Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Why the weather woes?

Old 12-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the weather woes?

I'm a relative newbie, having my Alabaster White Limited 6 speed for about 5 months. I traded in my '03 Passat (liked that car, but not as much as my '98 Volvo S70), so it is my daily commute car. I put about 100 miles a day over a variety of roads in NW New Jersey and get a solid 25 mpg (and haven't noticed any performance difference between regular or premium).

I read that a lot of people will only drive their CF on clear, sunny days -- no drizzle or rain for them. I know this isn't a snow car, and don't plan to drive when the roads are white, but I've driven it through mist and pouring rain. The thing is very water tight and has handled great in the wet, including country roads slickened with leaves. The traction control seems to do a great job keeping it on the straight and narrow.

So, why the do some people have the apprehension to take the CF out and have a little fun driving when the weather is a challenge? I know it's not an AWD off roader, but it seems to, at least for me, handle most of the elements well. And considering we're talking about a $20k - something sports car, NOT a six-figure Euro exotic, why not let it see the seasons?

Just curious...

Old 12-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Why the weather woes?

I have driven it in Rain. I must say it did very well. Did not slip any.

Snow is a different story. It is a RWD and RWD's do not do well in snow from what i hear. Plus I have the PS2's and not going to install Winter or all season tires on it. So I will not drive it when it snows (risky but possible). I will drive my other car then (I prefer not to call it a beater).

Old 12-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinB1217
I'm a relative newbie, having my Alabaster White Limited 6 speed for about 5 months. I traded in my '03 Passat (liked that car, but not as much as my '98 Volvo S70), so it is my daily commute car. I put about 100 miles a day over a variety of roads in NW New Jersey and get a solid 25 mpg (and haven't noticed any performance difference between regular or premium).

I read that a lot of people will only drive their CF on clear, sunny days -- no drizzle or rain for them. I know this isn't a snow car, and don't plan to drive when the roads are white, but I've driven it through mist and pouring rain. The thing is very water tight and has handled great in the wet, including country roads slickened with leaves. The traction control seems to do a great job keeping it on the straight and narrow.

So, why the do some people have the apprehension to take the CF out and have a little fun driving when the weather is a challenge? I know it's not an AWD off roader, but it seems to, at least for me, handle most of the elements well. And considering we're talking about a $20k - something sports car, NOT a six-figure Euro exotic, why not let it see the seasons?

Just curious...
I agree, just get out and enjoy the car, it can take whatever the weather can throw at it. Like you say, this is not a flimsy hand-built exotic that needs to be pampered. Its built to the same standard as all of MB's 'normal' cars, which you wouldn't think twice about using all year round.

It's also worth remembering that laying a car up for months can sometimes do more harm than good unless done properly. All those seals in the braking, cooling, AC and other systems really need to be exercised to keep them functioning. I also run a couple of 'classics' and bodywork aside, the only time I really have any problems with them is when I have left then standing for any length of time. Running them regularly burns off all the condensation in the engine and exhaust, and keeps all the drive belts and ancillaries moving. Then there's all those little electric motors and associated gears that are scattered around the car to control everything from the seats to the throttle; they really don't like being stuck in one position for months at a time.

I don't have a problem with people who only want to use their Crossfires in the summer months, I just don't think it is as kind to the car as they think. Just my .02

Old 12-04-2006, 02:55 PM

Mine is a daily driver. I am just days away from doing 3 winters with it. I leave it sit where ever it happens to be when the road turns white. I also make sure that I don't venture to far from home if the weather is questionable. It does OK in light snow and sleet but I like to hide it when things get much worse than that.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:11 PM

