Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

to keep the xf or let it go ?

Old 10-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default to keep the xf or let it go ?

ok, i have a bit of a strange situation... i got my xf a few months ago and used to drive it every day but i soon became increasingly more worried about it being out in the real world so i started parking it in our garage so it is blocked by another car i have to move to get it out... i guess partially due to this annoyance i purchased a '99 neon rt as a putt around car (just like i used to have when i was 18 woot)... recently a friend suffered a accident that put his car out service when the suspension came apart rather badly on the highway (the car is in crap shape ... he's not much of a car guy) so i gave him my '99 rt and took the broken '95 coupe partially in hopes that his life is not affected and partially since the '95 was a project car we had worked on for a long time and i did not want to see it get scrapped ...

i got the '95 road worthy but dam do i hate it, its just a bucket ... but i do not want to use the xf every day cause it will be damaged ... although i have snow tires ready for it so not due to it being a rwd car in jersey winters... just daily use type of damage like dings and scratches...

i have a option to give up the xf and take my brothers srt-4 (with no payments, i owe 7k on the xf) and then i can sell the 95 and have a daily driver that is not a bucket but i do not have to worry about like i do with the xf...

so really ... what i am asking ... would you give up a xf at the age of 23 knowing you worked your *** off for it and generated money out of thin air (i fixed and sold cars for major profit) to afford it ... or would you say forget about it and just go drive your nice car ?

the only disadvantage to driving the xf daily is i get stared at strangely by my uppers where i work ... i mean most of them i am sure think my parents bought it or something as they have no idea i pay for my own college tuition and car... this may be putting a damper on how well i can relate to them.

i would be interested to hear, especially from the older members, on how they would deal with such a situation (no offense meant to the younger members, but ya'll are probably as confused about this situation as i am).

Old 10-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: to keep the xf or let it go ?

Keep it and enjoy it. That is why you bought it.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my deal Brother...
my Crossfire sits in the garage... like all the time (one year old and 5,200 miles as of last month)... the dealership has trashed my Crossfire, but it is still a very nice ride... anyway I do not dress up while I'm out riding around, or going to someplace to impress. I dress down, and I mean sometimes I'll go by the barber shop and get all my hair cut off (like a skinhead at 55), but it don't seem to matter how I look because people take a glance at my Crossfire and automatically place me in the successful category. So as for your uppers... They cannot figure out where your money is coming from, unless you act like a person with a sliver spoon in your mouth... and for the dinks, and glass chips... Well if you do not drive it people do not know you got it.

Did you buy your Crossfire for hiding or driving? I got my Crossfire for hiding, but these days I seem to be driving, and you know what? It’s a lot more fun then hiding.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Forum Regular

drive it in the summer store it for the winter or move to where it does not snow.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Forum Regular

I've got mine a year and a half and have 3,800 miles on it. I get pleasure from seeing it every day in the garage as I go by it to leave my house and every day I hear there will be no rain or precip I try to drive it. It is MY treat for ME just as yours is. If you are busting your chops to work and pay for it at the age of 23 who gives an ***t what anyone thinks about how you got it. Thats a terrific accomplishment at such a young age. Most of us are in our 40's and 50's and are thrilled that we've gotten to a place in our lives to treat ourselves to such a luxury as a car that can sit around as a weekend treat. If you've been able to get there at 23 you can be very proud. When I have people question my having such a beautiful car and not using it every day rain or shine and saving it for a sunny day I tell them people spend far more for works of art that hang on a living room wall for people to occasionally see. I see my work of art every morning when I leave the house and come home each afternoon. Knowing that I don't have to constantly be cleaning it also gives me great pleasure. So if you can afford it without sacrificing your education or something more important than I say drive the beater and keep the XF in the garage for those nicer days as a treat for what you've accomplished. Screw what your older coworkers think, you know the truth.

Last edited by buggy4crossfires; 10-07-2006 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Forum Regular

Keep it. Enjoy it.

I promise you this... If you let it go, you will look back with regret. Trust me.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:14 PM

get a faster car and you won't miss it much.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:32 PM

I wouldn't give up your Xfi. It is high maintenance (as I've learned the hard way), but like a good girlfriend it is worth it. The Xfi is my sole vehicle which means there will be times I can't drive it in the winter. I'm blessed to have a subway a few blocks from my home and across the street from my office, so granted this is all said through that lens. If I were you I'd blow off what others think - I get some similar reactions when seen in the Xfi b/c I'm 32 but look younger. Some of the largest endowments to charitable institutions are willed by working folks who saved, saved, saved - miracle of compound interest and all that. Let the others just think you're smarter with money than they are. Good luck, I hope you keep it.

Last edited by crossfireGal; 10-08-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by x'ed
get a faster car and you won't miss it much.
What he said.

I still have the XF. But I bought a SRT-4 awhile back.

Once I got the SRT-4 the crossfire never got driven. Just sits. I do take it out on heavy snow days, but that is it. Once and awhile one

The SRT-4 was alot more fun to drive. I am the same age as you.

Take the SRT-4 with no payments. Save up $3,600 dollars. And buy stage 3R. And go run 11's @ 118 ish. And the best part it will drive like stock, with less traction.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Forum Regular

hehe i had a srt-4 already ... it was the slower car i owned ... had a '98 rt with a custom turbo kit i built for it. super 60 t3, front mount. 2.5 straight through ... was quick enough for anything up to a stage 2 srt could dish ... on the srt we have stage 2 + 3 inch exhaust (thermal, with muffler, hate loud cars), hard pipes, larger front mount, with all that it was finally faster than my rt ... but my '95 beater is another story, 2.4 swap with srt turbo..

i am glad to hear majority of you would keep it in such a situation ... it adds to what i have been feeling ...

Old 10-08-2006, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by intenseblu
hehe i had a srt-4 already ... it was the slower car i owned ... had a '98 rt with a custom turbo kit i built for it. super 60 t3, front mount. 2.5 straight through ... was quick enough for anything up to a stage 2 srt could dish ... on the srt we have stage 2 + 3 inch exhaust (thermal, with muffler, hate loud cars), hard pipes, larger front mount, with all that it was finally faster than my rt ... but my '95 beater is another story, 2.4 swap with srt turbo..

i am glad to hear majority of you would keep it in such a situation ... it adds to what i have been feeling ...
Just food for thought, I didn't look at each poster, but the one that said keep it are old or women. That is who should have the car.

You can be slow while you are old. Get something fast while you are young. Hell have both with the SRT-6. Trade your bro. Trade the SRT-4 in on a SRT-6.
I have now seen 4 SRT-6's in the mid 20's now. One has 2,200 miles on it!

Old 10-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Forum Regular

now stop it bullseye you are tapping into my secret wants and wishes there. lol. i am so itching to do that actually !