Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crossfire-4...GTO-0

Old 10-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Crossfire-4...GTO-0

I just got back from my nieces wedding. After the ceremony, a formal reception was held in a hall near the church, and a more casual reception was held later at the newly weds home in the country. There were about 40 or 50 people there, and a couple of dozen cars parked all over the place.
When I got there, I parked in the front yard along with about 7 other cars, and a GTO (which I parked closest to).
During the rest of the afternoon and evening (while sitting in their living room) I noticed 4 different people walk up to my white Crossfire and spend a minute or two just checking it out. Not one person even glanced at the bright red on red Goat.
Now I know the GTO has a Corvette engine, I know its V8 sounds alot more sinister than my V6, and I know it would kill my Crossfire at the drags with out even trying. But I doubt if it could stay with me in the twisties, and it certainly can't hold a candle to the Crossfire in a head turning contest. As a matter fact, it's practically invisible.
Several people asked me about my car through out the evening, and a couple of times the GTO's owner over heard people talking to me about it.
I didn't see anybody even speak to him other than his wife.
As I was leaving I had to walk past him on the way out, and I said to him, "Nice Goat". He just looked at me and nodded his head in a rather "bothered" fashion.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire-4...GTO-0

...strange car, had one in front of me last weekend while coming back from the Ocean City Cruise. I pulled up behind him at a light in a little country crossroad and he chirped it off the line, slowed down so I could catch up with him and then did it again from at about 30 mph. Nice engine, but a totally forgettable looking car. I honestly think it's a shame, they could've done a little nicer job with a car that apparently has some nice grunt!

Old 10-15-2006, 06:30 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sennaspirit
a car that apparently has some nice grunt!
400 Hp & 400 Lb/Ft of torque. Just a little bit of grunt!

Old 10-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to car mags, they will bring it back around '09 - '10 model year. Pontiac's version of Camaro. The article said it will not be a firebird but a GTO. The design is reminds me of '68 - '69 models. Here is a pic.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
09GTO.jpg (257.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 10-15-2006, 02:13 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by porterhouse
According to car mags, they will bring it back around 09-10 model year. Pontiac's version of Camero. The article said it will not be a firebird but a GTO. The design is reminds me of 68-69 models. Here is a pic.
Nice sheetmetal!!! Any idea of $$$ ???

Old 10-15-2006, 08:44 PM

A friend has a GTO and it's powerful but boring. People love or hate the Crossfire but it really stands out. The GTO seems like an old family sedan. Of the GM cars, only the Vette, Solstice and Sky warrant a look.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:05 AM

a sedan, except the fact that it has 2 doors. its a very good handling car with a basic suspension mod, and dominating the d1 drifting series a while back here in the states and still performs very well. but its definitely not as sexy as a crossfire. people hate on f-body and gto handling so much, but there is a huge aftermarket for suspensions for these cars and for about $1,500 they could easily out handle a crossfire with an aftermarket suspension that cost about the same.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:00 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

X'ed, back in the day when 2 dr."hard top" GTO's roamed the earth, the definition of a "sedan" was, "any car that had a hard top, a back seat, and a fixed "B-pillar" that didn't disappear when the side windows were rolled down.Using that definition, the current GTO would still be considered a sedan even though it has only 2 doors.
As for my comment about the handling. I was speaking about a "stock" car off the showroom floor. You can make any car do practically anything if you throw enough money at it, or as I've always said, "You can go as fast as you want to spend". But the only thing that proves is that you have deeper pockets than your competition. Anything else would qualify as being modified, thus not a fair comparison.

Road and Track Magazine Oct '05 issue test results of "stock" production vehicles.

Crossfire Limited Coupe --- Skidpad, g = 0.89 --- Slalom, mph = 69.6

GTO --- Skidpad, g = 0.84 --- Slalom, mph = 64.1

The "Aussie" GTO is still a great handling, fast car. I was just pointing out my observations of how people reacted to the two cars when parked in close proximity to each other.