Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

New Crossfire owner question

Old 10-07-2006, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Crossfire owner question

Hi all, great forum, have been doing a lot of searching/reading...

I am buying a 2004 Coupe automatic (number 000867, which means it is pretty early I just learned here on the forum).

Buying it from a buddy who just had a baby.

There is LOTS of info here, and I'm not sure where to start! For example, is there a new owner section here, or "read before you post a question that's been asked 100 times" link?

Or your personal favorite "must do" tip, fix or upgrade?

Thanks in advance for anything I learn here...

Old 10-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: New Crossfire owner question

Originally Posted by nyazai
Or your personal favorite "must do" tip, fix or upgrade?
congrats & welcome.

the first mod i would recommend, would be... rotex dust-free brake pads...

second... hid headlamps.

a "search" in the upper tool bar will answer nearly every newbie question.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by andrew
a "search" in the upper tool bar will answer nearly every newbie question.
Although I agree searching will "eventually" lead to the question/answer your looking for, the search feature is by no means google. I've used multiple search features on forums and they are not too friendly.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

One thing I would highly recommend is the front speaker capacitors mod in the audio section. However check with your friend, being that's its an early 2004, he may already have been done.
Good luck with your new car...

Old 10-07-2006, 11:20 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the tips!

I intend to do the stereo mod after reading about it, I did notice the stereo was not as good as the one in my other car. Sounds very bright, and heavy in the mid-bass. I did learn by accident that pressing the OPT button for a few seconds makes it sound MUCH better, activates "linear" mode??? Not sure what that means...

It helps to know what keywords to search for, since there are thousands of pages and topics here!

As for the headlamps, looks like they are projector type (though really cloudy covers!) - I may try some Silverstar bulbs, or some european ones first to see if there is any difference - made a difference on my MDX.

Thanks all, looking forward to enjoying this car, and contributing as much as I learn here!

Old 10-08-2006, 11:12 AM

I intend to do the stereo mod after reading about it, I did notice the stereo was not as good as the one in my other car. Sounds very bright, and heavy in the mid-bass. I did learn by accident that pressing the OPT button for a few seconds makes it sound MUCH better, activates "linear" mode??? Not sure what that means...
Linear mode will reset your audio settings to 0. Holding the OPT button in FM mode will only reset the FM audio settings and will not affect CD audio settings and vice-versa for CD mode.
This is the first radio I have encountered with this feature...

Old 10-09-2006, 09:36 PM

Thanks JM, that makes sense. I thought I already had it set to 0, but maybe not for CD mode (I adjusted it in FM mode, so it must have EQ settings for each source...) So "linear" is german for "flat" then?

I will put the caps on the front speakers, and then roll off the treble - should be fine. Actually, I listen to music far less in this car, seems to intrude on the driving experience too much!

I am at 34,000 miles and change, so I need to take it to the dealer and get some warranty work done pronto (radio head unit with dim display, fogged headlamp glass) - is there anything else I should check on at the same time?

Also, I am going to do the SpeedBooster after reading all the positive comments about it, is there a US source for that yet?

Thanks!

Old 10-09-2006, 09:42 PM

Yeah, you should make sure that the service campaign on the cooling fan has been done...

Old 10-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the welcome and the tips!

As for the headlamps, looks like they are projector type (though really cloudy covers!) - I may try some Silverstar bulbs, or some european ones first to see if there is any difference - made a difference on my MDX.

Thanks all, looking forward to enjoying this car, and contributing as much as I learn here!
You need to try polishing the outside of the headlamps first.
I use 3m perfect it II compound.
Many have used the silverstar bulbs but have not reviewed them well.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nyazai congratulation and welcome to the forum. Don't be surprised if the dealer doesn't cover the headlight replacement under warranty. I have notice that some of the members were unable to get their dealer to replace them. However, you can get rid of the haze with 3m perfect it II compound as stryfox suggested or any of the other plastic polishes. You definitely want to get the radio changed out to the dark lettering on the light background and you may want to have your weather stripping replaced. The weather stripping in some of the 04's lost their pliability and caused the windows to squeal when opening or closing.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:12 PM

Great advice, thanks guys! Way to welcome a newbie! I will try to polish the lenses first, did not know that was possible.

I did a check for my VIN, and it said there were no outstanding or incomplete recalls, but I will check with my buddy to see if he had the cooling fan fixed.

James.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:43 PM

I did a check for my VIN, and it said there were no outstanding or incomplete recalls, but I will check with my buddy to see if he had the cooling fan fixed. James.
FYI, not every XF needed every "recall," so it is quite possible that you may not need the fan fix even if your buddy didn't do it. The VIN check through the Chrysler page should be authoritative on that point.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:02 AM
Forum Regular

nyazai I may be wrong but I didn't think the 04's had the fan issue only some of the 05's.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:13 AM
Forum Regular

nyazai you may want to check this link out regarding haze on the headlights. Click Here