Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Warning, Rear bumper and hatch collision

Old 09-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning, Rear bumper and hatch collision

I am very meticulous with my car and the other day, I was opening the rear hatch when I noticed something that really made me mad. Apparently, the bumper stops on the hatch had shifted a tiny bit and when the hatch was shut, the sharp corners of the hatch struck the top portion of the bumper (the 2 extensions that come up next to the taillights. Just a warning- make sure your hatch is adjusted. It isn't real noticeable to most people and a little touch up paint will take care of it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 09-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Default Re: Warning, Rear bumper and hatch collision

When I bought mine ... I noticed that it appeared someone had slammed the hatch shut causing a small chip in the paint. It is not really noticeable and not worth trying to chip repair and causing even more of an eye sore as it is in a difficult area to remedy neatly.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Forum Regular

Yeah, I always try to shut the hatch slowly with just enough force to latch it, but apparently it can still make contact with the bumper if the rubber stops aren't adjusted perfectly.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:44 PM

You need to not slam the hatch. I drop it from about 10". If you do any higher it will do what you are seeing!

Old 09-23-2006, 07:46 PM
Forum Regular

Mine has the nick on the drivers side as well as marks where both side rubbers hit. Its a no charge option that came with my car.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:56 PM
Forum Regular

As I said before, I do not slam the hatch, I'm always very careful when shutting it.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Abuse of vehicle hatches/doors is always a source of pain for owners.

I have yet to abuse ANY of the vehicles I've owned by 'slamming' a door, trunk (boot), or hood (bonnet).

In fact, I get a little irritated with my 'social coordinator' and other family and friends when I catch them doing it. I simply mention "Please go easy on the car, it's supposed to last a while."

Old 09-24-2006, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Abuse of vehicle hatches/doors is always a source of pain for owners.

I have yet to abuse ANY of the vehicles I've owned by 'slamming' a door, trunk (boot), or hood (bonnet).

In fact, I get a little irritated with my 'social coordinator' and other family and friends when I catch them doing it. I simply mention "Please go easy on the car, it's supposed to last a while."
I totally agree, I was not referring to us owners. Usually it is the passenger that slams the trunk. It only happened to me once, they basically cranked it from full opened and wham! I now make sure I close the trunk.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Forum Regular

I agree, sometimes if I have someone riding with me they will get out and for some reason they see the need to slam the door hard. It's happened on more than one occasion. I don't understand why people think the door won't shut unless they use all of their force.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blacklimitedcoupe
I am very meticulous with my car and the other day, I was opening the rear hatch when I noticed something that really made me mad. Apparently, the bumper stops on the hatch had shifted a tiny bit and when the hatch was shut, the sharp corners of the hatch struck the top portion of the bumper (the 2 extensions that come up next to the taillights. Just a warning- make sure your hatch is adjusted. It isn't real noticeable to most people and a little touch up paint will take care of it. Has anyone else had this problem?
I think there was a thread on this before. I believe the suggestion (which I will soon implement myself) was to clean the area, fix damage and then apply a thin self adhesive clear strip in the area where the stopper touches the hatch frame. I'm cleaning up the XF today for the OC show and will send a pic when I put the strips in place.

Adjusting the stoppers is also a thought as well.