Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

A/T autostick shifting question

Old 10-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/T autostick shifting question

I use the autostick on my coupe quite often. Every once in a while, I will upshift and it will show the higher gear on the dash, but it doesn't upshift. I will continue to accelerate and finally it will upshift. This only happens once in a while. I thought it was a problem, but I rented a few crossfires and they did the same thing. Anyone else experience this?

Old 10-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A/T autostick shifting question

Funny you should post this. I was about to ask the same question. Maybe it's pilot error on my part. I'll drop mine into a lower gear and accelerate and when I shift up it just winds the engine higher. It does eventually shift but it's after I really let off the gas a lot. This makes a heck of a scene and I feel foolish.

For me it seems to happen in situations where I have to quickly get out of someone's way. When I deliberately shift manually from a stop all is fine even if I wind it out.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blacklimitedcoupe
I use the autostick on my coupe quite often. Every once in a while, I will upshift and it will show the higher gear on the dash, but it doesn't upshift. I will continue to accelerate and finally it will upshift. This only happens once in a while. I thought it was a problem, but I rented a few crossfires and they did the same thing. Anyone else experience this?
Mine does that too (eventually upshift) but I'll have to check if the indicator shows the higher gear. Generally, the autostick feature is ok, but it's definitely same as a manual gear box. I find downshifting, particularly under breaking deceleration, it will jump gears (say from 4th to 2nd) when I really wanted third.

C'est la vie, I guess I shoulda bought a 6 speed if I wanted that much control.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys I think you will probably find the computer is second guessing you. I am sure it is like the MB systems I work with and probably can be turned off but if the computer thinks the transmission or engine will be hurt by the command it does nothing or what it thinks is safer. Another thing might be not letting off the accelerator pedal when you shift. Oh well I am not sure of any of these things but something to think about.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PAULW
... Another thing might be not letting off the accelerator pedal when you shift. ...
I found all the above true also, shift up but the engine revs and then shifts on it's own seconds after I shifted. What I do now is treat it like a manual, foot comes off the accelerator when I shift. It shifts smoothly and when I want. In fact, I took a friend for a ride and he commented on how he didn't notice when the car shifted at all.

Sennaspirit, I too noticed the downshift to 2nd when I wanted 3rd. The autoshift is quite touchy ... It does take a tad more effort downshifting than it does upshifting. I barely tap the stick to the right and it's in the upper gear. As to down ... it takes a bit more to the left to get it to downshift. It was a learning curve on the autostick, but I've come to like being in control (as much as the computer lets me believe I'm in control, OR as much as my wife lets me believe I'm in control, same difference ).

adoni

Old 10-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: A/T autostick shifting question

Originally Posted by adoni
I found all the above true also, shift up but the engine revs and then shifts on it's own seconds after I shifted. What I do now is treat it like a manual, foot comes off the accelerator when I shift. It shifts smoothly and when I want. In fact, I took a friend for a ride and he commented on how he didn't notice when the car shifted at all.

Sennaspirit, I too noticed the downshift to 2nd when I wanted 3rd. The autoshift is quite touchy ... It does take a tad more effort downshifting than it does upshifting. I barely tap the stick to the right and it's in the upper gear. As to down ... it takes a bit more to the left to get it to downshift. It was a learning curve on the autostick, but I've come to like being in control (as much as the computer lets me believe I'm in control, OR as much as my wife lets me believe I'm in control, same difference ).
adoni
I had this same problem...and it was caused by spring bounce when shifting by tapping the shifter. I was told to hold the auto shifter and move to shift gears...but do not tap it to the side. When I do this...it always shifts smoothly to the next gear...and does not jump to gears.

Try it!! Member STRYFOX set me straight on this. He knows his Crossfire!