Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Rust

Old 09-16-2006, 05:53 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust

Hi All,

I have noticed that I have rust around the boot (trunk for you yanks) latch and the two screws beside it. Has this been a problem for anyone else? If I took it to a dealer would they laugh at me? Also when the car is locked and you try using the latch (thinking the car is unlocked) it gets stuck in the up position.

I'll posts some pictures soon.

MARK

Old 09-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rust

No you actually have a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty on the rust. This should not happen. Take it to the dealer and if they laugh at you call Chrysler.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Forum Regular

MARK_UK... I don't know what the warranty and limits are on your side of the pond, but here in the U.S., rust and corrosion claims are tough warranty issues to deal with. I'd say the cooperation you get from your dealership has alot to do with it.

There are two sets of warranty limits and several loopholes of what is and is not covered to take into consideration. According to the Warranty Booklet that came with U.S. cars (page 10, section 2.3 A and B), the limits are 3 years with NO mileage limits, and the second is 5 years or 100,000 miles. Page 15, section 3.6 covers what kinds of corrosion is not covered (check it out, your going to be surprised... corrosion caused by sand and salt are NOT covered).

Good luck and keep us posted...

OT: Thirteendog... please explain, I see this a lot on this forum by newer members... "call Chrysler".

Are you talking about the 1-800 customer service number? If you are, it is a waste of time. They have no authority to make the dealer do anything. Each dealership is an individual business, which they have no control over.

When you make a complaint, the customer service rep (an entry level job) takes down your information, calls your dealer and then reports back to you. Their response will be what the dealer has already told you. The customer service reps will not elevate your problem, nor give you phone numbers to anyone higher up in the Chrysler food chain. You have to dig that up yourself (and good luck).

Unless "you" know someone in on the inside, the only route you have is:

service writer --> service manager --> dealership general manager or owner --> district service manager (his findings are final as far as DCM is concerned) --> file a complaint with the NHTSA, if safety related --> if you live in AR, ID, KY, or MN, file a complaint with the state Customer Arbitration Process --> and as a last resort --> lemon law arbitration if the car meets the mileage, time and other requirements laid out by your state.

"Call Chrysler" is a complete joke... been there, done that with my 6-speed popping out of 1st gear, window noise and driver's seat cover replacement issues.

Last edited by ben47; 09-16-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The corrosion protection only applies to rust through of sheet metal. Hardware such as screws and latches aren't covered if they have some surface rust. If the parts corroded to the point they no longer performed their intended function you would have some recourse especially if a safety issue. But from a cosmetic standpoint, the warranty offers no coverage.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
No you actually have a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty on the rust. This should not happen. Take it to the dealer and if they laugh at you call Chrysler
does this warranty really exist?

Old 09-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by former NXMX5
Corrosion warranty provides 36 month unlimited mileage for rust through. For the outer body sheet metal that is painted, the coverage is extended to 5 years/100k miles, whichever comes first.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by former NXMX5
sorry I thought it was 10, turns out it's 5.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by MARK_UK
Hi All,

I have noticed that I have rust around the boot (trunk for you yanks) latch and the two screws beside it. Has this been a problem for anyone else? If I took it to a dealer would they laugh at me? Also when the car is locked and you try using the latch (thinking the car is unlocked) it gets stuck in the up position.

I'll posts some pictures soon.

MARK
They'll laugh at you... Both of my doors are rusting.

According to 2 dealerships, unless you can push a screw driver through the rusted area and out the other side of the sheet metal, it's not rusted enough to warrantee.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jpristel
They'll laugh at you... Both of my doors are rusting.

According to 2 dealerships, unless you can push a screw driver through the rusted area and out the other side of the sheet metal, it's not rusted enough to warrantee.
J,

I think I've see you post this issue before regarding rust. You live in Arizona, I thought this was the part of the country where rust should not be an issue. Can you take some pics (or point me to them) so we can see what the situation is?

Thanks bud.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sennaspirit
J,

I think I've see you post this issue before regarding rust. You live in Arizona, I thought this was the part of the country where rust should not be an issue. Can you take some pics (or point me to them) so we can see what the situation is?

Thanks bud.
Yeah, I do live in AZ, so AFAIK there is only 1 DC dealership that deals with rust in all of Phoenix, and they are actually a Dodge dealership.

None of the dealerships even believed me until they saw it. You can't tell from the pics but the rust is nearly all the way through the sheet metal. A couple more months and I'll probably have new doors (and hopefully a few less door dings).

Here's the thread w/ the pics: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...highlight=rust