Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

heated seat problem - questions

Old 01-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: heated seat problem - questions

Hey Irafatsar, they did a good job for you over at Carl Burger? That’s good to hear, I pick mine up Friday for the heated seat issue and fog lights, so we'll see how they do. By the way, call me, you have to hear these new speakers!!

Old 01-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Well mine was at the dealer for 6 days to replace a trunk latch and fix the seats.
Got it back and 3 out of 4 heaters work, they need to order more parts. They put marks in both my illuminated door sills and they unplugged my wing when doing the latch.
I told them not!! to take it apart unless all the parts were there so it would not have to be taken apart multiple times, well the decided to take it apart anyway without calling me. I could go on but I just get angry with the level of stupidity.
I hope I never need any warranty work again! I'll stick to fixing it myself.

Oh and I am not just bashing Chrysler.
The flat rate warranty system if flawed! The tecs are forced to try to make a buck and the dealer gets fat.

Last edited by stryfox; 01-11-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by CrossfireLTD
I have had the seat heater issue also. My Dealer replaced both seat entirely with new ones and also installed a new control module (located behind the switches). The problem is two fold it’s either the control module or the heating elements or both. I got lucky my dealer is truly a 5 Star Dealer, issue's are never an issue, they are really customer service oriented.
Just got my car back from the dealer today, for the seat heater issue. Your post explains a lot, I took my car in last week, on Tues. Jan. 3 to replace both the driver's and passenger's seat heaters, none of them worked - Since I bought the car (used) the driver's side hasn't worked and the passenger side quit working a while back. I didn't get it back until last Fri. I get home and check the passenger seat and it doesn't work at all, also all I felt on the driver's side was the bottom warming up. So I took it back in on Monday and asked them to recheck it, they explained that they replaced all the heating elements in the seats initially, so maybe it was the control module you were talking about - Needless to say it took them 8 days to fix the seat heaters, but now at least it's over - hopefully I won't have to make another trip to the dealer anytime soon.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:30 AM

My driver's side bottom heater hasn't worked since I bought the car used about 4 months ago. I still have until April to get the repair done, while I'm under warranty. But I'm seriously considering not repairing it. The dealer claims that since I'm not the original owner, my warranty doesn't cover a loaner car. And I don't feel like paying for a rental car for a week while the dealer dicks around with my car. Especially since it'll probably break again a week later.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stryfox
Well mine was at the dealer for 6 days to replace a trunk latch and fix the seats.
Got it back and 3 out of 4 heaters work, they need to order more parts. They put marks in both my illuminated door sills and they unplugged my wing when doing the latch.
I told them not!! to take it apart unless all the parts were there so it would not have to be taken apart multiple times, well the decided to take it apart anyway without calling me. I could go on but I just get angry with the level of stupidity.
I hope I never need any warranty work again! I'll stick to fixing it myself.

Oh and I am not just bashing Chrysler.
The flat rate warranty system if flawed! The techs are forced to try to make a buck and the dealer gets fat.
Hey Stryfox...Sorry to hear about the poor workmanship. Did they just replace the heaters...and did they re-skin the seats. Did they do an acceptable job on the seats? Hope so...Are they going to replace your door sills that they scratched? I know you were leery to give your prize machine to those dealer mechanic thugs...but somehow they need to be held accountable for their poor workmanship. Did you take it to the dealer you bought it from...or to another local dealer?

Hope you have fun driving your Custom Crossfire in 2007.

Best of Luck.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:25 PM

My driver's side lower seat heater went out last fall. I put off taking it in because of all of the horror stories I have read about. I finally broke down and made an appointment to have the seat heater looked at and the passenger's window adjusted because of wind noise.

I took the car in a week ago last Wednesday. The dealer adjusted the window perfectly and told me they would have to order a repair kit for the seat heater.

The following Monday the dealer called to make an appointment to repair the seat heater. They said they would need 2 to 3 hours for the repair. I took the car in at 8:00 am on Tuesday and they called me at 10:30 am to say that it was ready.

The seat heater is as good as new. The seat is perfect and you can't tell that anything was ever done to it.

At this point I would say that my dealer has provided the level of service that a Crossfire owner should expect to receive from Chrysler.

Just thought I would share a positive experience with all of you.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:17 PM

I took it to reedmans toll where I bought it.
I'm not sure what they did as there was no real communication with them. They just kept avoiding me till I picked it up.
They are still my seats not new covers.
I am still having it out with them, I'll let you know how it goes...
It really would have went better if the service writer listened to me instead of being a know it all jerk.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:49 AM

After all this talk about seat heater problems, I had to try mine to see, and guess what... Drivers seat heater (back works) does not work, surprise.