I can not speak for anybody else other than myself, but I do think I feel the same way about my Crossfire as do alot of other forum members. That being said, my Crossfire is my "baby", and I don't treat my baby the same way I treat my everyday car. My baby gets parked in out of the way locations, to keep it from experiencing door dings and nicks in the paint. My baby isn't parked out in the hot sun for long periods. It enjoys more frequent wax jobs, and baths. If I know there is a possibility of showers, I figure why not drive the family truckster instead of my baby, even though I'm sure it can handle the wet road conditions. Why get it covered top and bottom with all that road crud if you don't have to?
I know my car probably isn't worth 17k, but that really has nothing to do with the way I feel when ever I'm driving it. It's a sports car, (no matter what negative things some critics may say about it) and even though it's not an exotic, to me, it might as well be. Because I feel like a celebrity everytime I'm behind the wheel. Judging by the admiring looks I get from many other drivers and pedestrians that see it as I drive by, it commands as much attention as any Porsche, Jag, Vette, or BMW currently available.
So, I guess that's why I feel it's special, and deserves the VIP treatment.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ashonfire
I can not speak for anybody else other than myself, but I do think I feel the same way about my Crossfire as do alot of other forum members. That being said, my Crossfire is my "baby", and I don't treat my baby the same way I treat my everyday car. My baby gets parked in out of the way locations, to keep it from experiencing door dings and nicks in the paint. My baby isn't parked out in the hot sun for long periods. It enjoys more frequent wax jobs, and baths. If I know there is a possibility of showers, I figure why not drive the family truckster instead of my baby, even though I'm sure it can handle the wet road conditions. Why get it covered top and bottom with all that road crud if you don't have to?
I know my car probably isn't worth 17k, but that really has nothing to do with the way I feel when ever I'm driving it. It's a sports car, (no matter what negative things some critics may say about it) and even though it's not an exotic, to me, it might as well be. Because I feel like a celebrity everytime I'm behind the wheel. Judging by the admiring looks I get from many other drivers and pedestrians that see it as I drive by, it commands as much attention as any Porsche, Jag, Vette, or BMW currently available.
So, I guess that's why I feel it's special, and deserves the VIP treatment.
Agree with you 100% , I couldn't have said it better... I also keep it out of the rain and snow.

Last edited by acrispy1; 12-04-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Emthusiast
I have driven it in Rain. I must say it did very well. Did not slip any.

Snow is a different story. It is a RWD and RWD's do not do well in snow from what i hear. Plus I have the PS2's and not going to install Winter or all season tires on it. So I will not drive it when it snows (risky but possible). I will drive my other car then (I prefer not to call it a beater).
I plan to use it in the winter but not in snow/icy conditions. No way am I storing it away for 3 months.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with ashonfire, to me my XF may as well be "six-figure Euro exotic". Going out and purchasing a two seater is a luxury for me and probably other XF owners also. I know some will say it is only a "20 to 35k whatever dollar" chrysler but for someone like me that is a lot and it's also a selfish dream come true, so I baby mine. I am just a regular guy that doesn't have much money and could not be prouder to be seen in my sports car showing off. Now as for being a daily driver, why not if that is what you want!!

Old 12-04-2006, 04:21 PM

Count me in as one of the 'daily drivers'. I've owned a lot of cars - many of which could not be considered very good 'all season' models (MG, Triumph Fiat, Jaguar, etc.). But I've always driven them year round. The only real reason to keep miles off a car is if the additional miles will significantly reduce the car's value, and I don't think that's the issue with the Crossfire.

Besides, this car originally (in SLK version) was designed for use in Europe, which, incidentally, resembles the Midwest and Northeast when it comes to weather.

So, as for me, I'll make use of the often-repaired seat heaters, the traction control, and the heat recirculation and drive my Crossfire every chance I get - sun, rain, or snow.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Why the weather woes?

I am blessed that I work from home and never have to commute, my Roadster Limited is my daily driver. Will only drive in rain or bad weather when I have to. When I purchased the car new in NY it only saw snow twice. Here in Central Virginia we get very little snow (so far), I am more worried about the idiots who do not know how to drive in bad weather.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:47 PM

Ok so I did pay close to 40k with tax and warranty because I wanted the roadster and it was new at the time. But I have had other roadsters and never drove any of them after the roads were salted her in Ohio. The chrome doesn't pit, the top doesn't get impregnated with salt and it doesn't get dings in the hood from salt being thrown up by cars and salt trucks. Plus I feel like I am violating the car driving it in the crap on the roads and the huge chuckholes we get up here in the winter. When I get it out in the spring it is clean, waxed and ready to go. The only problem I have had is that batteries tend not to last long when not used (i have tried trickle chargers without any success... now i just start it up once a month). There is one financial benefit, I drop the insurance (all but comp) and save 6 months worth of premiums.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I am in the 'It's my baby' AND the 'It's my daily driver' categories.

