Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Will I fit in a Crossfire?

Old 11-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I fit in a Crossfire?

Hello, first time poster. I've coveted the Crossfire since I saw pictures of the show car on Pebble Beach, but it's always been more of a Champagne item for my beer budget, so I've never had much hope of owning one. But luck is a funny thing.

So I've never seriously looked at one in a dealership, but at 6'6", I wonder if it's even feasible to be on my list of dream cars. My last car was a Pontiac Fiero that no one could believe I could fit in (and with a 270 hp supercharged V6 no one could believe I just blew by them, either) so I like the feeling of having a car that is snug around you.

So any tall Crossfire owners out there?

Old 11-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Will I fit in a Crossfire?

I'm 6'0" and I have about 2-3 inches between me and the roof... I'm not so sure you'd fit in one. If you're interested in one, check around at local Enterprise Rental agencies. I know the locations near me rent them. That's how I fell in love with the car.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Forum Regular

get a mustang gt, if your 6'6" it will not be very comfortable. I'm 6'1" and IMO that is the limit.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Forum Regular

6'2" and my hair brushes the headliner.
Knees almost touch the dash.

With a Mustang you can easily move the seats rearward - I did it on my 1996 GT.

However... if you get a roadster, you have all the headroom in the world!!!

Old 11-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Forum Regular

I'm 6' 1", 230 lbs and have a Roadster. With the top up and the seat as far back as I can put it legroom is no problem, top of the thigh to the steering wheel no problem, headroom no problem. 3 more inches, could be a problem. Definitely drive one for a bit before you get your heart broken.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

6'6" would be a very uncomfortable ride... And you can't re-locate the seat brackets back further because of the cross wall behind the seats.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:58 PM

I'm only 5'8", so no problems for me. But I drove a 6'4" passenger once from San Francisco to San Jose, and it was very uncomfortable ride for both of us.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:00 PM

Stimpy, I'm afraid that you have "out grown" the Crossfire, physically. I'm 6'2" and I think even 6'4" would be pushing the envelope.
As Spensley pointed out, the roadster does indeed have more head room, even with the top up. But I don't know if it's enough to accommodate your height.
Try them both on for size, even the base model. (It has a cloth seat instead of leather, but it probably wouldn't make any difference).
One possible solution may be having the legs of the drivers seat "shortened", but I don't know if it's design lends itself to such a modification or not.
I hate telling anybody to forget about a Crossfire because they're so much fun to own. Sorry.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by +fireamx
One possible solution may be having the legs of the drivers seat "shortened", but I don't know if it's design lends itself to such a modification or not.
Don't think you can do that. I pulled the seat on my pass side to see if I could raise it about an inch to fit an audio amp under it. The floor is molded to fit the seat brackets and there is very little room under the seats.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by marauderroy
Don't think you can do that. I pulled the seat on my pass side to see if I could raise it about an inch to fit an audio amp under it. The floor is molded to fit the seat brackets and there is very little room under the seats.
Thanks for the "heads up" Marauderroy, I've never been down under for a look see of the actual brackets.
I only mentioned it because I thought I was going to have to perform some sort of surgery on the seat of any XF I eventually purchased because I never could get comfortable in any of the Crossfires that I sat in.
It wasn't until I went to pick up my new car and the salesman showed me the "trick" to get the seat down low enough for me to fit.
I hate hearing that someone might have to pass on buying a Crossfire just because they don't fit.
Maybe some type of after market seat would be the answer?

Old 11-07-2006, 12:20 AM
Forum Regular

just cut a hole in the roof and install a clear plastic dome...should give you the needed head room. haha I think one of the biggest limiting factors for the crossfire to some people is the lack of room. Perfect for me but it wouldn't be if i was a tiny bit taller.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:36 AM

My husband is 6'3 and is terribly uncomfortable in my XF...

but I am 5'5 and I LOVE IT!

Old 11-07-2006, 10:09 AM

I'm 6'3" and I only just fit in. I had to come up with a technique for getting my legs in and out... out is hardest... but such a lovely car, I just had to have it! The main problem hampering easy entry/exit is the size of the steering wheel. It's hard to get my knee under it. But that's the price I have to pay to drive one of the best looking cars on the road.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:30 PM

Well, I live in Monterey County where it's always 72 degrees and rains maybe 40 days out of the year, so the roadster is not a bad call around here. I'm concerned if the chassis looses much rigidity when it looses its top, though.

Thanks for all the quick replies, but a Mustang? Ewww. That's pretty low on the lust list. Right up there with Chevy Cobalts and Ford Econoline vans. There's got to be a better choice.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by stimpy
Well, I live in Monterey County where it's always 72 degrees and rains maybe 40 days out of the year, so the roadster is not a bad call around here.
Well Howdy Neighbor...

I live in North Monterey County (Aromas/Prunedale/Royal Oaks area).

The dealership in Watsonville (Marty Franich) has Crossfires fairly regularly in you want to go sit in one. Santa Cruz gets them too (Pacific Coast Interprises).

Old 11-07-2006, 08:47 PM

I am 5'6" and my business partner is 6' 7-1/2" he fit in the passenger side and had no problem, he was surprised by the head room. He would not want to drive over a couple of hours though.