Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

heated seat problem - questions

Old 09-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question heated seat problem - questions

Hi Crossfire Fanatics!

For those of you that have had the problem with the heated seats...a couple of questions...

1. What typically fails...upper heater. lower heater...or both together?

2. Does the red light on the switch still light when the heater is not working?

3. Is it the dealers discretion to fix it and replace the existing cover...or can you ask them for a new seat?

4. Did anyone get the seat replaced...and have a color matching problem?

Thanks in advance for your answers and recommendations.

Crossfire Rocks!!!

Old 09-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: heated seat problem - questions

Originally Posted by BRappaport
Hi Crossfire Fanatics!

For those of you that have had the problem with the heated seats...a couple of questions...

1. What typically fails...upper heater. lower heater...or both together?

2. Does the red light on the switch still light when the heater is not working?

3. Is it the dealers discretion to fix it and replace the existing cover...or can you ask them for a new seat?

4. Did anyone get the seat replaced...and have a color matching problem?

Thanks in advance for your answers and recommendations.

Crossfire Rocks!!!
hi!

1. only my dr. lower failed.
2. red light still works.
3. don't know.
4. have appointment to have it looked at so they can order parts. they refused to order the parts without a tech. looking at it first.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i just had my drivers seat replaced due to a faulty seat heaters. the upper & lower seat heaters went bad in my car.

the upper part of the seat receives ~ new foam & seat heater... leather covering is reused.
the lower part of the seat receives ~ new foam, seat heater & leather covering.

the red light when activated still illuminates weather the seat heaters work or not.

the dealer will not replace the entire seat as a whole assembly... only the parts listed above.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:40 PM

I was at dealer today, it took them two hours to decide to order the parts I told them it needed.
Driver lower seat and trunk latch due to early style latch rattle.
They were nice, just slow. Hopefully it goes well when the parts come in.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My driver's lower seat heater has been out since I bought the car. As it was under warranty, I decided to go ahead and get it fixed - meant a trip in for "diagnosis" before ordering the parts. About a week later, got the call "the parts are in" and scheduled a repair day - left the car - late that afternoon: "we can't find the new parts" (!) They ordered the parts again - after another couple of weeks, I got the call to bring it in - that's been 6 months ago... Just am reluctant to let them mess with it now...

Old 09-13-2006, 09:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My lower seat failed. The light was still lit and they replaced the lower seat cover (leather). It matched just fine, but I had to take it back because it wasn't installed properly. They half as*ed fixed it. The heated seat works, it looks fine, it just feels like its a little fat near the knees.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:51 AM

Man I am so dreading taking my baby in for this repair. From all the posts on here I'll be sure my car is spotless and that I point out that there are no scratches in my door sill area.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:14 PM

My bottom driver side seat didn't work. So, they replaced the bottom part of the seat with new leather and of course, a new heated seat. The leather looked a bit off, but that is because I have been using leather care on the seats. You really couldn't tell a difference. It has been about 3 months and it looks like the rest now. Of course, the warrenty replaced everything. Without it, it would have been around $1,000.00 bucks. You can buy new seats on EBay for that much.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:47 PM

anyone have the seats fail after replacement?
are the new parts any better than the originals?
thanks for any info.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by stryfox
anyone have the seats fail after replacement?
are the new parts any better than the originals?
thanks for any info.
Replacements are no better. I've replaced mine 3 time in 3 winters. I'm going on my 4th winter but haven't tried it yet because it's still too warm in the northeast. Out of warrantee so I'll have to pay this time, maybe?

Old 09-15-2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by xfirejunky
Replacements are no better. I've replaced mine 3 time in 3 winters. I'm going on my 4th winter but haven't tried it yet because it's still too warm in the northeast. Out of warrantee so I'll have to pay this time, maybe?
Wow, that totally sucks!
I am tempted to just take mine apart to see what keeps making them go bad.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stryfox
Wow, that totally sucks!
I am tempted to just take mine apart to see what keeps making them go bad.
Since the dealer is ordering new parts for you...maybe you can be with the Tech when he fixes it...or ask to see the old part for analysis. This has got to be a Design flaw causing these elements to go bad. It would be nice to know whether the element is burning out...or if its cracking from seat pressure applied in a particular position. Since people are saying that the replacement does not really solve the problem...only delays it...we need a fix...not a delay.

