Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

I haven't gone anywhere, please read!

Old 09-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow I haven't gone anywhere, please read!

Hello everyone, I haven't gone anywhere, just had some problems logging in and it took some time to get back with me. Unfortunatly I'd like to pass on to everyone that I lost my Dad the day after Labor Day to Congestive Heart Failure, he was only 62 years old. As expected, it hit me suddenly and very hard and I had to get myself together. My Dad is the reason why I'm the way I am with cars and keeping my car clean. I'm very glad to have gotten to take him to the Dragon last year (Route 129) It was my 3rd year in a row and he'd been hearing all about it from me so last year was his turn. It was very special, especially since it was the first time I ran the Dragon with a RWD car and the Crossfire didn't dissappoint us either. He'll now be looking down on me making sure I do the right things in life with my family and my love of cars.

Now, speaking of the Dragon, I see we have a new member (DragonSlayer129) great screen name and BTW, do you live nearby? If so we're going to be down there the weekend of Oct 12th - 15th, hope to see you out there because as you know the Crossfire kicks *** on the Dragon, especially with the "Pilots".

Once again, its good to be back and a special thanks to Andrew for getting ahold of the Admin and thanks to Derek for getting ahold of Andrew, thanks guys!

Old 09-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I haven't gone anywhere, please read!

Welcome back Aero Blue and my condolences.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aero,
If you have the time once you're done slaying the Dragon, take a detour on the way home and do Skyline Drive. It's absolutely amazing. I posted a thread about it: here. Look me up if you're in the area. I'll give you a tour!

Old 09-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Forum Regular

That's a real bummer. It has to be tough dealing with such a loss. It's something I just can't imagine happening to my pops, but I know nothing last forever, how do you manage something like that?

Anyways, what the heck is the dragon?

Old 09-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Dragon is a legendary road in North Carolina. 318 turns in 11 miles:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
poster2005.jpg (102.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 09-29-2006, 11:30 PM
Forum Regular

My condolences to you and your family. And welcome back.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:56 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm fairly new to the forum, and therefore have not exchanges notes with you, but I know how tough it is to lose a dad. Especially when they are close to us. Mine was the wing beneath my wings.
My condolences and welcome back.

Old 09-30-2006, 08:59 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

aero blue... i am so very sorry to hear about your father. i can't imagine the pain. i wish him and you the best.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Forum Regular

So sorry to hear about your loss Aero. Be thankful for the wonderful times you had with him and apparently the wonderful memories those times provided. He's not gone he's just in a different place now where nothing can harm him anymore. Nothing we can say or do will ease the pain of the loss but nor can anything diminish the love you hold for him in your heart. He must have been quite a guy. I know mine is too. Marc

Old 09-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Forum Regular
Smile Re: I haven't gone anywhere, please read!

Originally Posted by bobs
Aero,
If you have the time once you're done slaying the Dragon, take a detour on the way home and do Skyline Drive. It's absolutely amazing. I posted a thread about it: here. Look me up if you're in the area. I'll give you a tour!
First off THANKS to everyone with their thoughts and prayers, its much appreciated!

Bobs, I stay in Tellico Plains and its the beginning of the Cherahola Skyway and YESSS!, its awesome. The road is completely different from the Dragon as its got more "sweepers" and the elevation changes are AWESOME! I love getting out and taking pics and observing the beautiful scenery way up in the mountains. I plan on going down there every year for the rest of my life, God willing. I will be driving several cars out there this year as we're changing cars between us:

- 03' EVO
- 04' ION Redline
- 07' Caliber R/T AWD

Needless to say I can't wait to get down there and try and forget about everything for a while anyways. I know I'll be doing down there one last time in the Crossfire next year so maybe we can try and plan a run out there amongst us all.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:25 PM

Aero. my deepest sympathy. I lost my grandmother last year. It was tough. I can imagine difficult time you went through. However, it is great to think that he is in better place.

I have read about the "tail of the dragon". I think it was written up on one of the car magazine a few months ago. They also have a website www.tailofthedragon.com. There are many interesting video clips of motorcycles and cars doing the corners. Many have wrapped around the trees. They said it is Mille Miglia of East Coast. I would love to visit and straighten out those curves. One of these days...

Old 09-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Forum Regular
Arrow Re: I haven't gone anywhere, please read!

The Dragon was also on an episode of "Superbikes" a couple months ago, that was bad ***! There's something about seeing a place you've been to so many times. The trip to the Dragon is 620 miles on way for me and will always be well worth it. Its also true about the write up on the car magazine, I think it was M/T but the only problem with it is this, MORE PEOPLE SHOW UP! I want people to come and enjoy the road but courtesy MUST be shown to everyone, especially the bikes as 15 bikers have lost their lives on the Dragon, but surprisingly NO car owners. I plan on running the Dragon at nighttime this year and I now feel ready to do it. I was on the Skyway last year (sorry Bob, this one isn't the one you were referring to earlier) at night time and it was wild. Its pitch black out there and you've gotta pay attention that much more.

I really hope a bunch of us make it out there next year, a show of support for the Crossfire, might as well since DCX never had.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

AB
Welcome back and all best thoughts to you. I lost my dad prior to 9/11, in retrospect, it's better that way, that tough old Marine who spent most of his life working in the lower Manhattan would not have done well that day. I find more and more that he's not really gone, since the things I do, say, and behave are things that were passed along from him. God bless.

