Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

I finally got a ticket :(

Old 11-26-2006, 01:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I finally got a ticket :(

well... it finally happened to me. I got a ticket for speeding. 10 over.

Was on my way home from work (late at night) and I just wanted to get home and go to sleep. Was going 55 in a 45 zone, I was in a "pack" of cars all going the same speed. Stopped at a light with all of them then all of the sudden I see lights flashing behind me.

This really sucks.

Paying the ticket I could handle, just telling my parents, and raising the insurance I can't. They told me if I ever got a ticket they'd take my car away...

Anyone have any advice on how I should tell my parents? They're in vegas and won't be home till monday so I have some time.

Old 11-26-2006, 01:31 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I finally got a ticket :(

I think you need to come to them with humility and a sense of remorse. My 20 year old has had two speeding tickets. Both were "not fun" financially for him. The first ticket he was able to get reduced and wiped off his record if he kept his driving record clean. He paid a fine but did go to traffic court. You can try that and if it's your first, chances are the judge will fine you but you might be able to get it off your driving record and you will save $$ on insurance.

My advice for you is to slow down and keep your driving record clean. It will pay off in the long run. Good luck. Your parents will likely be upset and they may restrict your driving privileges and if they do that, then go along with it and show them you're willing to pay the consequences of getting the ticket. Chances are they'll lighten up once they have to drive you around!

Old 11-26-2006, 02:09 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Be honest with your parents.
Then fight the ticket, you cam probably get it down to 5 mph over and just pay a fine with no points.
Good luck.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:20 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you got targeted for the car you drive ... nice ...

been there, done that ! srt-4 ... 55 in a 35 as i was being passed by traffic moving at 60 around me ... mmm yea.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:27 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your Toast. You will definitely want to do exactly as golfergal said. Also don't just pay the ticket go to court and go in front of the judge. When you go dress sharp but not trendy, be well groomed and have your air cut, and remove any exposed body piercings. When you stand up before the judge make and keep eye contact, be respectful and most importantly be remorseful. Don't make excuses for speeding tell the judge you made a mistake and was not watching your speed. Judges see hundreds of sloppy dressed, disrespectful teens and adults daily many of them with attitudes so it can work in your favor to come across as Beaver Cleaver (old show I think in the 50's or 60's before my time). This as worked for me on two occasions once a reduce ticket and one time just a stern lecture plus court fees.

Be thankful it was only 10 mph, some of mine have been in excess of twice the posted speed. A note for future reference: if you know your busted and there is place to pull in next to the cop safely do so. They seem more willing to give you a warning or reduce the recorded speed so your below the 10 mph limit. Also, yes sir/mam and no sir/mam doesn't hurt either.

Good Luck, let us know how it turns out.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:31 AM
Forum Regular

Words of wisdom
* Be honest with the folks.
* If you are not paying for your own insurance,
offer to pay difference if rate increases.
Can you go to traffic school. In AZ, you can go to a
4 hour class. It will cost you $135.00, but the ticket
will not show up on any record nor insurance.
Wife and son just completed.
* Research traffic laws, is driving slower than
traffic around you considered dangerous.

Plus, I can't believe you got a ticket for only 10 over.
We have photo radar on the highway in Scottsdale.
You know it's there. They will not ticket unless you are
13 or 14 over limit...
Good luck!!!

Old 11-26-2006, 12:44 PM

I've been in law enforcement for many years. There has been a lot of good advice given to you by the members of the forum. First you must tell your parents. You were only doing 10 miles over the limit. I'm surprised that you were not just given a warning to begin with. With the computers in the Cruisers these days, the Officer probably knew your driving record when you were issued the citation. If you handle yourself properly and dress respectfully of the court, you can plead no contest and request that the judge "withhold adjudication" since you have a clean driving record. This would mean only the fine would need to be paid, no points. I can't speak for all judges, but most that I have seen in my career would probably withhold under those circumstances. Good Luck!

Old 11-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Forum Regular

Welcome to the club, you get a new badge to sew on your vest!

Just out of curiosity, what color is your car?

Old 11-26-2006, 03:11 PM

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'll certainly tell you guys what ends up happening and how long I don't get to have my car for.

Dynamics, my car is an Aero Blue Coupe (In my Gallery).