I drive the car every day and put about 40-50 miles on it each day. I have driven in sunshine and rain so far without a problem.

The first time on a track at Buttonwillow Raceway Park (Buttonwillow, CA), it was raining a bit and got first hand experience of what the ESP and Traction Control can do to save your butt on a wet road. I was VERY impressed.

I will be making a trip with my wife back to see my parents in just over two weeks time for the holidays. Only part of my trip that I was nervous about is the pass just after Albuquerque, New Mexico on Interstate 40. The peak is just over 7,200 feet elevation (2,200 meters). I made sure to set my driving schedule so that I will be going over the pass around noon to 2 pm.

My parents have informed me that they already got some snow just last week. This is very early in the year for snow in Mountain Home, Arkansas. It will be an interesting trip. I will be sure to relay any 'adventures' that may arise or 'notes' about snow/ice/sleet performance should I hit any of that nasty stuff.

Lastly... Planning ahead for the trip I replaced the ContiTouring tires I had with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season tires (best snow rating on tire rack for an All Season tire that could be found in our size). See my signature for wheels and tires if you want more info.

Cheers!

Old 12-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm with Buckeyedad42, even though we only live about 15 miles away from each other (and have yet to meet) we transverse the same roads. North East Ohio winters have an incredible way of "dissolving" automobiles that dare travel on it's well "seasoned" and "pot-holed" highways. Maybe it's because of our close proximity to one of the largest "Salt Mines" in the world (that extends for miles under Lake Erie), that Cleveland and Akron never seem shy about their use of liberal sodium usage. Even though there has yet to be any snow accumulation of any kind (in our neck of the woods) road crews have been very generous with their annual spreading of the "salt brine" for over a month now.
It's for that reason alone that my Crossfire, Viper, AMX, and Miata spend the winter months in hibernation. Only my Hondas and my van will see the white stuff, and they get "high pressure" hosed off regularly.
If that wasn't reason enough, even with traction control the Crossfire would never be able to climb my steep driveway with the slightest hint of ice or snow on it. So even if I was so inclined to dismiss the perils of winter driving and venture out in the XF, I'd still have to walk the last 224 feet just to get home.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Hehehe... he said 'inclined' hehehe... (Pun found... return to owner).

Old 12-04-2006, 07:12 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but here in Ohio it is the salt, more than anything that keeps me from making a winter car out of my xf. I grew up driving rear wheel drive vehicles and my Chevy p/u is rear wheel drive, they do still get you where you want to go in winter. And unfortunately at this point my daily driver could very well have a higher resale value than the xf. I bought the xf as an investment, not the monetary kind , but for the way it makes me feel, I feel good when I drive it and I do like the attention. What I'm trying to say is I want to hang on to the xf for a long time and I know winter roads won't let that happen. Besides I really do need to slow down on putting on the miles, they are adding up too fast.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Hehehe... he said 'inclined' hehehe... (Pun found... return to owner)
Only a true San Francisco native would ever catch that.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:21 PM

We're wimps here in So. Cal. and don't have to deal with the salt on the roads or the clumps of asphalt that the plows extract from the road to destroy your car... And the person behind you on the highway when your tires start kicking-up gravel, sand, salt, dead dogs, etc...

Ah... What a life... PS: it's 78 degrees here today...

Old 12-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Forum Regular

Salt on roads? Snow? Ice? What are those things??

Sun, rain, more sun and more sun... those are what I know... but we do have the occasional cold days - like today being 69 for the high and tonight its expected to be in the upper 40's.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:24 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh no...not the 40s.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:27 PM

In SW Ohio we don't get that much snow usually about 2 or 3 annually, averaging a few inches , once in awhile we get a big one 6 to 10" but I can drive all year with minimal issues.

Quick Reply: Why the weather woes?