Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Tire Disaster!

Old 11-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tire Disaster!

Well here is goes...I blew a tire about a month ago on the interstate so I had the car flat bedded home and I purchased a new front tire for it. About a week later, I was told that the damaged tire was going to be warranted by Michelin because it was a manufacturers defect. So they sent me another new tire. I wanted to have 2 brand new tires on the front, so I removed the front wheel that still had the original tire on it and took it to the local tire store. I told the manager that I wanted to have the new tire installed on my wheel and that I was going to keep the old tire since it was still nice and had about 7/32 of tread. About 20 minutes later, the mechanic came out and told me the new tire was finished, but that he had ruined the original tire when he dismounted it. He showed me the old tire and he had put about a 12 inch long hole in the sidewall of it. I spoke with the manager and he agreed to order me another new tire to replace the one they ruined. I was happy that they were going to replace it, but the story doesn't end here...

I get home, put the new tire and wheel on the car, lower it down off the lift and I hear "ssshhh." As I inspect the wheel, I can here air leaking out. I put soap suds on the tire and it is leaking badly between the tire and rim in about a 2 inch long area. So I remove the wheel again, bring it back to the tire store, about 20 minutes from my house. The mechanic inspected it and agreed that the tire must have something wrong with it. But he wouldn't dismount it because he said he wasn't experienced and didn't want to ruin this tire too. Being that he was the only mechanic in the shop at 7:30 pm, I agreed to come back the following morning when an experienced mechanic could fix it. I'm afraid he tore the inner rim of the tire when he mounted it. It will probably have to be thrown out and replaced. What concerns me is that it took them a week to order the last tire because nobody stocks it around here, not even Chrysler. Looks like the Crossfire will have to rest in the garage for a few days. What a day!!

Old 11-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Tire Disaster!

That's a bummer. Your experience proves that it is not only the Chrysler dealership that has service mishaps. With all the service issues everyone is encountering it makes you wonder if our Crossfire could be jinxed, bad karma, bad juju, cursed, or whatever. It sure seems like we encounter our share of the most exasperating service encounters for what appears to be normal maintenance issues.

I hope they get you back on the road soon!

Old 11-22-2006, 12:22 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

When you analyze this, you have to agree that at least the shop is not giving you the run-around and they are taking responsibility for their mistakes (silver lining). The issue with our Crossfire's is not that they are jinxed. It's that they are not a high production car, and as such tire sizes and parts are not readily stocked at the distribution centers. I'm sure Ferrari, or other low production car owners go through similar situations, and Camry owners don't. I'm not saying the XF is in the same category as the Ferrari, but I hope this brings the point across. This is the price we pay for having a low production car. It comes with the territory.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:21 PM

I had a set of tires mounted on my rims a couple of weeks ago at an NTB. When they finished they had put the 19' rims on the front and the 18's on the back...and didn't notice! I'm just glad they put the correct tires on the correct rims first time around!

Old 11-22-2006, 03:29 PM

I think I'm in for it! I'm going to have new tires put on my CF Monday. One of the Goodyear tire centers is going to do the work, I can only hope that they do it right.

Baby's gonna get a new pair of shoes.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:17 PM

A suggestion, before you have anyone install your tires. Check on the Tire Rack for one of their recommended installers, they include comments from customers about the service, and the facility. I found three within 10-15 minutes of my home, one with outstanding comments from previous customers, and they gave Tire Rack customers discounts. They have the experience and the equipment to remove and replace the low profile tires, so it may save you some heartburn.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:28 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra953
A suggestion, before you have anyone install your tires. Check on the Tire Rack for one of their recommended installers, they include comments from customers about the service, and the facility. I found three within 10-15 minutes of my home, one with outstanding comments from previous customers, and they gave Tire Rack customers discounts. They have the experience and the equipment to remove and replace the low profile tires, so it may save you some heartburn.
Excellent idea. I've always used the shops recommended by them.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I hope I can find a descent shop when I go for new tires, my biggest fear is that they will scratch and screw up the rims.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. Even though I'm purchasing the tires locally, at TireRack prices, I don't have to let the Goodyear Service Center install them. I'll check the TireRack site for recommendations.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a new set of tires put on my car a little over a year ago. The work
was done by the service department where I bought the car, though I
had purchased the tires from Tire Rack. When I went to pick up the car,
I inspected the tires and found that there were 3 gouges in the right rear
rim. Each gouge was about an inch wide and 1/8th of an inch deep.

The service manager sent the rim off to a repair shop, though I was
pushing for a replacement. When I got the rim back, it looked nearly OK,
but I was not quite happy, though I did accept the repair (just didn't want
to fight any more, I guess).

Anyway, a month our two later, I had the car in for regular service, and the
service manager had his buy put a wash job on the car before returning it.
However, the idiot child they had doing the clean up decided that my tires
needed some of that tire black stuff applied (I never use this crap). The
idiot child, instead of wiping the crap on the tires with a rag, just happily
sprayed away, seriously discoloring the repaired areas. Foolishly, I did not
notice this until a couple of days later when I was washing the car myself.
Took it back to the shop, and they claimed I must have put this crap on
my tires, and would not take responsibility.

So, now I've got a rim that looks like crap, and there seems to be nothing
I can do about it. Other than shell out a couple hundred bucks to buy a
new rim.

Didn't even get kissed!

Coyote.