I only drive mine during the sunny nice days and had never needed the heater. Guess I'll have to pull the cover off and take it for "winter" drive to the dealer, once the snow clears here in Colorado, which looks like April at this rate.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Forum Regular

Just got mine back from the dealer, they fixed my drivers bottom seat heater. That’s the good news.

The bad news is that they broke my cup holder in the process. It’s pushed down into the console about 3 inches and is stuck permanently. How did someone break this and not say anything? Actually this might be a good thing, since they have to fix it I'm gonna have them put in the storage compartment instead.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:37 PM

Well just to make you guys feel better. My buddy has his mustang at the ford dealer and he is having lots of runaround and poor repairs too.
Ugg.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:23 PM

Both my driver and passenger lower seat heaters don't work, only the upper heaters do. I'll probably get time to take the car in for repair in summer, when I no longer need them.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Question Re: heated seat problem - questions

Hello,

Has anyone found out what the problem is with the bottom heaters? I've heard of heater element problems and controller problems. I am assuming that the majority of problems is with the heating element.

Does anyone know if the replacement heater element fixes the weakness which causes them to burn-out?

Or is it being replaced with the same part...which is likely to burn-out again?

If its a stress problem causing the element to break...what is being done differently during the replacement to correct the problem?

Thanks...there appears to be a high percentage of people on this forum that have seat heater problems.

Has anyone taken one apart to know what the failure mechanism is...or asked the dealer or tech when one has been replaced?

Thanks

Old 01-16-2007, 11:13 PM

Interestingly, there are no seat heater failures to report. However, I can say that the driver seat heater (bottom) gets too hot for comfort. You can definitely toast a bun on the right side. The passenger side works great.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Woodlands
Interestingly, there are no seat heater failures to report. However, I can say that the driver seat heater (bottom) gets too hot for comfort. You can definitely toast a bun on the right side. The passenger side works great.
if you feel that your **** is on fire when the heater is on, that's actually a sign that your bottom heater is about to fail. mine did that and so did some of the other folks at the other forum.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:09 AM

It is about to go. Mine went that way too.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: heated seat problem - questions

Yes...what SRT6 & Stryfox said this is actually the start of the problem. When my heaters went out my Wife and I felt the same thing...the seats got very hot on the low setting. The next day they did not work, my theory is that the controller goes haywire and then burns out the elements or wiring for the elements. This problem has not reoccurred since having my seats replaced.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Angry Re: heated seat problem - questions

Update: Got a call from dealer today that correct seat heater is installed and working. Trim around console that they messed up and then replaced with a glossy piece has now been replaced with the correct satin piece. oh and the nice ding they put in the door jamb has been fixed Ok wait for it...

But they accidentally spilled paint on the silver crossfire door sill and will have to order another one from memphis. It should be here tomorrow so could you go ahead and hang on to the rental for another day...

WTF who are these dealers hiring???

Did I mention my sweet rental is a mini van!

Old 01-22-2007, 10:46 PM

Well, just got my seat heaters fixed less than 2 weeks ago, and the driver back seat heater went out again - I know they are constantly breaking but I at least thought they would last longer than a week. I have taken them to my dealer twice here in Dallas (Dallas Dodge), and both times they haven't fixed them correctly - can anyone recommend another dealership in Dallas that they have had a positive experience with? Just thought I would ask before I start calling around or go back to my dealership -

Old 02-13-2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by BRappaport
Hello,

Has anyone found out what the problem is with the bottom heaters? I've heard of heater element problems and controller problems. I am assuming that the majority of problems is with the heating element.

Does anyone know if the replacement heater element fixes the weakness which causes them to burn-out?

Or is it being replaced with the same part...which is likely to burn-out again?

If its a stress problem causing the element to break...what is being done differently during the replacement to correct the problem?

Thanks...there appears to be a high percentage of people on this forum that have seat heater problems.

Has anyone taken one apart to know what the failure mechanism is...or asked the dealer or tech when one has been replaced?

Thanks
They sell a repair kit for heated seats. I assume in most cases it is the element if they are partially working - if completely dead then module is probably also bad.

I have to repair myself as warranty is out and would like to find out if anyone has done this procedure.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:08 PM

Where do you buy that repair kit? How much?

Quick Reply: heated seat problem - questions