Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

How quiet at idle is your cf?

Old 11-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How quiet at idle is your cf?

I have a black 2004 CF with 7,000 miles that at idle with stereo turned off has a low rolling/trashing noise to it. I quess that is the best way to describe it.
It sounds like either noise from the timing chain or a pulley. I had it checked at the dealer and they said they heard the noise but could not fine a problem.

All help greatly appreciated.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: How quiet at idle is your cf?

Mine makes kind or a growling/thrashing/ticking with the occasional stumble. I believe that's about normal for this engine.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:01 AM

Yup, mine sounds like a diesel.

Its valve train noise. That's it. Normal.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:03 PM

I was wondering about the occasional stumble. Glad that's normal.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thegoalie
I was wondering about the occasional stumble. Glad that's normal.
Stumble ? You mean misfire ? That's not normal !!!

Old 11-08-2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by fggreen
I have a black 2004 CF with 7,000 miles that at idle with stereo turned off has a low rolling/trashing noise to it. I guess that is the best way to describe it.
It sounds like either noise from the timing chain or a pulley. I had it checked at the dealer and they said they heard the noise but could not fine a problem.

All help greatly appreciated.
Mine is totally quit and idles very smoothly.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
I don't know what a misfire sounds/feels like. When I'm stopped at a red light, maybe every 60 seconds the engine sort of... well, stumbles is a good work to describe it. It's very slight, but noticeable. I'm not too worried about it.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Goalie I am with HDDP on this, you shouldn't feel anything when idling. If you are getting some rough idling then there is a whole slew of possible causes from bad gas, dirty injector, fouled plug, etc. If you are not running high quality gas I would recommend switching to a tier one supplier with and octane rating of at least 91 and see if that resolves the problem. I wouldn't hold my breath that better gas will fix the problem but you definitely want to be running good gas when take it in or else that will be the first thing the garage will blame.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:24 PM

I'm not too worried about, I think that what I've described may be interpreted as more severe than I had intended.

By the way, I use BP premium.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne1992
Mine is totally quit and idles very smoothly.
Absolutely still and quite...I'm assuming you're describing the sound you hear while "in" the car...listen to HDDP...it's not normal. I can hear my car idle when i'm not in it, but I'd check it out bud.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Forum Regular

My car is quiet unless I have the top down - then I hear that purring noise from the tail pipe that lets me know I am driving a sports car. (sorry, got lost in the moment of sweet bliss).

Hearing it while in idle is normal? Maybe they need to get their hearing checked out... or better yet, have them listen to one that makes no noise when sitting and turned on.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDDP
I have the misfire & the lifter tick. Before you run to the dealer, they told me ALL Crossfire's make that noise, even though they deny hearing the noise and regardless, it's not covered under warranty.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:17 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtboy
I have the misfire & the lifter tick. Before you run to the dealer, they told me ALL Crossfire's make that noise, even though they deny hearing the noise and regardless, it's not covered under warranty.
Valve / Lifter tick is (unfortunately) normal with the car, misfire is not. I have been told that because of the 12 plugs and the way the car is tuned / timed, - 5 to 10 degrees retarded that it inherently misfires if not tuned properly and FAM is not increased to at least 13.5:1

Old 11-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would describe the sound of my car's engine, when standing near it, to be a low roar. Certainly not quiet, but not loud and with no abnormal sounds.

From within, the car sounds quiet.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:49 PM

We have 53,000 miles on our ltd crossfire, and it makes a rattle when cold, we just completed a 5,500 mile road trip around the south and had the car checked in tampa, the dealer said nothing wrong... however the sound is very reminiscent of lifters/tappets sticking, when we returned our dealer serviced the car and said that the lifters were definitely making too much noise...
We are waiting for the new lifters before taking the car back in, in the meantime the noise is going away - I think that there is either a valve or a oil duct that is getting clogged until the temp or pressure is sufficient to clear it.

We have an SRT with only 5,000 miles and it is currently extremely quiet.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kit and Kat
We have 53,000 miles on our ltd crossfire, and it makes a rattle when cold, we just completed a 5,500 mile road trip around the south and had the car checked in tampa, the dealer said nothing wrong... however the sound is very reminiscent of lifters/tappets sticking, when we returned our dealer serviced the car and said that the lifters were definitely making too much noise...
We are waiting for the new lifters before taking the car back in, in the meantime the noise is going away - I think that there is either a valve or a oil duct that is getting clogged until the temp or pressure is sufficient to clear it.

We have an SRT with only 5,000 miles and it is currently extremely quiet.
Which dealer did you go to in Tampa? We have two good ones and one bad one... just curious... Fitzgeralds, Ferman or Dayton Andrews? If you said the first one, that would not be a shock to me or anyone else that has had their car serviced there.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:07 PM

Hi,

I looked on the report and it was a firm in Dade City, a five star chrysler outfit. To be fair to them, the noise does fade, and it is definitely only on one side... however I keep reading that this is normal for Mercedes engines - well it may be for a diesel, but definitely not for a gas powered one.
My dealer here in Kansas City is very friendly and helpful, and professional, they asked us to call them after the dealer in Dade City had checked the car and made sure we dropped it off for them to check when we returned, they are just waiting to get the parts before they take a look.

We didn't burn any oil at all, and the mileage was still amazingly good at 27.5 mpg average, we were driving about 70-75 most of the time. We did search out 93 octane fuel.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:15 AM

Mine sounds like a diesel too. What gives? Only has 10k miles on it. Also, when leaving from a stop, there is a small little lurch and sometimes a very small hiss or squeak (like a mouse) at the same time. I can only hear it when the windows are down. You can definitely feel the little lurch though. Ideas?

Old 08-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Diesel? Wow, I've never heard it described that way before... If everything is working the day it should, the sound should be more like a sewing machine than a diesel. Every piece of German machinery I have worked on has always had that sewing machine sound when everything was tweaked/tuned properly. If you've every heard a motorcycle with a BMW Type 247 (a.k.a. "Airhead") boxer engine you'll know what I'm talking about.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just some additional information; the sound of electromagnetic injectors can sometimes be mistaken for lifter/valve gear noise, they do make quite a sharp 'click, click, click' sound at idle. You will notice it much more with the with the bonnet up and the engine cover removed when you are working on it.

Quick Reply: How quiet at idle is your cf?