Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...

Old 06-29-2008, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...

Add me to the list, a 05 SRT6 Coupe with a little line of rust starting to form right at the seam! Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. carries a rust stopper that is basically a POR-15-type chemical, but in a smaller bottle that doesn't cost a fortune. In my experience (going back to a piece I've had since 1991) it does just as good a job. I used that on the entire slot, not just the rust. It stays clear unless it contacts rust, when it turns it black. I also drilled a few drainage holes and notched the seal above the holes to help the water out and air in. As to the seal, make sure that bottom part is tucked in all the way to the groove, then the top just pops in!

I agree with the opinions above, in that its a design flaw and that it will affect ALL Crossfires.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:59 AM
Default Door Rust

Just spent the last two weeks repairing the rust at the lower door seal retainer. I sandblasted (which is no small task keeping sand out of everywhere), applied POR-15, primed, painted and clear-coated. It looks great for now. But I've dealt with rust before. I've heard that POR-15 is some good stuff, but rust can be even tougher and I suspect it will be back. Time will tell. Has anyone taken the time to figure out exactly where the water is coming from - as in how it actually migrates to behind the door seal. I'm starting that witch hunt today. I will do the best sealing I can to keep the water from getting in. If I can't, I'm afraid all of my work will have been a waste of time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.JPG (101.5 KB, 130 views)
2.JPG (103.1 KB, 112 views)
3.JPG (117.3 KB, 103 views)
4.JPG (108.6 KB, 107 views)
5.JPG (110.1 KB, 122 views)
Old 08-31-2008, 07:07 PM
Forum Regular

I have also treated both my srt-6's doors with the por-15, and they both took a lot of time and effort. They did come out well, and i hope the rust doesn't return!

after I reinserted the weather stripping. I actually took electrical tape and sealed the outside edge of the weatherstripping, thinking that the water was coming in from there. I sealed it from the top (near the mirror) allk the way around the entire stripping to the inside top by the hinges. After the 1st major rain, i pulled out the bottom of the weatherstripping looking to see if water go under there again...And yep!! lots of water! So the water is coming in from somehere else, and getting behind the stripping! Where its coming in from I have no idea!!!

Now the only choice I have is to:
not drive the car in the rain or wash it.
or pull off the weatherstripping everytime it gets wet!

I have brought this issue to the attention of Doug Betts quality group at Chrysler. As a member of the Customer advisory panel they are at least trying to help me with this problem. And his team handles issues that the dealers refuse to fix. If they can help me with my issue then it can trickle down to everyone else. Maybe they can somehow offer a solution???

I also brought up the naviagtion issue with using the old 2004 maps in the 2008 cars.

Lets see what happens??

Last edited by antonio311; 08-31-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:15 AM

Thanks for the effort. Really appreciate what you have done for such an important problem for us STR6 owners.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

join

Last edited by Davis; 09-10-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Cool Re: WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...

I've been looking into this problem for a while; as here in UK we have prolonged rain and very salty roads for most of the year. Allthough I have no rust I have noticed water collecting in the usual place, but only on one side of the car. I have now found the route of the water and have cured the problem. Now, even in the biggest downpour of rain, no water is present. I'll try to explain this as clearly as I can!

There is a rubber seal around the small triangular side windows, and along the bottom edge of the window, the seal is broader as it sits on the bodywork to form a window sill. Allthough it appears to sit neatly on the bodywork, allowing water to run down the window, over the seal and down the side of the car, in fact water was easily getting right under the seal, out of sight, where it ran towards the door opening. It then ran into the door gap on the interior of the door seal (inside the car). It then drips onto the door case, and runs down the door, on the interior side of the rubber door seal, collecting in the channel, as it has nowhere else to gather.

I proved this by filling a 2 gallon watering can with water and added a tiny bit of water based green dye and poured it on my car. There was lots of green water trapped in the channel where the rust appears.

So to cure it, on a nice dry sunny day I lifted the rubber seal away from the body,
and it was soaking wet under there! After completely drying it out I used Evostick (rubber contact adhesive) to firmly glue the rubber seal down against the body so no water gets in there. Every time I wash the car or get caught in the rain I check it. Since then Ive smeared a little bit of waxoil inside there and under the doors as a water repelent. So far so good!
Cheers Steve
Cheers Steve - UK
P.S. - I will have a word with woody (hint hint woody!) about making a short video of this process!

Last edited by Steve - UK; 09-02-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:32 PM

Steve - UK:

If your supposition is correct I guess it would follow that roadsters are not affected by the rust issue ?

Old 09-04-2008, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy
Steve - UK:

If your supposition is correct I guess it would follow that roadsters are not affected by the rust issue ?
I'm not fully familiar with the roadster body design in that precise location on the car as Ive never looked that closely - it would be interesting to hear of any rust on roadster door bottoms, or indeed, reports of the water build up? Good point Tommy! I will take a look at the roadster when I next see one.
Tonight Ive returned from a 5 day business trip and I know its been raining heavily here all week - my car has been sat outside in this, so I just checked it out and its bone dry.

Last edited by Steve - UK; 09-04-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve - UK
I'm not fully familiar with the roadster body design in that precise location on the car as Ive never looked that closely - it would be interesting to hear of any rust on roadster door bottoms, or indeed, reports of the water build up? Good point Tommy! I will take a look at the roadster when I next see one.
Tonight Ive returned from a 5 day business trip and I know its been raining heavily here all week - my car has been sat outside in this, so I just checked it out and its bone dry.
17,000 miles. No rust, but it rarely sees rain. I wash the vehicle thoroughly and keep the doors open (interior light off) and blot up the pooling water on the sill and from the bottom of the door over the next hour.

