Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

does anyone have this problem?

Old 11-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question does anyone have this problem?

every time i'm driving, it never fails that i accidentally hit my cup holder, and it pops up stabbing me in the arm. oh, and be careful with styrofoam cups; if you try to force one in that cup holder, the tabs on the holder will pierce the cup. it happened to me at sonic one day.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: does anyone have this problem?

I don't have that problem with mine. However, I noticed that each cupholder has a different "personality." Each one takes a different amount of force to open. I had mine replaced because the original one wasn't functioning properly. With the new one I have now, you have to press it down a lot further to make it open, which prevents it from accidentally opening when my arm rests against it.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Forum Regular
Smile Re: does anyone have this problem?

Gee, Trouble with the cup holder ? I thought everyone loved the way the cupholder was made.
Just kidding, The cupholder is terrible. Mine drives me nuts!

Old 11-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Re: does anyone have this problem?

I recommend replacing it with the storage bin; much more useful. Cost of the bin is about $25 (part # 1BQ12XDVAA) and takes about 20 minutes to replace. I highly recommend it, it is far more useful!

Old 11-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by marauderroy
Gee, Trouble with the cup holder ? I thought everyone loved the way the cupholder was made.
Just kidding, The cupholder is terrible. Mine drives me nuts!
I haven't experienced any problems with mine. I guess I read so many posts swearing about the cup holder before I bought my Roadster that I was prepared to accept its idiosyncrasies.

I have a stainless driving cup with a narrow bottom and it fits beautifully. My first cup was a paper Arby's cup. It lasted until I got home, and then the side tore out. We had humidor's, luggage, apparel,...who's the genius that designed these holders without tossing in the requisite steel cup?

Anyone out there with contacts in the laser engraved stainless travel mug business?

Old 11-06-2006, 11:53 AM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've read a number of complaints in this forum regarding the cup holder on the XF. That's because cup holders are an after thought in Europe. This is an American thing. The only reason European car makers are starting to put them on is because of the demand from the US market. I remember a friend of mine buying a 700 series BMW in the mid 90's. It wasn’t until the next morning after he picked it up that he noticed there was no cup holder to put his coffee cup. So, he contacted the dealer and demanded that a $80K (back then) should have a cup holder, so the dealer gave him one he could hang off his door. A very nice leather covered one I might add. So, you won't find too many european cars with ergonomically placed cup holders.

Last edited by FP; 11-06-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, I believe that cupholders were more of a Japanese thing. My recollection of my family's cars going back to the early 60's is that none of them had cupholders (unless you want to call two round 1/4" deep depressions on the inside of the glove box door cupholders... when the glove box was open, it acted as a tray). It was the Japanese cars that started to infiltrate the American market in the 70's that had things like cupholders, in-dash storage bins, and even coin-holders. The American manufacturers copied those as time went on.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:19 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Good observation Midnight. I was referring to the market demand. We've adopted them so well; we don't want cars without them. They are not common in Europe.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Forum Regular

I'm really thinking about putting in the storage bin to replace the cup holder. I have way too much fun driving my Crossfire to be drinking anything anyway. I just hate it when it pops open on me. Might just glue it down. LOL.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:56 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by marauderroy
I'm really thinking about putting in the storage bin to replace the cup holder. I have way too much fun driving my Crossfire to be drinking anything anyway. I just hate it when it pops open on me. Might just glue it down. LOL.
Go with the storage bin; its perfect for holding your cell phone so you don't scar up your leather seats. Before I had the storage bin I use to hang the phone off the net pocket on passenger's side of the center console, but then I would forget it half the time I got out of the car!

Old 11-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Idaho
Go with the storage bin; its perfect for holding your cell phone so you don't scar up your leather seats. Before I had the storage bin I use to hang the phone off the net pocket on passenger's side of the center console, but then I would forget it half the time I got out of the car!
Been there, done that. Lol. I do the same thing. You have any pics of the bin ?
Anyone have the part number for the bin ? My cars a 2004 I want it to match the rest of the trim.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Forum Regular

marauderroy the part number for the bin is 1BQ12XDVAA and it can be ordered from http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/ for $28 plus shipping. Here is the thread on installing the bin along with a picture that Andrew and a few others provided: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ht=storage+bin. The hardest part of replacing the cup holder is removing the rubber grip on the hand brake lever. I fought it for an hour until I read where adoni applied a little soap water between the lever and the grip, once i did that it slipped right off.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:45 PM

Oh yeah, I hate this problem. You get that oversized drink in there and it cuts the paper cup. Then, your soda seeps all over the indide of the car. Lucky for me it was just water and it never happened again.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Forum Regular

IDAHO

Thanks for the info and links.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:47 PM

Funny, I have not experienced that on my base coupe! Being a coffee drinker, I invested in the "Best Car Cup Holder..." Ok, I have a negative knee-jerk reaction to those statements, but in this case, the thing works really well. I got on eBay at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._promot_widget

I hope the link came through OK. It's cheap and fits compactly against the front of the tunnel on the passenger side. Folds up to minimize space impact. It is quite sturdy.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Forum Regular

Dave I think i had those same ones in my 5th-wheel.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:00 PM

Yeah, it's a great holder. After going for 2 months without a place to put Starbucks, I was overjoyed!