Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...

Old 11-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts
Default Re: WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...

Originally Posted by hpmotors
All of the advice on being proactive is excellent.
However, I think it would be more than the NE. Anyone living in states that use salt to remove snow and ice need to look out for this. I major league endorser the POR15 products - used them for years. I would add that spraying a rust inhibitor INSIDE the blind box sections of the car are critical if you plan to keep the car.

Having lived near Pittsburgh PA, Queens NYC and many years in Germany - I have an idea of what corrosion can do to cars that folks who live in the south where I am now cannot relate to. We have gotten so used to working on "southern" cars that when we get one in that is from up north it is a real shock. Of course the rustiest Miata I ever worked on had spent many years in Hawaii - so folks who live near the ocean also have to beware.
In Canada we put a positive spin on rusting, the cars get lighter so we save gas.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a point of intrest and not to start a lot of negative comments, How many of these rust problems are found on white cars compared to other colors? Just a thought which was touched on before.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Warren Smith
Just a point of intrest and not to start a lot of negative comments, How many of these rust problems are found on white cars compared to other colors? Just a thought which was touched on before.
Mine is red and has rust.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:47 AM

Hey, I guess there is no validity to white cars showing rust symptoms before other colors. I guess the old guy who told me years ago was incorrect. However I have noticed in my experience over the years, many years I might add, that white cars have a tendency to show rust early especialllyin the weld areas of those cars. Not much response to my thread but maybe it didn't warrant much discussion. It is still , in my opinion, food for thought.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:35 AM

I wish I had seen this thread sooner! I bought my 2004 crossfire in 2011 with 11k on it. practically new. I noticed rust where the hatch sits on the body, the paint continues to chip away no matter how I adjust the seats but never did I think I'd find rust under the door in the seal! this is very disheartening but NOT as bad as the original pictures on the thread. moisture was still inside, I'm glad I saw this rather than not at all. my baby has a second chance. if anybody knows how to seat the hatch so that it stops chipping away at the paint please inform me I have tried everything!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by sxfire56
I wish I had seen this thread sooner! I bought my 2004 crossfire in 2011 with 11k on it. practically new. I noticed rust where the hatch sits on the body, the paint continues to chip away no matter how I adjust the seats but never did I think I'd find rust under the door in the seal! this is very disheartening but NOT as bad as the original pictures on the thread. moisture was still inside, I'm glad I saw this rather than not at all. my baby has a second chance. if anybody knows how to seat the hatch so that it stops chipping away at the paint please inform me I have tried everything!
I had the same issue with the back hatch. I ended up fashioning a little pad out of double stick tape and rubber for where the rubber feet land on the body. It turns out that it looks like it could have been OEM and is no longer affecting the paint. I did have to adjust the feet up a little bit to compensate for the height of the pads I made, but after a little care, one can get a very sound latch and fit when the hatch is closed. When I close it now, it gives a very secure latch sound and has no wiggle.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by shatteredhourglass
I had the same issue with the back hatch. I ended up fashioning a little pad out of double stick tape and rubber for where the rubber feet land on the body. It turns out that it looks like it could have been OEM and is no longer affecting the paint. I did have to adjust the feet up a little bit to compensate for the height of the pads I made, but after a little care, one can get a very sound latch and fit when the hatch is closed. When I close it now, it gives a very secure latch sound and has no wiggle.
Thank you that sounds like a good fix I will have to give it a try

Old 09-13-2013, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
In Canada we put a positive spin on rusting, the cars get lighter so we save gas.

Funny guy.....I'm in B.C., Canada...where are you? Are there Crossie get togethers for Canadians? I have no noticed rust on my 2005 Coupe Limited yet. How would they get rust with that skid plate running the length of the car? BTW I just bought my baby August 2013 and love it. Trying to figure out how to post a pic of the car.....

you guys are great, so glad I found you!!

Dianne
hotwheels

Old 09-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

That 'skid plate' does NOT run the length of the car, it stops between the engine and the transmission ......

Old 12-15-2013, 09:53 PM

i'll have to check this out. i do see a little rust on where the hatch meets the body. i'll check the doors tomorrow.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:56 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

~ it's hard to visually see the rust under the doors until the weather stripping is pulled back/loose and the welded area exposed.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

(Without going back 20 pages to see if this has been mentioned before). I think using automotive "Seam Sealer" might be all that's needed to prevent the rust from starting.
https://www.google.com/#q=seam+sealer
But since the rust problem has already started on many Crossfires already, it might be a good way to keep it from coming back after repairing the rust damage.
I don't know why Karmann didn't use it on the door in the 1st. place. They had no problem using seam sealer under the hood on the inner fender shock towers.

Last edited by +fireamx; 04-28-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't aware of this, but I saw some dried rust on my door sill and looked. Sure enough, had some rust bubbles on the driver's side door! Gotta get underway. I can't seem to make heads or tails on something, though: Should I clean the rust and paint off before sealing it? Should I take the door panel off to see if there is any inside the door?

Old 05-11-2014, 10:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lildaddym
I wasn't aware of this, but I saw some dried rust on my door sill and looked. Sure enough, had some rust bubbles on the driver's side door! Gotta get underway. I can't seem to make heads or tails on something, though: Should I clean the rust and paint off before sealing it? Should I take the door panel off to see if there is any inside the door?
The rust problem seems to be out in the open where you can see it after pulling out the rubber seal, as in Andrews photos at the beginning of this thread. . If you follow his procedure using Por 15, or Por Patch, you should be good to go.
I have a good friend who restores old cars for a living, and he swears by Por 15 products.
Good Luck

Old 05-29-2014, 03:23 PM

I didn't get a clear answer...should I remove the bubbles or not? I don't know that just painting over them is OK... I don't know if anyone has thought of this, but why not clear FlexSeal? About the drains, mine look narrow...should I open them a bit?

Last edited by lildaddym; 05-29-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:28 PM

I didn't get a clear answer...should I remove the bubbles or not? I don't know that just painting over them is OK...
Remove bubbles and loose rust by scraping and brushing.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:30 PM

Can do on the scraping and brushing...wire brush, yes?

Old 05-29-2014, 03:41 PM

Can do on the scraping and brushing...wire brush, yes?
Wire brush - yes.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Wire brush - yes.
Thanks so much for the help, sir! I appreciate it very much!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:30 PM
Forum Regular

In my experience restoring cars, I would then treat it with a rust neutralizer solution and then repaint.

If it is not done you will be back doing it again. As I remind my self all the time, do it right the first time.

Joe

PS restorations include- TR3, TR6, MGA, MG TD so I know a little about rust with those old British cars.

Quick Reply: WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...