sleeker, The 2005 Mustang, the 2006 Charger, the 2008 Camaro, the VW bug, and we could list many more.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Forum Regular

I would be more concerned at how the T-tops looked. If it looked factory or like a cobbed up job. When I bought cars at the auction if it had a non factory item I passed. Even a sunroof that was after market I had no interest in those cars. Unless it was an extremely good job that looked factory it always dropped the value of the car. When I say looked factory, I mean it fooled people. This would never look factory since it was not offered so what ever you spend on it you kiss goodbye plus a loss of value at trade in.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:17 PM

Upstate,

You nailed it! That is why so many "resto-rods" are pulling in big bucks at the auctions. If it is done so it looks like it was an original equipment mod, then someone will want it.

My comments about it being an "affordable exotic" refers to the unique style and cache it has. Everyone has their own definition of the word. Mine happens to include the passion this car inspires in its owners and admirers, be it positive or negative.

I can guarantee that at some point in the future when there are far fewer of these examples still out and about, there will be someone a little older then who will say something like "...Wow, I always wanted one of those when I was a kid..."

Old 09-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Forum Regular

most people i talk to would consider an exotic, built today. by the follow characteristics *stock*:
rare (3,000 produced a year*at the very most).
powerful (hp > 400, tq > 375).
quick (1/4 mile < 12).
superb handling (enough said).
top speed (170 or greater).
desirable (many people want, and very few can have).
valuable (not something many can afford, and retains value).
great styling (head turning).

now by my definition the crossfire falls into one category...styling, the car has decent handling but have you ever drove a carrera gt?

Old 09-10-2006, 02:46 PM

jp2005,

Good points. When I use the term "affordable exotic" perhaps a better term would be "near exotic".

It does win you over with looks, but consider (by your list).

Rare (3,000 produced a year...) SRT6 produced for NA less than 3K and only 2005.

Powerful (HP and torque proportional to size...SRT6 has good numbers, but agreed not yet supercar).

Quick (there have been exotics that don't run less than 12s, stock the SRT6 pulls very good numbers "affordably").

Superb handling - stock, the SRT6 is probably at the top of its class.

Top Speed - I don't think we know what it is...there have been posts that claims a governed 155 but others that said the NA cards do not have the governor. I am not advocating anyone PROVING this. My top speed was 130 on a short track.

Desirable - This is tough. If this car is so desirable, why are there still new cars on the lot? However, look at the reactions it draws from onlookers. I would call that desirable.

Valuable - The affordability factor is why I added the "affordable". As far as retaining value, many of those true exotics prices drop like a rock (until a number of years pass and with attrition quality cars become rare). I agree that anything over $100K makes it a little hard for the average person to buy (or justify). A $250K car that is a few years old that resells for $150K is still not affordable to most of us, but it really hold its value in the short term?

Is your definition correct? Of course it is!

Is mine correct? I can justify my opinions, so to me, YES! ...to me.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you consider a lotus elise?

Old 09-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
Someone else's problem!

Old 09-10-2006, 04:15 PM

Top Speed on an srt6 is about 158 mph...I have gone that fast on a straight and empty highway in Montana with my Radar detector on, but I always thought without the governor this car would top out at 178 mph..I may be wrong but my car definitely had more go in it than 158.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
let put this oversized go cart against my exotic scale.

rare -- passes.
powerful -- fails.
quick -- fails 4.6 0-60, and 13.5 1/4.
handling -- passes.
top speed -- fails (around 150).
looks -- decent.
desirable - -i don't think theirs many people that want one.
valuable -- msrp starting at 42k, and can be had now around 30k.

the srt six is more of an exotic than the elise.

srt six -- the handling of the srt6 may be good, but compare it to exotics (ferrari 612, carrera gt, ect), which is the class were comparing.

you can justify your opinion to yourself srt six and we can leave it at that, to avoid arguing.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I absolutely love the Elise and would consider buying one next time I go to buy a car. It might not have much horsepower but its power to weight ratio is crazy. Which was the idea behind it anyway and the styling is opinion based. I honestly think the Enzo is the ugliest car I've ever seen. But its an exotic.

Quick Reply: T-Tops, What do you think?