I would love to do the Dragon some time. I recently saw a motorcycle show about the run and it looks like an amazing run.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Default Sorry to hear about your loss

I live in Knoxville and frequent the Dragon as well as the other mountain roads. The Cherohala, NC28 "Hellbender", West Foothills Parkway, and 441 from Cherokee to Gatlinburg are all great roads to cruise on.

Unfortunately I won't be in town the weekend you and your group are going to the Dragon.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: I haven't gone anywhere, please read!

Hey DS129, do you know anything about "The Snake". The guy at Wheelers has a shirt with that route on it. He said its about an hour and a half NE of the Dragon.

What do you think about the Crossfire on the Dragon? What mods do you have done to your car? With the "Pilots" and 6 spd its AWESOME.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:20 AM

Just picked my Crossfire up a few weeks ago, ordering a Sprint Booster and looking at all the engine mods available to figure out the best route to more H.P. I've got the auto so the SB is a priority. The Conti's on it seem to stick pretty well, HP is my first concern then tires/cosmetics.

There are lots of nicknames springing up for mountain roads, the recent success of the "dragon" as a tourist destination has led to names getting dropped on any road with a cool curve anywhere in the mountains. I have not heard of "The Snake" but then again I have been flying up and down NC 28 since the late 90's and just learned it was called the Hellbender a few years ago. If you know the route number or road name I can likely provide some info for it.

As for the Dragon in a Crossfire, first and foremost, lane crossing kills. Stay in your lane (you likely already know that since you've been there) The beauty of the Crossfire to me is the handling, this thing corners like a dream and has just enough H.P. (I have a Limited) to jump out of most the uphill corners. The SRT-6 would likely be perfect, there are some spots where I need just a bit more H.P. but I can flat out get through the corners.

I like going on weekdays when there is less traffic so I can get on it a bit, if you know the road you can setup for the blind corners and have a blast in a Xfire or any other car for that matter. Key is the traffic, get stuck behind a few slower vehicles or in the middle of a group of 30 MC's just cruising with the wife on the back and it's just a pretty drive. Get some open road with light traffic and it's a whole new ball game.

Fellow Michigander I see, I grew up in the St. Joe area.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Thumbs up The Dragon

Originally Posted by Dragonslayer129
There are lots of nicknames springing up for mountain roads, the recent success of the "dragon" as a tourist destination has led to names getting dropped on any road with a cool curve anywhere in the mountains. I have not heard of "The Snake" but then again I have been flying up and down NC 28 since the late 90's and just learned it was called the Hellbender a few years ago. If you know the route number or road name I can likely provide some info for it.

As for the Dragon in a Crossfire, first and foremost, lane crossing kills. Stay in your lane (you likely already know that since you've been there) The beauty of the Crossfire to me is the handling, this thing corners like a dream and has just enough H.P. (I have a Limited) to jump out of most the uphill corners. The SRT-6 would likely be perfect, there are some spots where I need just a bit more H.P. but I can flat out get through the corners.

I like going on weekdays when there is less traffic so I can get on it a bit, if you know the road you can setup for the blind corners and have a blast in a Xfire or any other car for that matter. Key is the traffic, get stuck behind a few slower vehicles or in the middle of a group of 30 MC's just cruising with the wife on the back and it's just a pretty drive. Get some open road with light traffic and it's a whole new ball game.
Hey DS 129,
I've been reading your old posts about the Dragon & you got me salivating for more Dragon time.
I was going to ride the Dragon again yesterday, but the Battery was Dead in my New SRT6, just like my Limited 6 weeks ago.
So, maybe next weekend? (Labor Day???) Maybe not?
I'm waiting for the Day of 25 to 50 to 100+ Crossfires in file, Cruising these Beautiful NC/TN Mountain Roads, What a Sight that would be!

Last edited by SilverFox; 08-26-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Aero Blue
Hello everyone, I haven't gone anywhere, just had some problems logging in and it took some time to get back with me. Unfortunatly I'd like to pass on to everyone that I lost my Dad the day after Labor Day to Congestive Heart Failure, he was only 62 years old. As expected, it hit me suddenly and very hard and I had to get myself together. My Dad is the reason why I'm the way I am with cars and keeping my car clean. I'm very glad to have gotten to take him to the Dragon last year (Route 129) It was my 3rd year in a row and he'd been hearing all about it from me so last year was his turn. It was very special, especially since it was the first time I ran the Dragon with a RWD car and the Crossfire didn't dissappoint us either. He'll now be looking down on me making sure I do the right things in life with my family and my love of cars.

Now, speaking of the Dragon, I see we have a new member (DragonSlayer129) great screen name and BTW, do you live nearby? If so we're going to be down there the weekend of Oct 12th - 15th, hope to see you out there because as you know the Crossfire kicks *** on the Dragon, especially with the "Pilots".

Once again, its good to be back and a special thanks to Andrew for getting ahold of the Admin and thanks to Derek for getting ahold of Andrew, thanks guys!
Sorry to hear about your dad. I almost lost my dad last year due to a heart attack. He too was 62 when it happened. I too got my car enthusiasm from him.