Old 11-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nox1s
Thank you everyone for the advice. I'll certainly tell you guys what ends up happening and how long I don't get to have my car for.

Dynamics, my car is an Aero Blue Coupe (In my Gallery).
yeah the Aero blue is a nice color and its an eye catcher.
Being 17 years old and driving such a cool car as the XF, your not making any bonus points with a jealous cop. It now makes sense why he pulled you over for going 10 mph over the limit, he's just bustin *****. Lol.

If you want to be low key and not grab attention, I tend to favor earth tone colors like browns, and greens. I tend to avoid bright colors like yellow, red, and WRX blue. I'm not sure about white and black police never seem to look for these shades. Just an observation.

Last edited by dynamicS; 11-26-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nox1s
Anyone have any advice on how I should tell my parents? They're in vegas and won't be home till monday so I have some time.
Yikes... They surely won't be in the mood to hear about money issues when they return from Vegas... Run away from home and say you were kidnapped by the Taliban !!!

Old 11-26-2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by dynamicS
yeah the Aero blue is a nice color and its an eye catcher.
Being 17 years old and driving such a cool car as the XF, your not making any bonus points with a jealous cop. It now makes sense why he pulled you over for going 10 mph over the limit, he's just bustin *****. Lol.

If you want to be low key and not grab attention, I tend to favor earth tone colors like browns, and greens. I tend to avoid bright colors like yellow, red, and WRX blue. I'm not sure about white and black police never seem to look for these shades. Just an observation.
We got my car used at the DCX employee lot. My dad works for Chrysler, so that's all we can drive.

But my car was one of the cars they give the "special employees" ... you know. Use it for a few months and then turn it in to get a new car. It was the only automatic (this is my first car and I don't know how to drive a stick) that wasn't a convertible (those were to expensive for us, and in michigan I didn't really want one).

Old 11-26-2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
Yikes... They surely won't be in the mood to hear about money issues when they return from Vegas... Run away from home and say you were kidnapped by the Taliban !!!
Getting close...!!!

Old 11-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always bear in mind that the END OF THE MONTH is approaching. No policing is evident but more money making! Robbers should take advantage of this!

And when cops are under pressure that's when sh*t happens!

I don't use my XFIREX for long driving at the end of the month...cops will always make a U-turn and follow my RED BLAZE XFIREX!

Best time to drive XFIREX is on Mondays and Tuesdays. Those are lazy cop days!

My advice: Get a defensive driving class and a free buffet!

Old 11-26-2006, 07:33 PM

Wow, I learn something new everyday!

Old 11-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Forum Regular

I wouldn't even tell my parents if I was you, just go to court talk to the judge for traffic school and pay the ticket. Problem solved. It won't even show up on your insurance record. Just don't do it again for another 15 months otherwise it will go on the record.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Speaking as the parent of a 20 year old who drives a car that's in my name.
Tell your parents everything. They may be up set with you, they may punish you, but they will respect you for telling the truth.
Stand up and take your licks, this too shall pass.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:30 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dynamicS
I wouldn't even tell my parents if I was you, just go to court talk to the judge for traffic school and pay the ticket. Problem solved. It won't even show up on your insurance record. Just don't do it again for another 15 months otherwise it will go on the record.
DynamicS, that is not good advice. There's something called integrity.
Nox1s, stick to the advice of the others. Honesty will get you trust in the long run.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:22 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FPMartinez
DynamicS, that is not good advice. There's something called integrity.
Nox1s, stick to the advice of the others. Honesty will get you trust in the long run.
No it's not about integrity it's about being smart, if you tell your parent your getting speeding tickets, they will become paranoid and worried that he's out street racing and acting like a knuckle head, most likely they might start thinking about taking the car away from him.

If he takes the driving school there is no record of the offense and neither his parents or insurance company will be on to him. He's already being punished by having to show up early for court and paying the ticket. What more abuse does he deserve.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Reminder, your stats say you are 17. I am sure you are hard working but I know at 17 my nephews could not buy a new car without help... Your parents helped you get where you are, be honest with them. I know If I caught my son lying about it I would be forced to take it away on principal...
Now the delivery is important. Tell them how it happened and don't play the everyone else was doing it card.
Just my .02.

Quick Reply: I finally got a ticket :(