Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Roof rack available for the Crossfire?

Old 10-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof rack available for the Crossfire?

I am in the market for a new car, and have loved the looks of the Crossfire for some time. So it’s presently on my short list. My current daily driver is an Audi TT, which has been an absolutely nightmare since I bought the car new in 2001. The car looks great and handles superbly, but I have had nothing but problems with the car and have been more than turned off with Audi’s dealership service (or lack thereof). I can’t take it anymore.

Anyway, I’m not here to air my dirty laundry, but to ask if the Crossfire has any options available for a roof rack. I am an avid biker and the ability to transport a bike is a must. Two of the features I love about the TT are the factory roof bars and ample cargo space, allowing me to carry my bike(s) and gear.

I did a search and found a few posts from a couple of years ago inquiring about roof racks, but nothing positive. Has anyone developed anything to carry bicycles?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Roof rack available for the Crossfire?

The last I heard there is no roof rack available. Someone may have found one though, if so I'm sure they will let you know. Good luck.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by marauderroy
The last I heard there is no roof rack available. Someone may have found one though, if so I'm sure they will let you know. Good luck.
I've not seen a roof rack but I have used a strap-on bike rack that attaches to the hatch and bumper. Our rack held two bikes.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:25 PM

No hitch mounts either. One of these days, I'm going to check for a mounting location and maybe make one myself. Either that, or you can buy a new bike! Dahon and Montague make full size folding bikes that will fit in the back of the Crossfire Coupe. From what I have read, they are supposed to be pretty good. The military uses some of the Montague bikes for paratroopers. I plan to pick one up in the spring (when good riding weather returns here) if don't find a hitch solution.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

No roof rack that I have seen but if you want it bad enough you can always make/modify one.
If good service is a must for you spend some real time talking to Chrysler dealers in your are first as many dealers don't know much about the car and how to service it.
This is not to deter you just to give you a heads up...
Best of luck.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by stryfox
No roof rack that I have seen but if you want it bad enough you can always make/modify one.
If good service is a must for you spend some real time talking to Chrysler dealers in your are first as many dealers don't know much about the car and how to service it.
This is not to deter you just to give you a heads up...
Best of luck.
Thanks for the heads-up. I am just completely fed-up with Audi dealers' nincompoopedness and the "deer in the headlights" response whenever asked a technical question about the car. Most do not know how to service the TT and often damage other parts of the vehicle in the process. That has been my experience with multiple dealerships too.

Whatever dealers I visit, I'll be sure to talk to the service department manager as well! That lesson has been learned.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 AM

Universal License Plate Mount Bicycle Carrier

Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stealthammer
nice job bringing back a 4yr old thread. the product in the link looks feasible, but looks like it may create some unwanted weighting on the rear, in addition to the severe lack of mounting point for the strap.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Forum member "drivethruecp" has a roof rack to carry his kayak.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ak-roof-2.html

Should work for a bike as well.

I wonder what "Spartan" wound up buying since he was fed up with his Audi TT, and 4 years ago nobody knew about the roof rack for the Crossfire. He hasn't been back on since.

Last edited by +fireamx; 08-30-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:37 PM

I actually still own and drive the TT! Believe it or not, it has 180K miles on the clock and the last 80K have been the most reliable. Gets the same gas mileage it always has and consumes no oil whatsoever. Maybe I worked my way through all the bugs and problems. I learned to avoid the dealers at all cost. I moved up to Wisconsin where AWD is huge, and the TT, with a set of dedicated winter wheels and tires, performs beautifully in the snow. So as long as it keeps running fine, I'll keep driving it. It is paid for, and with 180K it isn't really depreciating anymore so why not.

Plus I have the OEM roof rack, and am able to fit two kayaks and two bikes up there (strategically arranged), among anything I pick up at Home Depot that won't fit inside.

Always like the Crossfire though, and if the roof rack problem had been solved when I was toying with the idea of dumping the Audi, I might have bitten.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw this in Hermitage, Tennessee one day. If I was in my crossfire I probably would've tracked the owner down.
image.jpg

Old 09-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthammer
I've had many bike carriers. That thing will be unsturdy in turns. Better use lots of towels for paint protection because the bikes are going to leave LOTS of scratches in the trunk.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Spartan
I actually still own and drive the TT! Believe it or not, it has 180K miles on the clock and the last 80K have been the most reliable. Gets the same gas mileage it always has and consumes no oil whatsoever. Maybe I worked my way through all the bugs and problems. I learned to avoid the dealers at all cost. I moved up to Wisconsin where AWD is huge, and the TT, with a set of dedicated winter wheels and tires, performs beautifully in the snow. So as long as it keeps running fine, I'll keep driving it. It is paid for, and with 180K it isn't really depreciating anymore so why not.
Plus I have the OEM roof rack, and am able to fit two kayaks and two bikes up there (strategically arranged), among anything I pick up at Home Depot that won't fit inside.
Always like the Crossfire though, and if the roof rack problem had been solved when I was toying with the idea of dumping the Audi, I might have bitten.
Spartan, thanks for checking back in. It's good to hear that the bugs you had with your Audi, finally dissappeared.
Sounds like it my be getting close to the time that you might want to think about buying another car. Crossfires are selling at near give-away prices, so why not treat yourself.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

True, but as the owner of an A4 and A6 in addition to Crossfires, there are always little things going wrong with German cars. Too many bells and whistles and too much built into the ECU. But my A6 2.7T has 176k miles and has been relatively trouble free for the last 100k, even after chipping. I think Spartan worked out all those little bugs after 4 years.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyway, I’m not here to air my dirty laundry, but to ask if the Crossfire has any options available for a roof rack.

Given the design of our roofs with no rain rails etc, I can't even imagine how a roof rack would attach to the roof....which explains why we don't see them....

Old 09-10-2010, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by tonygg

Given the design of our roofs with no rain rails etc, I can't even imagine how a roof rack would attach to the roof....which explains why we don't see them....
I reiterate:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ak-roof-2.html

Old 05-24-2014, 07:25 PM

I use a Bones II bike rack on my roadster with 0 problems. Just make sure you've got something to keep the front wheel from turning while you drive, put something soft over the pedal facing the car, and you're golden.