Stryfox...hope you can resolve this problem for all in the forum. If not...we will be paying for the fix again after the warrenty expires!

Thanks for your interest and concern. Nice to have your expertise as part of this forum.

Thanks.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Forum Regular

Before having a broken seat warmer repaired, you may want to think twice... do you really need it and want to take a chance on a bad repair and poor installation of the new seat cover? After the botched attempt getting mine repaired, I suddenly realized that, sometime it's best just let some things go. My reasoning comes from my own experience and as posted elsewhere, some dealers have done a less than perfect repair replacing the seat cover.

See my attachment below. Notice the difference in seat colors and the poor installation of the drivers side at the corner edge. My dealer said they saw no problem with their repair, and the district service manager said, "the repair is adequate". I took it to an upholstery shop and had it fixed properly at my own expense. The dealership owner eventually reimbursed me... but that was the last straw and I will no longer do business with that dealership.

Good luck...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Seat.jpg (24.1 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by ben47; 09-15-2006 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by BRappaport
Since the dealer is ordering new parts for you...maybe you can be with the Tech when he fixes it...or ask to see the old part for analysis. This has got to be a Design flaw causing these elements to go bad. It would be nice to know whether the element is burning out...or if its cracking from seat pressure applied in a particular position. Since people are saying that the replacement does not really solve the problem...only delays it...we need a fix...not a delay.

Stryfox...hope you can resolve this problem for all in the forum. If not...we will be paying for the fix again after the warrenty expires!

Thanks for your interest and concern. Nice to have your expertise as part of this forum.

Thanks.
I'll see what I can do.
I'll try to make friends over there and try to examine the old parts.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:43 PM

Finally got the car in for this issue as they had to fix my turn signals. I explained to them the likely hood of scratches when they repair the seat and that I had better not see any. I told them what to order but of course they thought they had a new kit where just the wire could be replaced. Long story short, wrong part they have to reassemble and reorder what I told them. Get a call from dealer yesterday, bad news, while our guy was putting the seat back in he tripped and dropped the seat on the door sill chipping it. They say they will repaint it if that’s what I want but we might as well wait to decide since they still have to take the seat out to fix it right.
What we have to go thru to own these cars.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Forum Regular

On a positive note, I had my seat heater replaced and it was done perfectly, seat looks great, and the heater works perfectly. Got 3 inches of snow last night and my toosh has never been toastier!

Old 01-11-2007, 04:45 PM

This is what I think about the heated seat problem: CRAP! It seems like everyone has had problems with them including me. My driver’s side bottom part went out last summer. Not a big deal cause it was still under warranty. Well, the other day my girlfriend and I were rolling around downtown Austin and hers went out. Bad part was my car (not even kidding) was 10 miles until 36k. By the time I had a chance to get it to the dealer, it had about 50 miles over the 36k. GREAT. Lets just all agree the seats are very nice, but something needs to change. BUT, I still love my car!

Old 01-11-2007, 04:46 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by golfergal
On a positive note, I had my seat heater replaced and it was done perfectly, seat looks great, and the heater works perfectly. Got 3 inches of snow last night and my toosh has never been toastier!
Toasty? Mmmm.

The difference is that the guys at your dealer know what they are doing, and aren't clumsy and trip.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: heated seat problem - questions

I have had the seat heater issue also. My Dealer replaced both seat entirely with new ones and also installed a new control module (located behind the switches). The problem is two fold it’s either the control module or the heating elements or both. I got lucky my dealer is truly a 5 Star Dealer, issue's are never an issue, they are really customer service oriented.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Forum Regular

My driver side lower went out. Dealer fixed it no problem, we will see how long it lasts. I made some laser cut .032 lexan covers to protect my illuminated door sills, they look awesome and protect from clumsy technicians with monster work boots. I will try to post some pictures this weekend.

Quick Reply: heated seat problem - questions