Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Putting Auto-Stick in REVERSE question...

Old 10-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting Auto-Stick in REVERSE question...

Hello,
I've noticed something when I'm backing into a parking space - I'll pull up, come to a stop, and put the car in reverse. Sometimes, however, it will take a couple seconds for the automatic transmission to shift into reverse. Has anyone else noticed this before?

Old 10-27-2006, 08:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Putting Auto-Stick in REVERSE question...

I have not noticed it. Does it happen when the car is cold? or warmed up?

Old 10-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Only thing I've noticed is that it will not let you move the stick into reverse if you are still moving forward... or vice-versa.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:15 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have not noticed any delays. But, I know this can be possible with some cars when they are cold.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blacklimitedcoupe
Hello,
I've noticed something when I'm backing into a parking space - I'll pull up, come to a stop, and put the car in reverse. Sometimes, however, it will take a couple seconds for the automatic transmission to shift into reverse. Has anyone else noticed this before?
similar issue...

this is what happens to me on occasion... i come to a stop... put the transmission into reverse... and nothing happens. i have to then push the shifter further in order to engage it into reverse. an extra nudge. then all is well.

my car is an auto.

dealer couldn't duplicate... go figure.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:07 PM
FP

Hello,
You might want to check your trans fluid level as well. Sometimes if it's marginally low, this will happen when cold.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:16 PM

Hello,
I test drove an SRT6 recently. It was an '05 with about 20k miles on it. It had been on the lot for a couple of months and almost had a dead battery. I managed to get the XF started but when I put it in reverse nothing happened so I put it in drive and it went into gear. I had to sit for a long time playing with the shifter before it went into reverse. I don't know if it was an adjustment problem or a warm up problem. After I took it for a test drive it seemed to go into reverse without problem.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the information...Andrew - sounds like you have the same issue as I do...next time it does it, i'll try pushing the shifter a little bit forward to see if it cures it. I might swing by the MB dealer when I get a chance and see if they've heard of it. We all know DC wouldn't understand what i'm talking about...

Old 10-28-2006, 01:23 AM
Forum Regular

In my experiences, autos won't shift right into reverse, especially when rolling. In my truck, I had to give it a little gas for the tranny to shift into reverse quickly. It might be a safety thing so you can't ruin the tranny.

Just my .02.

Old 10-28-2006, 07:35 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FPMartinez
You might want to check your trans fluid level as well. Sometimes if it's marginally low, this will happen when cold.
Really sucks to have to make a trip to the dealership just to check fluid level. Anyone know why they made the Crossfire this way ? Any way to check trans fluid ourselves ?

Old 10-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by marauderroy
Really sucks to have to make a trip to the dealership just to check fluid level. Anyone know why they made the Crossfire this way ? Any way to check trans fluid ourselves ?
My Wife's old '98 Beetle didn't have a dipstick either, it must be a "German" thing. They must be so confident that the tranny is "hermetically sealed" that there simply is no need to check it on a regular basis.
Kind of ironic, when you consider the whole "O" ring fiasco.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:22 AM
FP

Originally Posted by marauderroy
Agree, but if the car is doing this consistently, you should take it in for service, and the dealer should check that the fluid levels are where they should be, and or fix the problem. Where it becomes a pain in the **s, is when it does not happen on a consistent basis.
Don't let it go much longer before you take it in. If anything you have it on record that the car is having this symptom, otherwise you might let them off the hook because you never reported it early enough to fix it. CYA.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It only happened to me once. I was trying to make a quick three point turn, before the on coming traffic leveled me, but it took a scary moment for the reverse to engage. As noted above, perhaps I wasn't fully stopped before I tried to engage reverse. It gave me pause enough that I won't be trying that move again with thinking twice about it.