Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Oil level madness

Old 10-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil level madness

I'm new to this place, so bear with me if I don't have the forum etiquette down yet. Can someone help me? Why does my Chrysler dealership insist on adding 8.5 quarts of oil to my '04 Chrysler Crossfire when the manual says 6.1 quarts? At 8.5, the electronic dashboard oil level indicator reads "HI", and the dipstick is wet all the way to the top. When I asked them about this and showed them the manual, they contacted Chrysler and was told that 8.5 is correct. When I later contacted Chrysler, they said that I should ignore the manual, it takes 8.5 quarts. I asked Chrysler what needs to be done to recalibrate the electronic dash oil level indicator so it will read “OK” at 8.5, and not read “HI” at 8.5, and asked them how do I obtain a dipstick that is recalibrated so that I can accurately check my oil level, since it was apparently designed so that 6.1 would be the proper fill level, consistent with the Chrysler car manual. Chrysler tells me to take this up with the dealer. Alldata.com shows the Crossfire as taking 6.1 including filter; Car & driver.com shows the car as taking 8.5. What gives? Am I the only one with this problem? Am I driving the car with 2.5 quarts too much oil?

Old 10-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Oil level madness

The book is wrong.
8.5 is the correct amount for a dry engine.
BUT! if you drain it and replace the filter you only need to put in 8 qt. when changing it.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:29 PM

It is a weird thing, but Stryfox is correct. When I first got my XF, I took it for the first two oil changes to the dealer. Both times they overfilled it. After that second time around, I bought a TopSider oil pump and pumped out ALL of the oil, measured it and it's EXACTLY 8 quarts. Since then I've done four oil changes myself, 8 quarts each time, and it's perfect...go figure.

BTW - You can get the good fleece filters on e-bay for $15 each (including tax and shipping). With the TopSider, you don't even have to get under the car. It takes about 15 minutes to do oil and filter yourself, and costs about $55 to $60, vs. the $120 the dealer charges to overfill your oil!

Old 10-11-2006, 03:04 AM
Forum Regular

I agree, do it yourself. It's easy and you know it's done with the correct oil and filter. I only put 8 qt's of oil in and it shows full. Just put a floor jack on the drivers side, raise it up enough to slide under and remove 2 bolts (near front) to drop the bottom cover and then remove the drain plug on the pass. side of the oil pan.
Be sure to use a fleece oil filter not the paper ones. Some of the dealerships still have the paper ones in stock and will try to sell you that one. BTW Walmart has the best price on Mobile oil unless you find it on sale someplace.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:48 PM

8 and not a drop more. my 2 cents.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alipsa
the manual says 6.1 quarts?
Your manual is wrong.

The manual that came with my '04, the page that shows fluid capacities is obviously "pasted" in. It says 8.5 qts. I peeled it back, and the page underneath says 6.1 qts.

That said, most people find that only 8 is required to get proper readings from both the electronic and manual dipsticks. Read the other oil level threads on the forum here.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:30 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I think I'll try 8 quarts with the next oil change and see if the dipstick and dashboard oil level indicator shows correct amount.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since we're on the subject, anyone have recommendations pro/con for Topsider systems? I'm at 7K miles not and it won't be long before I have to do my first change, just wanted to know if there were recommended brands and those to stay away from.

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sennaspirit
Since we're on the subject, anyone have recommendations pro/con for Topsider systems? I'm at 7K miles not and it won't be long before I have to do my first change, just wanted to know if there were recommended brands and those to stay away from.

Thanks!
The consensus in the oil threads seems very positive. And it's much simpler than unbolting the guard to get at the oil drain plug. The people that have done comparisons couldn't find a measurable difference in amount of oil removed between a topsider vs. drain plug.

There are old posts with brands mentioned.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sennaspirit

Thanks!
The TopSider is the only way to go...no question. It only take a minute or two to get it going and then about another five or ten minutes to suck out all the oil. Just warm the engine for about five minutes before starting. While the oil is being vacuumed out, you have just enough time to change the filer. Easiest oil change I've ever done!

Old 10-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you just don't want to DIY check out your local MB dealer. I find their price here in line and they usually know what they are doing.