Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

sell me your front plate bracket?

Old 12-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sell me your front plate bracket?

I just bought a gray SRT roadster today and I love it! Of course, living in Illinois I now need a front plate bracket. The car didn't come with one and I don't feel like being arrested without one. Seems like a lot of you folks don't use your brackets, so who wants to sell me one? Let me know how much you want including shipping.

Mitch
'05 Gray SRT Roadster
'69 Orange Firebird 400 Convertible
'02 Acura TL Type S

Old 12-10-2006, 12:00 AM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: sell me your front plate bracket?

Originally Posted by mss400
I just bought a gray SRT roadster today and I love it! Of course, living in Illinois I now need a front plate bracket. The car didn't come with one and I don't feel like being arrested without one. Seems like a lot of you folks don't use your brackets, so who wants to sell me one? Let me know how much you want including shipping.
I live in Illinois and have not used a front plate in 10 years. Never been stopped for that.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can have mine... if I can find it. All you'll have to do is pay for shipping.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:47 AM

That would be great! Let me know ...

Mitch

Old 12-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will look for mine to incase he can't find his. i live in minnesota all you have to pay for is shipping.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found it... Just PM me your address and I'll ship, and you can pay me when you get it. You could also make your own bracket to mount from underneath like I have, just a thought.

Last edited by 04Fire; 12-10-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:13 PM

Arrested for not running a front plate? I hope you're kidding. I live in VA and we have the same front plate law, though I have not run one on any of my cars in years without being pulled yet. In fact, I recently had a body shop plug the holes from the original bracket and respray the bumper (it needed to be resprayed regardless). I would just chance it if I were you; the worst that can happen is you'll get something like a $25 ticket.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front plate is required here in Ohio. My daughter bought a new car that didn't have a front plate bracket and got pulled over by the LAWMAN for it. Now she has one. Too bad. So sad......

Old 12-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritzauf
The front plate is required here in Ohio. My daughter bought a new car that didn't have a front plate bracket and got pulled over by the LAWMAN for it. Now she has one. Too bad. So sad......
i'm in ohio as well... and i refuse to deface my crossfire... she is way too pretty without it... no holes for me. i have been running all of my cars (hole free/plate free) for over 10 years with no front plate... no tickets thus far... but it all depends on what part of ohio you are in. local tickets = $100.

ps - knocking on wood.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:58 PM

Thanks 04Fire. I'll PM you. By the way, I'm an attorney who represents only traffic and criminal cases and used to prosecute those cases for the State. Not only do I have LOTS of clients who get pulled over for no plate, but I've been pulled over myself in the past for that reason. I think that any day you can avoid getting pulled over is a good day. It's not so much that it's just a little ticket, it's that the police around here see it as an invitation to look in your car, smell your breath and if they're bored, just make something up. Even though police usually let me go, I'd rather not talk to any.

Mitch
'05 Gray SRT Roadster
'69 Orange Firebord 400 Convertible
'02 Black Acura TL Type S

Old 12-11-2006, 11:55 AM
raulito11

I would suggest you get the front plate bracket...I myself live in Chicago and have already been given a ticket for no front plate...have your dealership order you the bracket, they should also install it for you. It should be the dealers responsibility here in Illinois for all their car's to have the front plate bracket regardless if the owner wants it or not...STATE LAW.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:04 PM

My brother has a Corvette that he didn't put a front plate on. He lives near Columbus Ohio, he ran it for a little while and then got stopped by his local police dept. They gave him 72 hrs to get it put on then he had to take it to the barracks to get it inspected. Being the smart-aleck he is, when he got to the barracks he pulled into a spot heading away from the building so they would have to physically come outside to check it. Unfortunately, when he went into the building the guy behind the desk was in a wheelchair, then he didn't feel so smug, but I haven't learned anything from his mistakes. I still don't have a plate on the front of my Crossfire, probably won't til I'm told to, then we'll have to think about it.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:47 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks 04Fire. I'll PM you. By the way, I'm an attorney who represents only traffic and criminal cases and used to prosecute those cases for the State. Not only do I have LOTS of clients who get pulled over for no plate, but I've been pulled over myself in the past for that reason. I think that any day you can avoid getting pulled over is a good day. It's not so much that it's just a little ticket, it's that the police around here see it as an invitation to look in your car, smell your breath and if they're bored, just make something up. Even though police usually let me go, I'd rather not talk to any.
I guess you're right. From a practical standpoint it’s best to be prudent. Why take the chance.
I haven’t had one in more than 10 years, and have not been stopped.Call it luck. In fact, I’ve been pulled over for other reasons, and they have never said anything. I made it a point driving to work one day (21 miles) to count the number of cars without a front license plate. I was driving with traffic, so the number of cars going the opposite way were less. I counted 48 cars all the way to our parking lot. There are quite a few cars in Illinois with no front plate. If I were a cop and had to meet my quota, boy I would have a field day. I guess it comes down to the mood of the cop.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do not have a front plate on my Crossfire, Viper, or my Miata simply because it looks terrible on them (IMO). I know it's the law here in Ohio, but I'm far from being alone in my A.L.P.P. (anti license plate protest) because I see dozens of cars every day with no front plate.
I know it only takes one police officer (with a bug up his rear) to ruin my whole day for breaking such an important law, but I guess that's just a chance I'm willing to take.
There has been talk of the state doing away with the law, and thus allowing them to cut their material expenses in 1/2 by only using 1 plate, but the Ohio Highway Patrol lobbies against it everytime, saying that it is paramount in identifying cars that are being used in the commission of a crime. In other words, it makes an excellent target to reflect their radar and laser beams from.
The law is biased and prejudicial because motorcycles, and auto dealers only need to use one plate, as do many other states. And it's enforcement is completely arbitrary. Another thing that doesn't make sense, is the police don't seem too bothered by fellow police officers displaying their "badges" on "their" rear license plates that can obscure 1/2 the #'s and letters, thus making it unreadable. Even though I do believe there is a law that says you can't put anything on your plate that will interfere with it being read.
Sorry for the long post, but this subject always gets me upset. Next time I'll tell you how I feel about police chases.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:32 PM

Like alot of folks I don't run a front plate either. Been pulled over more times than I can count, never a problem. With the plate that is...

Old 12-13-2006, 06:12 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to think of that law as more of guide line. I figure if I get pulled over for just not having a front license plate I'll thank the officer for a job well done eradicating all the gang element, meth labs, drive by shootings, rapes, child molestations so he could focus on bring those of us running around without a front plate. However, if I get pulled over for a moving violation and get a ticket for no front plate I'll just have to consider it as collateral damage.