Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

1,000 mile trip, my observations

Old 10-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 1,000 mile trip, my observations

Got back from Ft. Worth yesterday from Manhattan. Took a 1,000 mile round trip to TCU to see my sister. All in all, I was very impressed with how the crossfire did. I thought the lack of interior space would bother me (I am 6'3") but was surprised to find out it really didn't. Here are the thoughts I have come up with...

Pros
- VERY stable (had it up to 125 and there seemed to be plenty left).
- The cars stability and stiffness continues to amaze me (feels like I am in a small tank).
- Plenty of power
- Everything else about the car that is not listed in the cons (haha ).
Cons
- The arm rest on the door (after about 20 minutes with your elbow on this you get an imprint of the grain on your elbow not to mention it is very hard and very uncomfortable. It needs some padding and to be covered in leather).
- The seats (I had to come back with a small pillow to put behind my lower back. I am only 20 and should not have these problems. Needs lumber BADLY).
- Tranny (I know that most cars at this time had 4 speeds and an overdrive, but with a second overdrive or a fifth speed this car would get really good gas mileage. I got an average of 27.5 which aint bad, cruising most the way at 77).

The complaints are really minor and as I said earlier I am really pleased with the crossfire. Now I need to go wash all the bugs off before my mom gets her back!!

Old 10-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Default Re: 1,000 mile trip, my observations

I'd have to agree on the cons. Seats need lumbar support! There was a thread about putting the support in yourself. I've driven over six hours in the Crossfire and had the same problem. I'm 6'2" so I have the seat all the way back for leg room. Another problem I had was leg fatigue or cramping. I guess I never got the seat in the correct position to get in a comfortable spot. I did stop a couple of times to be able to walk around and get loose!

Even with this, I really like my car. Not many on the streets and they look great!

Old 10-03-2006, 09:38 PM

Ya, we made a couple stops during the eight hour trip down. Again, wasn't bad at all. I will have to say I forgot to mention the amount of wind noise. I think for a car like this that feels like a tank, there is an excessive amount of noise...the tires contributing to alot of it. My 1998 camry is 10 times quieter on the highway!

Old 10-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I made my own arm rest pads and covered them in leather.
I would put some pics in my gallery but I can't get it to work.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm older than both of you, I'm 6'2.5" 215 lbs, and I've had lower back surgery a few years ago. But I've got to say, that the Crossfire is one of the most comfortable long distance runners I've owned.
As Jag80 pointed out, finding the illusive "sweet spot" can take some time, but when you find it, it's great.
I've spent over 12 hours in the seat at one time (stopping only for food, fuel and to use the head) and when I got home, I actually felt as though I could have gone a few more hours, and still not be exhausted.
It's true, the seats seem hard, especially the bottom cushion, but so far for me it hasn't caused any problems. I use the cruise control a great deal, so I can shift my legs around alot, and I never get cramps.
There is a little dent on the drivers side arm rest where my elbow always rests, but I haven't noticed any unusual discomfort from it. Still, Baksdak's suggestion for padding and real leather sounds intriguing.
I think if you're experiencing excessive wind noise, then you need to have the dealer inspect your weather stripping, and window alignment. My cars windows seal up just right and it's almost too quiet at times. My all season Conti's are noisy, but only at very slow speeds. On the highway, or actually anything above 35 mph they're fine.
Since the seats don't have anywhere to recline, I'm forced to sit in a much more upright driving position than I'm normally used to in any of my other vehicles. But as it turns out, I've found out sitting that way has caused alot of the neck pain I used to get on long trips to disappear.
This car keeps impressing me, almost everytime I take it out.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm only 5'11", but I'm in the same boat as +fireamx, I too have the seat nearly all the way back with only a slight recline and I don't get any neck stiffness at all. I tend to sit fairly upright anyway, so it's nothing new to me. I can't seem to drive in a reclined position (lazyboy) as I'll start to fall asleep.

My wife and I will be doing a 2,000 mile trip (each way) in December, so we'll be able to tell you more about that one in the new year.

We may be making a trip from the Bay Area to Las Vegas in november. That would be at least 10 to 11 hour drive, so that will be a good preview for our trip in December.

So far, I haven't had any problems with lack of lumbar, but I'm thinking I may install the 'inflatable' lumbar fix that was shown in the forums just in case.