Quite a lot of water finds it's way between the weatherstripping on the bottom of both doors, even in a light rain.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:02 AM

Follow - up
Just been nlooking at the roadstrer, and the same design is there allthough the rubber seal is shorter and seems to fit better with less potential for water to get under it and run down the inside of the door and gather you know where!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:40 AM

I've been looking into this problem for a while; as here in UK we have prolonged rain and very salty roads for most of the year. Allthough I have no rust I have noticed water collecting in the usual place, but only on one side of the car. I have now found the route of the water and have cured the problem. Now, even in the biggest downpour of rain, no water is present. I'll try to explain this as clearly as I can!

There is a rubber seal around the small triangular side windows, and along the bottom edge of the window, the seal is broader as it sits on the bodywork to form a window sill. Allthough it appears to sit neatly on the bodywork, allowing water to run down the window, over the seal and down the side of the car, in fact water was easily getting right under the seal, out of sight, where it ran towards the door opening. It then ran into the door gap on the interior of the door seal (inside the car). It then drips onto the door case, and runs down the door, on the interior side of the rubber door seal, collecting in the channel, as it has nowhere else to gather.

I proved this by filling a 2 gallon watering can with water and added a tiny bit of water based green dye and poured it on my car. There was lots of green water trapped in the channel where the rust appears.

So to cure it, on a nice dry sunny day I lifted the rubber seal away from the body,
and it was soaking wet under there! After completely drying it out I used Evostick (rubber contact adhesive) to firmly glue the rubber seal down against the body so no water gets in there. Every time I wash the car or get caught in the rain I check it. Since then Ive smeared a little bit of waxoil inside there and under the doors as a water repelent. So far so good!
Cheers Steve
Cheers Steve - UK
P.S. - I will have a word with woody (hint hint woody!) about making a short video of this process!
Steve - great detective work. You are the man!

Old 09-07-2008, 01:10 PM

Steve-UK,
Thanks for the information - I think you're totally on to the root cause. I'm still am not exactly sure which side of the small triangular rubber seal is the issue? I believe it's the point towards the hood in the front of the mirror. To further clarify the rubber seal tracks the body about even with the front of the mirror (mirror side) and then runs clear to the back of the mirror towards the front of the car. The problem area of seal is that area that is actually over the vertical channel (back side of mirror closer to front of car)? This is the area that needs to be sealed?

A picture would be worth a thousand words if you could post something to get us by until a video is available?

I was all set to POR 15 this today per Andrew's game-plan but I'm just a deer staring into a headlight without fully understanding root cause.

My plan from here:
1) I'm going to see what dealer will do. If long process without an answer I'm moving forward with POR-15 (I'm going to make sure channel is dry with hairdryer as first step and use all the Por-15 recommended prep chemicals to prepare surface)
2) I'll seal triangular part of rubber seal once further clarified per above.
3) Also seal the two channel opening for good measure on track but I don't believe this is the issue.

Concerns:
1) I'm not sure we will win the war once rust has started no matter how small. For this reason I want to hear what dealer will do. Also I don't think we should have to repair especially if still under warranty - but I'm also concerned about Car-Fax event (hence deer staring in headlight).
2) I'm not convinced you can put Por-15 over a painted surface but it still seems the best Do-it-your-self solution.

Thanks for educational information on this post.

Last edited by Larame_SRT6; 09-07-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Forum Regular

Oh Lordy, now I have to lay on the garage floor...what next!!! Thanks for the info...I am really learning a lot about my car from you guys...just got my waxing kit in the mail with all the CD's...put my new license plate from on...now need to get my new wind restrictor installed...and waiting for my clay thingy to arrive...

Old 09-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Forum Regular

OK guys, Good investigation work on finding out how the water is getting in there.

I may have some good news. According to my discussions with the head of the Chrysler advisory board. After I brought this issue to the attention of Doug Betts (chief quality engineer) at Chrysler. his team is now aware of this problem and they are actively working on it. I'll let you know the sloution after they fix my car.
After my local dealer didn't fix the problem, They had another dealer call me to set up an appointment to get it fixed. But I'll let you know exactly what they do. Supposedly theres 4 fixes in the works to fix this problem, lets hope that at least 1 works!

Chrysler is really working hard to fix the major quality issues Daimler blessed Chrysler with. At least now Chrysler is listening and fixing them.

I'll let u know what happens.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Forum Regular

Also I have the roadster & the coupe. Both had rust and water under the stripping. But the Coupe had MORE. So please check your roadsters for water also.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:48 AM

Thank you antonio311 for all that you have done so far. This really means a lot to all the Crossfire forum members. It is really nice to have connections to the right people. Thanks again.

Dennis

Old 09-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Forum Regular

Trying the best i can, to get a working solution.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:46 PM

that should be covered under warranty...i thought the cars were made out of galvanized steel.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:38 AM
Forum Regular

Listen, even galvanized steel will rust if water is held against it for long periods of time. And even if Chrysler fixes it under warranty, do you want your car to rust???
I don't.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:47 PM

join

Last edited by Davis; 09-10-2020 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply: WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...